Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Stuff your stocking

Stuff your stocking

By: Ardis E. Parshall - December 18, 2013

From the Relief Society Magazine, December 1963 –

1. Now you’re just trying to ruin my Christmas . . .

But actually, I think we had those cookie cutters! At least they sparked one of those odd remembrances from distant childhood. I remember best the turkey, holly leaf, snowman, and tree. Looking at the rest, it may be that the others broke more easily and didn’t last.

Comment by Grant — December 18, 2013 @ 11:26 am

2. I earned or purchased that cookie cutter set (at a discount) by buying gas at a Salt Lake Avenues gas station in the early 1960s. Mine are tin and I just checked the cookie-cutter box; the angel, reindeer and snowman have survived! Thanks for the sweet memories!

Comment by Bessie Sanborn — December 19, 2013 @ 6:27 am

3. Thanks Bessie–you confirmed a dim memory. I’m glad to know that those cookie cutters also came in tin–because they looked familiar to me too. My mother had a set, but they were tin, not copper.

Comment by Mark B. — December 19, 2013 @ 8:38 am

4. You mean, like this one?

I used to have a lot more of them, but weeded my mother’s collection. Some of them with skinny areas (the angel’s wing, any necks and arms and legs) didn’t really work well for sugar cookies, because those parts got hard or brittle before the rest of the cookie was baked. But the tree and leaf and snowman shapes work great!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 19, 2013 @ 9:04 am

5. That’s the one! Happy old memories. I feel an attack of sugar cookie baking coming on. And the last time I tried that, I promised myself I WOULD NOT do it again :-)

Comment by Bessie Sanborn — December 19, 2013 @ 9:54 am

6. Haha! With me it’s a craving to bake gingerbread boys.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 19, 2013 @ 10:19 am

7. That’s it! Ours must have been tin as well. Although I do seem to have a strange sense of having seen copper-tone cutters, maybe in some fancy people’s house. Or just dreaming with church magazine ads (“if only they would let us buy U&I”).

Comment by Grant — December 19, 2013 @ 2:30 pm