Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Temple Work

Temple Work

By: Ardis E. Parshall - March 17, 2014

On the way through Provo yesterday (March 16, 2014), I snapped these pictures of the Provo Tabernacle/Temple — I hadn’t seen any pictures since the building was “floating,” and was happy to see that the cones have been put back up and that the center tower is rising. There are massive underground works going on at the north and west sides of the building.

Notice that there are still fire marks above the window on the north end of the building, and over at least one window on the west side. I hope they leave those evidences of the building’s dramatic history.

(I’m sorry these pictures are so repetitive; I didn’t have much range for changing the point of view.)

1. Cool! Thanks. I think it’s wonderful that they are “restoring” the central tower. The building looks so much more complete with it than without.

Comment by David Y. — March 17, 2014 @ 10:06 am

2. Great! Thanks! My family and I recently drove by another temple under construction, and it’s pretty exciting to watch the progress.

Comment by Amy T — March 17, 2014 @ 11:01 am

3. Thanks Ardis; really interesting.

Comment by J. Stapley — March 17, 2014 @ 11:01 am

4. Thanks for posting these pictures. It is neat to see the progress that is happening on the temple.

Comment by B. Meyers — March 18, 2014 @ 6:13 am

5. Thank you! I, too, hope they leave the scorch marks in remembrance!

Comment by Sandra Turner — March 18, 2014 @ 8:10 am

6. Great. Thanks for posting.

Comment by Steve C. — March 18, 2014 @ 8:49 am

7. It’s great to see the progress on any temple, but, knowing the history of this building, the satisfaction is much more poignant. Thanks for the update.

Comment by Chris M. — March 18, 2014 @ 8:57 am

8. Thanks for taking and posting these photos! I imagine that those burn marks will be removed if possible. Remembering the event is important but the exterior of the temple should reflect the best we can be, looking forward. I remember that day with sadness and the announcement of this temple as a day of restoration and joy.

Comment by Pam Parker — March 18, 2014 @ 9:10 am

9. Thank you so much for sharing the photo updates with all of us. We live in NC and don’t have the opportunity to keep up with the change of the construction. This helps us feel we are also a part of the increase in temple building taking place.

Comment by Bea Bennett — March 18, 2014 @ 9:15 am

10. I grew up two blocks west and one block south of the Provo Tabernacle. I have bitter sweet feelings about the building being converted into a temple.. excited that my home town is going to have a second much needed temple but sad too.. I was hoping they’d restore the tabernacle as it was before the tragic fire. I have full faith in our prophet and know it is the will of he LORD..

Comment by Rick S — March 18, 2014 @ 9:45 am

11. Having lived in Provo in the ’50′s and ’60′s, I can remember fondly the many occasions I was in this beautiful building for conferences and other meetings. I was even awarded my BSA Eagle Scout award there a few months before leaving for my Argentine mission in 1961! We didn’t have the LTM back then so the mission was for 2-1/2 years which gave us time to learn the language. I look at the Tabernacle’s new status as a Temple as proof of the earthly plan to grow and progress to be able to achieve an eternal reward! I was devastated by the fire but overjoyed by the “rebirth” as a Temple.

Comment by Richard Mangum — March 18, 2014 @ 10:41 am

12. I make it to Provo about three or four times a year, and always stop by and take photos of the progress of the construction. It’s been fascinating to watch.

I have fond memories of that building from my brief time (three years) living in the neighborhood and attending conferences and concerts there.

If you want to follow the progress in great detail, here is a wonderful resource: http://newtempleinprovo.blogspot.com/

Comment by lindberg — March 18, 2014 @ 11:06 am

13. Here is another excellent website to follow the Temple construction. A camera is in place on top of the NuSkin Building, next door. The camera takes a picture of the construction scene ever half hour.

Comment by jackieboy — March 19, 2014 @ 12:36 am

14. I loved the Provo Tabernacle and performed there for 13 years in the Utah Valley Symphony. I stood and watched it burn; agonizing. It’s very humbling that we have been gifted the building now as a Temple.

Comment by Marilyn Miner — April 10, 2014 @ 11:07 am