Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » “I Take Up My Pen”: Temple Square Mission and Bureau of Information, 1946

“I Take Up My Pen”: Temple Square Mission and Bureau of Information, 1946

By: Ardis E. Parshall - June 13, 2014

1. Interesting. I had no idea that “Temple Square Mission” had been used that long ago.

Comment by Mark B. — June 13, 2014 @ 10:11 am

2. The earliest awareness I have of this as a formally organized mission is 1939. It lasted with this name at least until 1950, but I don’t have access to records past that date that would tell when the name fell out of use.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — June 13, 2014 @ 10:16 am

3. Ardis, Did the Temple Square Mission have missionaries?

Comment by Gary Bergera — June 13, 2014 @ 2:36 pm

4. Their missionaries were the regular guides in the Bureau of Information and on Temple Square. The correspondence I’ve seen tends to be mostly with visitors who write thank you notes, or potential visitors inquiring about their welcome. There’s also paperwork about acquiring relics for the museum, and ordering tracts to give to visitors. Pretty much all the business that would have to be done to run the Bureau, set up as a mission organization.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — June 13, 2014 @ 2:59 pm

5. Is this the same David Smith who served as the first president of the Idaho Falls Temple?

Comment by The Other Clark — June 19, 2014 @ 11:09 am

6. This David A. Smith was a son of Joseph F. Smith and so far as I know always used his middle initial. I don’t know the Idaho Falls temple president.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — June 19, 2014 @ 11:35 am