Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » “I Take Up My Pen”: French Mission, 1939

“I Take Up My Pen”: French Mission, 1939

By: Ardis E. Parshall - January 20, 2014

1. Ah, sans serif!

Comment by Gary Bergera — January 20, 2014 @ 1:12 pm

2. How fitting!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 20, 2014 @ 1:21 pm

3. Ardis: Did your name tag have Eglise or L’Eglise? I could have sworn my French one for Tahiti said L’Eglise. Maybe it didn’t. Don’t ask me to find it.

Comment by David R — January 20, 2014 @ 1:46 pm

4. Re: #3, time frame is 1978 when I received it from the place we had to order it ourselves.

Comment by David R — January 20, 2014 @ 1:48 pm

5. Mine (dating to 1981) said “Eglise” — but then it also said “Sister” instead of “Soeur,” something that disappointed me then and now.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 20, 2014 @ 1:50 pm

6. What are you guys talking about?

Comment by Carol — January 20, 2014 @ 2:26 pm

7. Gary’s “sans serif” is an indication of the typeface — the letters are made up of plain strokes with blunt ends, without the little extensions that you see on, for example, Times New Roman; my “fitting” only meant that it was appropriate to have a French name (“sans serif”) for the type used on the French letterhead. DavidR was wondering whether the name of the Church on my French nametag had been “Eglise ..” (Church oJCOLDS) or “L’Eglise …” (The Church oJCoLDS”) — I answered, and my lament was that my nametag had used the English “Sister Parshall” instead of the French “Soeur Parshall.”

So in short, I guess Gary, DavidR and I are former French-speaking missionaries yakking about trivial linguistic points.

Aren’t you sorry you asked? :D

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 20, 2014 @ 2:36 pm

8. I got the sans serif part, but I thought it was Latin.

The name tag stuff I wasn’t sure about. If I’d tried to say Eglise out loud I would probably have understood it to mean Iglesia and figured it out. But I didn’t think of it. I, too, would have lamented not being an Hermana.

And, there are no trivial linguistic points. They’re all fun.

Comment by Carol — January 20, 2014 @ 2:57 pm

9. The whole discussion made sense to me.

Comment by LauraN — January 20, 2014 @ 3:45 pm

10. But now I’m suddenly imagining a simple type face in reaction to the overly ornate rococo called ‘Sans Seraphim.’

Comment by LauraN — January 20, 2014 @ 3:47 pm

11. Our sisters were “Soeurs” but we were “Elders.” And it was simply “Eglise.”

Comment by J. Stapley — January 20, 2014 @ 5:41 pm

12. Italian elders are ‘anziani’ which unfortunately has connotations of old (more than elders in english does at least).

Comment by Jay Anderson — January 20, 2014 @ 5:56 pm

13. Found the name tag. Not totally nuts. It was L’Eglise.

Comment by David R — January 20, 2014 @ 6:51 pm

14. Japanese has no articles, so there’s no way to specify that it’s “The” church. We had to come up with some other reasons to support that assertion.

Comment by Mark B. — January 20, 2014 @ 9:41 pm

15. Quelle surprise. I thought the “rule” says to omit the accents on capital letters . . . hmmm . . .

Comment by David Y. — January 20, 2014 @ 11:23 pm