Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Pre-Correlation Art; or, They Just Don’t Illustrate the Kids’ Magazine Like They Used To (A Keepa Classic)

By: Ardis E. Parshall - June 17, 2014

An oldie but goodie, from Keepa’s early days. The original conversation can be read here.

“Music Personified,” Juvenile Instructor, 1 August 1906, 456.

1. Nice. I guess today’s technology is incapable of doing such work….

Comment by rameumptom — June 17, 2014 @ 10:19 am

2. They would also have to photoshop in a T-shirt.

Comment by LauraN — June 17, 2014 @ 10:24 am

3. Socks and shoes, too?

Comment by Gary Bergera — June 17, 2014 @ 10:30 am

4. This is an indication of how fast things can move in our culture, or lack thereof. The conversation six years ago had the barest mention of a shoulder, and no hint of Photoshopping.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — June 17, 2014 @ 10:56 am

5. Styles come and go, but absurdity abides forever.

Besides the “photoshopping T-shirts” flap this year, there was another yearbook that refused to post a photo of a girl because she was wearing a tuxedo instead of a dress. That made me laugh, because she wasn’t wearing a tuxedo, and the other girls were not wearing dresses. They are all of them, every last senior, wearing fake clothes, either a velvet drape, or a fake tuxedo front. And who cares which fake item they’re wearing?

I’ve seen some of the dresses the girls wear to prom, when the boys wear tuxes. If I have the choice of seeing a girl dressed like a prostitute or a penguin, I’d pick the penguin any time. But nobody asks me.

Comment by LauraN — June 17, 2014 @ 11:06 am

6. My muse looks nothing like that.

Comment by kevinf — June 17, 2014 @ 11:10 am

7. Too bad, kevinf. I’m afraid that Clio looks like Nurse Diesel in an SS uniform. No bare-breasted Erato in soft focus like the musicians enjoy.

Your mother was right: you shoulda practiced the piano!

(But, seriously. The Juvenile Instructor wasn’t really a kids magazine, was it?)

Comment by Mark B. — June 17, 2014 @ 12:45 pm

8. Oh, yes, it was for children from the very beginning — filled with pictures and stories aimed specifically at children, with a column or two (“Topics of the Times”) directed to their parents. It did gradually shift, though, to become a magazine for parents and teachers with a small section for children, and finally to a magazine aimed entirely at adults.

In 1906 the shift was well under way, but there was still much material to be read by, or to read to, children.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — June 17, 2014 @ 1:39 pm

9. “Too much art for his old fart!” I really don’t know what to make of this picture. And to think I used to look forward to getting issues of National Geographic when I was a kid. Who would have thought I could have looked at an LDS children’s magazine? Maybe this explains why music and sex seem to go hand in hand. (We can leave out the drugs, thank you very much.)

Comment by IDIAT — June 17, 2014 @ 1:57 pm

10. The ruched/gathered effect on that skirt is just indecent.

Comment by Diana — June 18, 2014 @ 11:34 am