Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » “I Take Up My Pen”: Kanab Co-operative Stock Company, 1892

“I Take Up My Pen”: Kanab Co-operative Stock Company, 1892

By: Ardis E. Parshall - January 22, 2014

1. I’m pretty sure they’re not suggesting that all of the items pictured are intended as “stock” … :-)

Comment by Gary Bergera — January 22, 2014 @ 10:43 am

2. Heck, no, that just illustrates the company dress code! :)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 22, 2014 @ 10:57 am

3. Interesting cast of characters on that letterhead.

John Henry Smith, then a member of the Quorum of the Twelve, was president, and his son, George Albert–not yet an apostle in 1892, was secretary and treasurer.

I don’t know anything about Jesse W. Crosby, except that there were at least two men, father and son, who shared the name. A third, son of the second, was born and died in 1870.

The older Jesse W. Crosby’s sister Frances is an ancestor of mine–third great grandmother, I think.

I found a biographical sketch of Jesse W Crosby at Family Tree. It mentions that a few years after Kanab letterhead was printed, Jesse got involved in the colonization of the Big Horn basin in Wyoming. Which we’ve seen before here at Keepa.

It also says that he had three wives, all of whom were named Sarah. One benefit of that would be, ahem, that he wouldn’t accidentally call any wife by the wrong name at the wrong time. Kind of like that lady in the old Herman’s Hermits song with eight husbands (serially), all named ‘enery. [Egads, was that song as awful back when I was 11 as it is now??]

Comment by Mark B. — January 22, 2014 @ 12:37 pm

4. Here’s a link to the last appearance of Jesse W. Crosby here at Keepa: Big Horn Basin Colonization Company.

Comment by Mark B. — January 22, 2014 @ 12:41 pm

5. Thanks, Mark. I love it when you make connections, not only to family history but to past Keepa posts. It’s all interconnected!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 22, 2014 @ 1:03 pm

6. Mark, I enjoy your serious as well as your jokey comments. (Your clever comment about the three wives named “Sarah” made me laugh out loud.)

Comment by David Y. — January 22, 2014 @ 1:18 pm

7. Thank you, thank you, on behalf of the management. Mark will be playing at Keepa for the foreseeable future, no cover charge.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 22, 2014 @ 1:45 pm

8. This company involved my mother’s family. I’m related to everyone in Moccasin and spent time there every summer in my childhood. I’m going to post this on our family’s facebook page.

Comment by Carol — January 22, 2014 @ 4:50 pm

9. Was this the same Jesse Crosby who was the Stake President in Panguitch, mentioned in the “Electing the Bishop” post from a few years ago?

Comment by Carl C. — January 22, 2014 @ 10:15 pm

10. According to a short biography of Jesse W. Crosby, Jr., that appears on FamilySearch, he became president of the stake in Panguitch in 1882. It appears that this is the same man as appeared in the Electing the Bishop posts. Both of them!

Comment by Mark B. — January 23, 2014 @ 8:47 am

11. I don’t know whether to cheer for Mark’s resolution of that question or boo for his reminding everybody that, like any old codger, I forget what stories I’ve already told and annoy the whippersnappers by repeating them. So I guess I’ll just be flattered that Carl remembered that post and Crosby’s name.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 23, 2014 @ 8:58 am

12. At my age, Ardis, the world is brand new every day. If you re-published all of Keepa’s posts every year or two, they’d all look as new to me as the dawn of creation. Besides, that story about electing the bishop is a story that deserves retelling!

Comment by Mark B. — January 23, 2014 @ 9:10 am

13. Remind me what we were talking about?

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 23, 2014 @ 9:14 am

14. I hear ya’, Mark. I love to read posts again, Ardis.

Comment by Carol — January 23, 2014 @ 9:43 am