Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » “I Take Up My Pen”: Wayne Stake, 1900

“I Take Up My Pen”: Wayne Stake, 1900

By: Ardis E. Parshall - February 05, 2014

1. Ardis, Have you yet come across examples where you can tell that one piece of stationery was used as a template for another piece?

Comment by Gary Bergera — February 5, 2014 @ 12:04 pm

2. Yes, a lot of the stake letterhead in Idaho has an identical design with other nearby stakes (but with different data, obviously). Some of the European missions also seem to have passed around the same cut of the Salt Lake Temple to use in very similar but not quite identical letterheads. And a lot of the general Church offices (1P, Q12, Bishop, Historian, etc.) for quite a while used the identical design, the only difference being the name of the particular office. But there doesn’t seem to have been much of an attempt in this early period to develop any sort of branding.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 5, 2014 @ 12:10 pm

3. I know she has, because I sent her one. I suppose she’s waiting for the right moment to post it.

The answer to your question, Gary, appears to be “No.” The stationery I had, dating from 1950, is not based on the same template. (Maybe it just means that the template changed in 50 years.)

Comment by Mark B. — February 5, 2014 @ 12:17 pm

4. I answered a different question than Gary asked–whether all stakes’ letterheads appeared to be based on the same template. Since my sample size was two, I couldn’t answer the question he actually asked.

Comment by Mark B. — February 5, 2014 @ 12:20 pm

5. Mark, many members of my Sunday School class answer the question they wanted to answer, not the one I asked! :)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 5, 2014 @ 4:38 pm