Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » I’d Invest with This Young Man

I’d Invest with This Young Man

By: Ardis E. Parshall - February 04, 2014

I haven’t checked his biography to know whether this is a well-known, identified picture or not, so maybe a reader can check and report. Without anything to go on but comparison to other portraits, I’d guess this one was taken in the 1920s. Spencer W. Kimball looks several years older here than in his 1917 wedding portrait, and he looks to me like the banker and dealer in real estate, insurance, bonds, and other securities that he became in the late 1920s. Other ideas?

1. What a great picture!

Comment by Gary Bergera — February 4, 2014 @ 11:33 am

2. Wow. Another one for the Rascal’s Gallery, or whatever it was you guys were going to call it.

(Not that he looks like a rascal!!) (Although, perhaps, like a character out of Little Rascals.)

Comment by Amy T — February 4, 2014 @ 12:24 pm

3. I should offer a prize to the first ‘ninny who replicates the hairstyle and sends in a photo.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 4, 2014 @ 12:48 pm

4. I think my husband has enough curls to pull that off and is the right age, but he’s not one for internet frivolity and he has a beard.

Comment by HokieKate — February 4, 2014 @ 12:56 pm

5. Gorblimey.

Comment by Adam G. — February 4, 2014 @ 4:32 pm

6. I mimic Gary Bergera’s words about this being a great picture. Can you find out anything more about it based on where you found it?

Comment by Maurine — February 4, 2014 @ 8:28 pm

7. Um, well, I, uh, didn’t keep track of where I found it. Don’t tell anybody. /hangs head in shame/

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 4, 2014 @ 9:07 pm

8. One place this photo can be found is BYU Studies v. 25 n. 4 Fall 1985 on page 95. These was an issue 100% devoted to articles about Spencer W. Kimball. The caption reads “Spencer W. Kimball at the end of his mission”. He arrived back in Thatcher December 30, 1916.

There’s a photo on that page above this one “Lewis Critchfield, Spencer W. Kimball, and Edward Christensen, 1916″ that isn’t nearly so colorful in style and pose, but still catches my interest. The three missionaries are standing posed in front of a building. Kimball and Critchfield are wearing straw boaters and Christensen is wearing a bowler. Wikipedia guides me to a Desert News article from October 26, 1957, page 10A, “The Hat That Won the West” by Lucius Beebe which originally appeared in the Territorial Enterprise. “The greatest hoax of all and one which has been perpetrated on a universal scale since its original invention by Frederick Remington is the one that conceives the Stetson hat or other sombrero type of plains headgear to be “The Hat That Won the West.” Millions of feet of cinema Westerns to the contrary, entrenched regional folklore to the contrary, illustrations and paintings in countless numbers to the contrary and the belief of the entire world to the contrary, the authentic hat of the Old West was the cast iron derby, the bowler of Old Bond Street and the ‘chapeau melon’ of French usage.” It looks like Elder Christensen was a newer missionary still wearing the hat he brought from Utah. In that photo Elder Kimball doesn’t have a mustache, but Christensen and Critchfield do.

Comment by John Mansfield — February 5, 2014 @ 3:55 am

9. John wins first prize for research on this one! Thanks.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 5, 2014 @ 8:31 am

10. Silencing forever the doctrine of hairdo infallibility.

Comment by Grant — February 6, 2014 @ 8:40 am

11. Yeah, I really hate to say goodbye to that doctrine.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 6, 2014 @ 9:06 am