Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » The Word Processor, 1968

The Word Processor, 1968

By: Ardis E. Parshall - April 25, 2014

Oh, the joy of owning a long-carriage typewriter! You could type your pedigree charts and family group sheets on those old-fashioned long forms without folding the paper!

From 1968 –

1. I think I learned on one of those. Told the teached I would never need this class (HS requirement) and now I do IT work all day long.

Comment by Mex Davis — April 25, 2014 @ 10:32 am

2. My parents bought a Smith Corona typewriter (with the long carriage to fit genealogical forms) about that time. I went off Googling hoping to see an image that would match and reinforce my fading memories of that machine. Either I couldn’t find the right one, or my memory is totally decrepit. Sort of like most typewriters these days.

Comment by Mark B. — April 25, 2014 @ 11:27 am

3. A couple of years back my teenage son became obsessed with typewriters and bought a couple and acquired a few more from family and friends. His favorite was a Smith Corona portable model in a case. This was manual not electric. He typed all of his high school papers on it because none of the other kids did, which made it “cool”. One day I decided to write a letter to a nephew on a mission and thought I would use his typewriter just for fun. I came to realize, that we must have had stronger finger back in the day. By the time I got through the second page my hands were aching, and I was having a hard time finishing. I guess I’ve been spoiled by the soft touch of the computer keyboard. The upside to the experience though, was the sound. That “thwack” of the type-bars hitting the paper and platen, echoing in the kitchen, was worth the discomfort.

Comment by Carl C. — April 25, 2014 @ 12:01 pm

4. I have to agree that there is nothing today that quite matches that ‘thwack.’

Comment by LauraN — April 26, 2014 @ 10:56 am

5. I was just showing my son this post and noticed the description on the typewriter in the center, “ROYAL KMG only 4 models from being new: $99.50″. What is that phrase trying to convey?

Comment by Carl C. — April 27, 2014 @ 8:15 am

6. Notice that the company sells used — “reconditioned” — typewriters. This is only a guess, Carl, but perhaps it means that while that machine is not the latest model, neither is it an antique — it’s only four years (or however often new typewriter models came out) old.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 27, 2014 @ 8:32 am

7. I have a Royal typewriter very much like the KMG illustrated. It was used to type my father’s dissertation back about 1960. In fact, back in the ’70s when I was a teenager, I used it to type a good number of folded genealogical forms.

A couple years ago, I saw one like it being offered for something like >$1000 or ebay. I didn’t imagine it would really be worth that, but it inspired me to get the thing down from the attic and “recondition” it. I haven’t done anything with it, but it was a fun project. It gave me a good opportunity to write captivating prose about quick little foxes and lazy brown dogs.

Comment by Left Field — April 27, 2014 @ 10:35 pm