Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » “Apresentado à Sua Excellencia”

“Apresentado à Sua Excellencia”

By: Ardis E. Parshall - March 11, 2014

(For Grant and Kent and other Keepa’ninnies with ties to Brazil:)

The Book of Mormon was translated into Portuguese in 1939. In 1940, members of the Brazilian Mission, under mission president J. Alden Bowers, presented a copy of the book to the president of Brazil, Dr. Getulio Vargas, with this presentation card attached:

1. Que Bom! Getúlio, one of the “nice” dictators of the 1930s! Had the pleasure of working in São Borja, Getúlio’s birthplace. But it was in the town of Uruguiana that the bus station had a huge mural of giant Getúlio shaking hands across the river with a giant Juan Perón. Why didn’t I ever take a picture!!

Comment by Grant — March 11, 2014 @ 2:08 pm

2. “Uruguaiana” – I can never get enough vowels in there.

Comment by Grant — March 11, 2014 @ 2:11 pm

3. Wow. I assume that the reason that Bowers didn’t sign this copy is that this is a copy kept in SLC??

It would be very interesting if the copy actually given to Vargas could be found somewhere.

I assume that the Brazilian government would have kept the actual copy given to Vargas. I’ll have to remember to look for it..

Comment by Kent Larsen — March 11, 2014 @ 2:40 pm

4. Que bom!

Comment by Matt — March 11, 2014 @ 4:34 pm

5. C’mon, you Portugueezers, give us a translation!

Comment by David Y. — March 11, 2014 @ 4:59 pm

6. Not knowing Portuguese shouldn’t be a problem, David Y. If you know some Spanish, that is.

Or not. Remember how well Roberto Benigni translated the German guard’s instructions in “Life is Beautiful”? Surely you could do the same for this note!

Comment by Mark B. — March 12, 2014 @ 9:13 am

7. Fun! And we just sent off a missionary who was working in Tennessee until his visa for Brasil came through. He would have loved seeing this. Until he came through I did not know that LDS missionaries serving in Brasil must have graduated from seminary.

Comment by Bruce Crow — March 12, 2014 @ 10:38 am

8. The Book of Mormon

A record of the ancient inhabitants of the American continents

Presented to

the Chief of the Brazilian Nation, his Excellency the President

Dr. Getulio Vargas

by

the Brazilian Mission

of

the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Comment by Adam G. — March 12, 2014 @ 10:52 am

9. I was a little disappointed. For some reason when I saw the post title I thought it would be a gift to Dom Pedro II, maybe on his American tour.

Comment by Adam G. — March 12, 2014 @ 10:54 am

10. Thanks, Adam G.

Comment by David Y. — March 12, 2014 @ 10:59 am

11. Yes, being a seminary graduate is one of the ways that a young person proves to the Brazilian government that she is a trained minister. My daughter arrived in Brazil in January, having applied for her visa in March 2013, and having served in Jacksonville, Florida for 4 months after finishing her time at the MTC.

Comment by LauraN — March 12, 2014 @ 4:45 pm