Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1933 (2)

Latter-day Saint Images, 1933 (2)

By: Ardis E. Parshall - February 07, 2014

Netherlands Mission
Gleaner Girls

Burlington, North Carolina
Primary

Peru, Indiana
Sunday School

Relief Society Board, German-Austrian Mission
(left to right: Marie Haensel, Elisabeth Kauerauf, Marg. S. Budge, Helene Rathke)
(hat tip to Amy Tanner Thiriot for reading the to-me-unreadable German type)

Missionaries in Florida

(front, left to right:) George B. Wagstaff, Erwin L. Sheffield, Berkeley L. Bunker, A. Vern Busby, Ray Darton
(middle:) Henry Chase, Alvin L. Allen, Gerald L. Stewart, Glen A. Christensen, Percy F. Watkins
(back:) Rex J. Hanson, Carlyle Doman

Palestine-Syrian Mission
Sunday School

Elder W. Oscar Brooksby
Perth, Australia

Nephi 1st Ward, Utah
Relief Society’s “Eternal Womanhood” Pageant

Fairview, Utah
“College of Opportunity” Pageant

Aurora, Utah
Beehive Girls

Missionaries of the East Kansas District

(front, left to right:) Emma Jean Jones, Emma Mills
(back:) Henry LaVell Whatcott, J.Elden Hertzig, Samuel D. Blake, Theodore Thaxton, Albert J. Fielding

Parker Ward, Yellowstone Stake
“College of Opportunity” Pageant

Some Children of Salt Lake City

Los Angeles District Missionaries

(front, left to right:) Frank D. Clifford, Beulah Hinckley, Alonzo A. Hinckley, Rose R. Hinckley, Nellie Hinckley, Frank A. Brinton
(second:) Clara Wing, Christie Nielson, Cuma Madsen, Nora Shumway, Pearl Vincent, Margaret Black, Martha Hanks, Edwin C. Lindbloom, Reed J. Thomas
(third:) Charles Wing, Jim A. English, E. Kay Hanks, John L. Wagstaff, Gilmore Hughes, John Rooks, Jack Clifford, Carlos Watkins
(back:) Delma D. Ragle, Max H. Russell, Don R. Grover, Owen J. Rolph, Daniel L. Hatch, John H. Fossum, John Eccles, Paul A. Nielson

Wasatch Ward
Relief Society Nursery

Missionaries at Century of Progress Exposition, Chicago

Tourists on Temple Square

Eastern States Mission Exhibit
York Fair (York, Pennsylvania)

(left to right:) Rolland Perry, B. Francis Anderson, Harris O. Robinson, Clifford J. Peterson

Mar Vista, California

Sheffield, England
May Queen and Court

French Mission, Relief Society Presidents

(left to right:)
Emma Noireaut (Besançon)
Joséphine Pholien (Liège)
Marguerite Hugenin (La Chaux-de-Fonds)
Marie Mathieu (Lyons)

1. Another great selection, Ardis! And Jeff J., we’re waiting for you to identify Aurora’s Beehive girls …

Comment by Gary Bergera — February 7, 2014 @ 8:34 am

2. Wonderful pictures, as always, kangaroo and all, and it’s lovely to see one of the Smiths from one of those old posts that is so much appreciated by the descendants.

(Or is that a wallaby?)

Comment by Amy T — February 7, 2014 @ 8:40 am

3. Another great collection of photographs. It made me wonder which of those missionaries in the Los Angeles District served in the Inglewood Ward and whether my mother would have known any of them.

I wondered about the Parker Ward in the “Yellow” Stake. The word “Parker” shows up in three place names in the church leadership directory, in Arizona, Colorado and Idaho. I wonder if the Parker Ward, now in the St. Anthony Idaho Stake, was part of a “Yellowstone Stake” in 1933. The church almanac does show a Yellowstone Stake, created in 1909, as the predecessor to the St. Anthony Stake.

