Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Jack the Ripper and the Lady Missionaries

Jack the Ripper and the Lady Missionaries

By: Ardis E. Parshall - July 09, 2014

Sorry — that’s a bait-and-switch title. Sort of.

I think we’ve talked about William Jarman before, the man who spent a few years in Utah as a Latter-day Saint, then returned to England and engaged in one of history’s foulest long-term campaigns against Mormonism. He gave lectures, sometimes dressed in temple robes, filled with lurid tales of murder and sex slavery among the Mormons. He attracted audiences to his lectures with posters and handbills, like this one:

It was Jarman – and others like him – and handbills like this – and others like them – that prompted a new era in LDS public relations and led, not too indirectly, to new opportunities and responsibilities for Latter-day Saint women.

The Church has produced a short video (under 9 minutes) telling the story of – well, click here to see the story. And then I hope you’ll come back to Keepa to leave a comment about your reaction to that video.

1. It was impossible not to read the article once I read the headline.

“Boss Ripper Brigham Young” . . . heh.

Comment by Adam G. — July 9, 2014 @ 8:19 am

2. Heh, heh …

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — July 9, 2014 @ 8:28 am

3. Loved the video. I watched it just now with my barely-teenaged daughter who also loved it. She spontaneously cheered at hearing the lowering of the mission age in conference and she said this was ‘awesome to know about.’ It seems like such a logical response to fear-mongering about Mormon women, to actually send some, that it should have occurred so someone sooner.

Comment by Rachelle — July 9, 2014 @ 10:05 am

4. Thank you for providing that video link. Somehow, I had missed that one prior to today. It was an unexpected pleasure during my lunch hour.
    As as aside, the sister missionaries assigned to our stake completely blow away the elders in every missionary statistic, reported and unreported. We are very grateful to those families in Utah, Idaho, California and other areas that raised such choice daughters.

Comment by David R — July 9, 2014 @ 11:37 am

5. #4 Tennessee Nashville Mission in case their families see this post.

Comment by David R — July 9, 2014 @ 12:02 pm

6. Loved this line, “Hashshashiyun, in plain English.”

Comment by kevinf — July 9, 2014 @ 1:23 pm

7. The video was very nice. I love to see the church and its historians exploring the contributions of Mormon women. I taught my SS class about the first women missionaries last time I had a lesson about missionary work, and it was a ton of fun to teach new stories that they hadn’t heard before, especially with women as the protagonists. This video would have been a fun addition.

Comment by Crocus — July 9, 2014 @ 4:34 pm

8. Very cool, Ardis

David R, don’t forget there are now more Sister missionaries in the Tennessee Nashville Mission than there are Elders. I wonder how many missions are like that?

Oh and Tennessee Rocks!