Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » “I Take Up My Pen”: French Mission, 1924

“I Take Up My Pen”: French Mission, 1924

By: Ardis E. Parshall - June 25, 2014

1. Is that really “No. 12, Avenue of the Station of the Living Waters”?

Comment by Mark B. — June 25, 2014 @ 11:27 am

2. How appropriate for a church office, no? Let’s just be glad that it’s “living waters” and not “waters of life,” ’cause that would be better translated as “brandy.”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — June 25, 2014 @ 11:33 am

3. Eaux des vives? That little article makes it brandy?

Maybe the bible has been mis-translated all these years! :)

Comment by Mark B. — June 25, 2014 @ 12:19 pm

4. Eaux-de-vie, but close enough.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — June 25, 2014 @ 12:29 pm

5. Ardis, So the French Mission was headquartered in Geneva and not Paris? I wonder what happened … (Did WWI have anything to do with this?)

Comment by Gary Bergera — June 25, 2014 @ 1:59 pm

6. This French mission was opened by the German-speaking Swiss mission because of having members in the French-speaking cantons, and they sent missionaries over the border to Lyon, the only place in France that they worked for quite a while.

It’s an entirely different French Mission than the pre-WWI mission in Belgium, which was opened by the Netherlands Mission to deal with the French-speaking converts in that part of their mission.

Everything closed down during the war, and it was the folks in Switzerland working again in Lyon that formed the more permanent French Mission, which eventually had headquarters in Paris.

Got that? It’s as complex as any genealogy puzzle!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — June 25, 2014 @ 2:47 pm

7. I think so … :-) Thanks.

Comment by Gary Bergera — June 25, 2014 @ 4:14 pm