Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Our Sponsor Recommends …

Our Sponsor Recommends …

By: Ardis E. Parshall - January 07, 2014

From the back cover of an issue of the Relief Society Magazine, 1922 —

1. Given Hawaii’s reputation for laid back lifestyles, perhaps it was assumed to be decaf? Amusing.

Comment by kevinf — January 7, 2014 @ 11:33 am

2. It used to be that a mistake was noticed for a moment and thrown away. Now you’ve brought this mistake to the future where it will be shared and commented on and discussed and laughed at for all time, potentially going viral. That’s why we don’t have time machines.

Comment by Carol — January 7, 2014 @ 11:40 am

3. I’m going to assume you mean that us a good thing, Carol. Er…

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 7, 2014 @ 12:16 pm

4. Ok, so, in addition to the coffee part, what’s with the “Three Phones Hy. 60″?

I presume that “Hy.” is the abbreviation for the exchange. Would it have been just two digits back in 1922? And are they saying that they’re thoroughly modern and have three lines so the caffeine hounds who have to have their coffee RIGHT NOW needn’t worry about getting a busy signal?

I think it’s unlikely that it was decaf. The process of decaffeinating coffee was first developed in 1903, in Europe, and patented a few years after that. Sold under the names Kaffee-HAG in most of Europe, as Cafe Sanka in France, and as Sanka in the U.S. I don’t know much about coffee, but if you had asked me 40 or 45 years ago, I would have said that Sanka was the only brand of decaffeinated coffee.

If you’re worried that drinking coffee was going to make you look like a hag? Don’t. Kaffee-HAG came from Kaffee Handels Aktiengesellschaft–Coffee Trading Corporation.

Comment by Mark B. — January 7, 2014 @ 12:44 pm

5. Note that abstention from coffee as a Word of Wisdom requirement, while preached, was still unevenly applied as of 1921 (Cf. Alexander’s Dialog article of the WofW). Still funny to see this in the Relief Society Magazine. :-)

Comment by bfwebster — January 7, 2014 @ 1:08 pm

6. Uh, “Dialogue”.

Comment by bfwebster — January 7, 2014 @ 1:08 pm

7. I am actually more intrigued by the line “The Store Clean,” not “The Clean Store.” What’s up with that?

Comment by kevinf — January 7, 2014 @ 3:01 pm

8. This is just a guess, but I think it might be a play on the popular magazine named “House Beautiful.”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 7, 2014 @ 3:33 pm

9. Holy cow! House Beautiful was first published in 1896. I had no idea it had been around that long.

Comment by Mark B. — January 7, 2014 @ 3:59 pm

10. It’s interesting that they didn’t feel a need to specify the city. Even in 1922, the RS Magazine would have gone worldwide. I seem to remember in the ’60s that the Improvement Era often advertised local Utah businesses, but I don’t recall the city being unstated and understood.

Comment by Left Field — January 8, 2014 @ 5:45 am

11. According to this site, “Hy” was the HYland exchange in Salt Lake.

Comment by Left Field — January 8, 2014 @ 5:52 am

12. Thanks for locating that exchange, Left Field — I didn’t get very far when I tried to identify it.

Even Ogden and Provo were “othered” by that assumption of an unidentified city, weren’t they? They could only have made it any more local by assuming a stake or ward!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 8, 2014 @ 6:39 am

13. Thanks, Left Field, for giving me one more excuse to do no work today!!

Comment by Mark B. — January 8, 2014 @ 8:01 am