Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » “I Take Up My Pen”: Tabernacle Choir, 1903

“I Take Up My Pen”: Tabernacle Choir, 1903

By: Ardis E. Parshall - February 20, 2014

1. It’s interesting that the letterhead does not include the word “Mormon.” Nowadays, the name of the choir is one of the few places where the church’s media style guide thinks using “Mormon” is appropriate.

Comment by Mark B. — February 20, 2014 @ 11:06 am

2. I like the photo. And it’s always fun to see the original core of the organ, before the wings were added.

Comment by David Y. — February 20, 2014 @ 11:38 am

3. There’s Grandpa Ridge’s original pipes!

Comment by Grant — February 20, 2014 @ 2:42 pm

4. I guess it should be “Ridges’s”

Comment by Grant — February 20, 2014 @ 2:43 pm

5. I don’t do apostrophe’s any better than, commas.

Comment by Grant — February 20, 2014 @ 2:45 pm

6. But you do comedy quite well!

Ardi’s

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 20, 2014 @ 2:45 pm

7. Grant, you related to Joseph Ridges? (Feel free to make liberal use of commas and apostrophes in your response.)

Comment by David Y. — February 20, 2014 @ 4:07 pm

8. Yes, David Y! He’s my 4th Great-Grandpa! Are we cousins? His daughter Adelaide by his wife also named Adelaide married George C. Wood of South Bountiful (now North Salt Lake – they can’t get it right). Their eldest was Addie May Wood who married Bennett Peterson. Then my maternal Grandfather was Glen Wood Peterson.

I have blogged about Addie May here on Keepa. She died in 1909 at the age of 29 and deserves to be remembered. Grandpa Ridges was in the Territorial Pen together with his son-in-law George C. Wood. (similar, family-related charges)

Comment by Grant — February 20, 2014 @ 6:35 pm

9. 3rd Great Grandpa. I don’t do Math either.

Comment by Grant — February 20, 2014 @ 6:48 pm

10. Yes, I guess we’re distant cousins, Grant. Joseph Ridges is my 3rd great grandpa, too. (But I descend through his other wife.) Being an organist, it’s been a fun connection to have with him. I’ve been to Methuen Hall in Massachusetts, where Ridge’s model for the Tabernacle organ still resides.

Comment by David Y. — February 20, 2014 @ 11:31 pm