Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Filosofy

Filosofy

By: Ardis E. Parshall - March 20, 2014

Filosofy

By Octave F. Ursenbach

I ain’t much on filosofy,
And don’t know much sikology;
Yit sometimes things don’t seem to me
Ezzackly as they ought to be,
Cause when I see a big souled man,
Do jist the level best he can
To make a feller’s life seem bright,
And make sunshine of darkest night;
Then jist cause he ain’t steeped in schemes,
To hoard up useless gold, it seems
That he ain’t in the game today.
At least, it seems to me that way.
Why ain’t man measured by his soul
Instead of by his bag of gold;
Cause when he’s dead his wealth will flee –
His soul must face eternity.

(1918)

1. Octave? The eighth child, perhaps? Any relation to Josephine Marie Augustine de la Harpe Ludert Ursenbach? (Yes, I had to look that up; no, I didn’t have her name in ready memory.)

Comment by Amy T — March 20, 2014 @ 12:06 pm

2. …and the answer to those questions is “no,” and “not really.”

Josephine shows up on FamilySearch Family Tree without her first family, but I’ve added a link there to the 2009 post, just in case some descendant of her husband (Octave Sr.) wants correct information.

Comment by Amy T — March 20, 2014 @ 12:24 pm

3. My mother’s mission president (28 years after this verse was published).

Comment by Mark B. — March 20, 2014 @ 12:35 pm

4. Is he an ancestor of Maurine Ursenbach Beecher? I thought her father’s name was something like Octave.

Comment by Maurine — March 20, 2014 @ 10:29 pm

5. I got the wrong Octave Ursenbach, it turns out. (Just how many of them were there??)

The man who was president of the Canadian Mission in the mid-1940s was Octave W. Ursenbach (according to a brief biography on his page at Family Tree). That biography lists five children, but not Maureen.

Comment by Mark B. — March 21, 2014 @ 5:51 am

6. It turns out that Octave W. Ursenbach, president of the Canadian Mission from 1943 to 46-47, was the son of Octave F., the author of the verse that Ardis posted.

And a 1999 obituary for Margaret Lucile Harvey Ursenbach, widow of Charles Ursenbach, one of Octave W’s younger brothers, named “Maureen Beecher” of Ottawa as a surviving daughter.

So it looks as if it was Maureen’s grandfather, Octave F., who wrote that verse.

Comment by Mark B. — March 21, 2014 @ 6:00 am

7. Elder Maxwell later of the Twelve served in the Canadian mission just after the war, probably had Pres. Ursenbach. I know that Ursenbach is somewhat of a familiar name in Alberta, Canada

Comment by cameron — March 21, 2014 @ 1:31 pm