Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Home Builders, 1942

Home Builders, 1942

By: Ardis E. Parshall - February 27, 2014

The older girls’ classes in Primary (collectively called “Home Builders” at this period, and later “Little Homemakers,” or “Lihomas”) used this emblem in 1942:

1. Seagulls? Liahomas?

Comment by Gary Bergera — February 27, 2014 @ 11:24 am

2. Larks, Bluebirds and Seagulls were Gaynotes, Firelights, and Merrihands, probably, when you were in Primary, Gary. Lihomas was the collective name for the girls’ classes.

Compare to Blazers, Trekkers, and Guides, collectively known as Trail Builders, for the boys’ classes.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 27, 2014 @ 12:20 pm

3. Thanks, Ardis. I thought Seagulls might be a Primary class, but I wasn’t sure. Merrihands sounds familiar, but don’t recall Gaynotes and Firelights. But yes to Blazers, Trekkers, and Guides.

I assume Lihoma was a play on Liahona?

Comment by Gary Bergera — February 27, 2014 @ 1:39 pm

4. It’s LIttle HOMeAkers — but I don’t suppose the similarity hurt at all when someone came up with this name.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 27, 2014 @ 2:39 pm

5. I’m showing my age, but I remember being a Lark, Bluebird, and Seagull, and I still have my class booklets and Home Builders bandlo.

Comment by Maurine — February 27, 2014 @ 9:11 pm

6. Hey Maurine, I am showing my age as well! I also remember my years in Primary at Trenton Ward, Utah. I have kept my bandlo in my ‘Treasures of Truth’ book thru the years. It is a treasure to have! So happy that I have been able to keep it! Yes, Larks, Bluebirds and Seagulls!

Comment by Patricia Hansen Whiteley — February 27, 2014 @ 11:49 pm