Comment by Mark B. — February 7, 2014 @ 9:17 am

4. You’re right, Mark –fixed. (The photo’s filename is “yellowstone” so there’s no question about this being my typo and not some little-known “Yellow” Stake.)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 7, 2014 @ 9:31 am

5. I love looking at these. The father and sons picture looks like a pose for a facebook post. Not the usual.

Comment by Carol — February 7, 2014 @ 10:27 am

6. What fascinates me is the photo from Peru, Indiana. Google shows it to be about 40 miles from Fort Wayne, 50 miles from Indianapolis and 100 miles from Chicago, out in the middle of the prairie. There are less than 12,000 people in it today yet a photo from 1933 shows dozens of children in the LDS Sunday School? Many active wards today in areas of large LDS populations would not have that many children in their Primary.

Comment by KLC — February 7, 2014 @ 11:52 am

7. KLC, many of the missions in that generation conducted auxiliaries (especially Sunday School and MIA) as a missionary opportunity — if you offered a Sunday School to everybody in the area, regardless of church membership, and you had an engaging Sunday School leader, and there weren’t too many competing sectarian Sunday Schools in convenient distances, then lots of non-member families sent their kids to LDS Sunday School. The missionaries could teach the kids, and sometimes eventually their parents, too.

So maybe those are not all LDS kids in the Peru, Indiana photo. Like you, I thought they had far more children there than you could reasonably expect from an LDS population in such a place.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 7, 2014 @ 12:10 pm

8. You’re probably right Ardis. It’s easy to forget that in 1933 Sunday School was much different than anything we have today.

Comment by KLC — February 7, 2014 @ 12:14 pm

9. It’s neat to see a picture of California Mission Pres. Alonzo A. Hinckley, uncle to Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley. As you know Alonzo Hinckley was an Apostle for 2ish years from ’34-36. I haven’t seen too many pictures of him!

Comment by cameron — February 7, 2014 @ 1:18 pm

10. I am trying to put names to these types of photos. working with another member, we have done quite a few. This looks like newsprint. Is there a source that I could copy? I also have quite a few photos of Catawba’s, group photos in 1900′s that I can share with you.

Comment by Judy Canty Martin — February 7, 2014 @ 2:09 pm

11. Judy, that photo is from Liahona: The Elder’s Journal, from some issue in 1933. (With the sheer volume of scanning and my heavy posting schedule, I do not record precise citations for every one of the images used on Keepa — approaching 10,000 photos to date. Going page-by-page through a bound volume on the very rare occasions when I need to relocate the source is much more efficient than creating and maintaining some massive citation index.)

Such group photos seldom provide the names of people, other than, occasionally, the name of a branch president or Sunday School superintendent.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 7, 2014 @ 3:50 pm

12. I have a photo of the first Catawba Relief Society.

Comment by Judy Canty Martin — February 7, 2014 @ 6:07 pm

13. I looked carefully at each of the faces of the Aurora Beehive girls. I can not tell if I knew them. When they became “women.” I am sure they were teaching me in Sunday School and Primary. My parents did not marry until 1935, so mother would be in Richfield, but my Father’s mother and two sisters would be there. But not in that photograph-I don’t think.
    I am also interested in the Catawba photograph. I am glad Judy is doing such a good job collecting Catawba material.

Comment by Jeffery Johnson — February 8, 2014 @ 2:04 pm

14. Now Brother Johnson what do I do with it? I have written 3 books on Catawba Genealogy and working on the 4th with the SC bunch, but the religious aspect is different. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment by Judy Canty Martin — February 8, 2014 @ 7:10 pm

15. I thought the Smith father and sons reminded me of a totem pole. My favorite is the German-Austrian women. They each are dressed in the style of the day, apparently, with lace or scarves at the collar and with their hands folded neatly in the lap.

Comment by Maurine — February 9, 2014 @ 11:08 pm