Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Mesa Temple, 1957

Mesa Temple, 1957

By: Ardis E. Parshall - February 17, 2017

1. That is a beautiful picture. Thanks.

Comment by Ender2k — February 17, 2017 @ 1:34 pm

2. Thanks for commenting on it, Ender2k — I like it, too, and hoped it might be especially attractive to Arizonans.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 17, 2017 @ 2:13 pm

3. I’m a generation removed from being an Arizonan, but since my parents were married there, I feel a special tie to that temple. Nice photo, Ardis!

Comment by Mark B. — February 17, 2017 @ 4:02 pm

4. I’m glad, Mark! Thank you. 🙂

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 17, 2017 @ 4:40 pm

5. I’m sure the first photo I ever saw of the Mesa temple was very like this – probably in Rulon Howells’ “The Mormon Story”. I was convinced the temple was right out in the middle of the desert because of the mass of cacti that seemed to surround it!

Comment by Alison — February 17, 2017 @ 5:18 pm

6. The whole area is a beautiful desert. The current Mesa temple landscaping has a lot of palm trees and grass which doesn’t quite fit in my opinion. The Tucson temple is exciting in that it appears to be planned with mostly native landscaping: http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/tucson/.

Comment by Jay Anderson — February 17, 2017 @ 11:30 pm

7. Such a dense planting of cactus would be difficult to keep in order. I spent the summer last year in Mesa in a house with a lot of cactus, but they were in no way so close together, and it was a literal pain to extract bits of wind blown trash out of the cactus spines. I think they were wise to clear off the cactus. As to the palms, it makes it seem like a true oasis.

Comment by Eric B — February 18, 2017 @ 12:30 am