Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » “I Take Up My Pen”: C.R. Savage Art Bazar, 1893

“I Take Up My Pen”: C.R. Savage Art Bazar, 1893

By: Ardis E. Parshall - February 03, 2014

1. How interesting — would love to have seen the bazar. I only know the C.R. Savage name as a photographer and as owner of a photography studio. Makes sense that he would deal in art, books, stationery, etc., though.

Comment by David Y. — February 3, 2014 @ 10:48 am

2. I liked this one, too, David. It’s a little busy, true, but still well designed, and entirely relevant to the type of business, unlike some of the grotesqueries we’ve seen.

Remember, too, that CRSavage was the moving force behind the Old Folks Day celebrations. He was also a missionary connected with the family of my favorite French-speaking Swiss convert, so I have pleasant Mormon-related memories whenever I see his name.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 3, 2014 @ 11:05 am

3. Ardis, I can’t help wondering who designs this kind of stationery … the customer? the printer? someone else?

Comment by Gary Bergera — February 3, 2014 @ 1:52 pm

4. Good question; I don’t know the answer. I suppose a printer might have some standard design elements and might give recommendations, while some customers would have a clear idea of what they wanted, especially if they had to provide photographs. But I don’t think I’ve ever seen any discussion of designing or ordering stationery.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 3, 2014 @ 2:41 pm

5. Though, come to think of it, maybe we have a clue in this one, since Savage sells stationery himself. If he sells more than standard, one-design-fits-anybody stationery, he must have designed, or helped to design, letterhead, including his own.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 3, 2014 @ 2:43 pm

6. Savage’s business partner was artist George M. Ottinger. I wonder if he had a hand in designing the stationary?

Love these letterhead posts!

Comment by Blueagleranch — February 4, 2014 @ 6:25 am