Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Salt Lake City, early 1860s

Salt Lake City, early 1860s

By: Ardis E. Parshall - February 14, 2014

You’re looking down West Temple; the block closest to you on the left side of the street is where the Conference Center is today (you’d be looking at the northwest — the back — corner of the Conference Center).  You can probably spot Brigham Young’s Lion House with its many pointed dormers (top left quarter of the photo). Look down West Temple a block (you can see where the wagon tracks cross the dirt road, marking the intersection) — just beyond that is a bright two-story building with a one-story addition butting against it, with a wall separating it from the road;  that’s the Endowment House on Temple Square. No idea of the identification of the men and boys who just had to stand in the road to watch the photographer.

1. So are we standing close to the backside of Zions Summit–somewhere around West Temple and 200 North?

Comment by Gary Bergera — February 14, 2014 @ 11:17 am

2. That is the place. (Drive on.)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 14, 2014 @ 11:55 am

3. Love this. My 2nd great grandpa, Phineas Young (Brigham’s last son), was born in these environs in 1862, so it’s fun for me to see what the place looked like around that time.

And thanks for pointing out the Endowment House –I never would have identified it in the photo, even after reading your post about it.

Comment by David Y. — February 14, 2014 @ 12:16 pm

4. This is fascinating.

Look at that tree up close on our right. It looks like someone was out TP-ing last night. Is that a scratch on the film or something?

Comment by Carol — February 14, 2014 @ 1:58 pm

5. I’m afraid I’m having a hard time seeing anything that matches other photographs of the Endowment House. If I’m oriented correctly, just past North Temple Street is the northwest corner of Temple Square, where the Endowment House should be. In that spot is a building that looks vaguely like the EH (though I wouldn’t call it bright–is that the one you’re talking about?), but I can’t see the northern single-story extension, nor the baptistry abutting the temple square wall, which should have been built by this time. Also, the building has only one, not two chimneys at each end.

Beyond that is a long lighter colored building with the roofline running east-west that made me think of the Old Tabernacle, though I don’t think that’s it.

Beyond that, I see a quite large building that looks to me like it’s sitting where the Assembly Hall is today. But that looks even less like the Endowment House than does the building in the northwest corner of the square. So I’m a little confused. Or perhaps completely disoriented.

Comment by Left Field — February 15, 2014 @ 4:11 pm

6. That’s quite a city, considering it was built out of nothing in just 15 years.

Comment by The Other Clark — March 4, 2014 @ 3:45 pm