Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » “Zion Is Growing”: Stakes as of March 1963

“Zion Is Growing”: Stakes as of March 1963

By: Ardis E. Parshall - February 10, 2017

1. A lot of maps of “number of X in the United States” end up just looking like population density maps, which in turn look like maps of water availability — you can look at them and say “yup, it’s arid out here, west of the 100th meridian.” It’s kind of delightful how thoroughly this map reverses that expectation.

Comment by Mike R. — February 10, 2017 @ 11:55 am

2. I love the implied excitement of the growth in the table at the top of the chart showing the years it took to get to 50 stakes, then 100, then 150 …

I would be interested in knowing where the 50 stakes off the map are. Hawaii? England?

Comment by Sarah in Georgia — February 10, 2017 @ 5:53 pm

3. On Mike’s theme I wonder if a conference talk was ever given, “We are an arid people.” And speaking of arid, I note my birth stake in southeastern Oregon at Nyssa, established 1950. The much earlier one in blue appears to be the Union Stake in the Grande Ronde Valley; La Grande, Oregon being the principal city although there is a town named “Union.” Why there? Sugar beets.

Comment by Grant — February 13, 2017 @ 10:08 am

4. Hmmm. I think Richard Cowan (if its the same person) was one of my professors at BYU. He wrote a book called “The Church in the Twentieth Century.”

What I find interesting, given that this is a map, is that he is blind.

I’m sure he did contribute to this map — I remember being quite impressed at his abilities. I guess that this is just an excuse to give a shout out to a very capable man.

Comment by Kent Larsen — February 16, 2017 @ 2:00 pm

5. A welcome shout out, too. He is amazing.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 16, 2017 @ 2:02 pm

6. I had a blind professor in college too. It was a tough class because we had to explain things clearly when answering his questions. No diagrams allowed.

Comment by eric boysen — February 16, 2017 @ 10:22 pm