Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Wrong, So Wrong

Wrong, So Wrong

By: Ardis E. Parshall - December 13, 2013

It’s Friday, and I’m tired, so let’s take it easy.

The 1960 Children’s Friend tells me there are two dozen errors in this picture. Can we find them all? (Please limit yourself to two or three until everybody’s had the chance to be a critic.)

1. Working in a sweatshop looks kind of nice.

Comment by Niklas — December 13, 2013 @ 7:52 am

2. … or not. They are children and at least one of them is chained to her chair.

Comment by Niklas — December 13, 2013 @ 7:55 am

3. Ah, you think “Sweat” is an error? Go to Japan and buy a can of “Pocari Sweat.”

I dare you to drink it!

Comment by Mark B. — December 13, 2013 @ 8:14 am

4. I meant to add–on my last trip to Japan, I actually bought some. But I just couldn’t drink it!

Comment by Mark B. — December 13, 2013 @ 8:16 am

5. The girl on the left is squeezing the toothpaste from the middle.

(I had to blow that up to see because at first I thought she had a fortune cookie message that said “tooth” and that was so mystical to ponder upon that I about had an out of body experience.)

Comment by Grant — December 13, 2013 @ 8:29 am

6. The middle girl’s been standing there long enough for a spiderweb to to form on the teapot.

Comment by Seth — December 13, 2013 @ 8:43 am

7. How about (starting from the bottom): busted floor plank, stool on right only has one leg, and standing girl is on roller skates.

Comment by Gary Bergera — December 13, 2013 @ 8:53 am

8. The table is floating in the air with no legs at all. The girl who is chained to her chair is wearing one knee sock and one ankle sock. Is this wrong, or merely a fashion faux pas?

Comment by LauraN — December 13, 2013 @ 9:38 am

9. Hot drinks are not for the belly … or for the table top! The heat will totally take off the varnish.

Comment by Dave K. — December 13, 2013 @ 10:01 am

10. The curtain on the ride is out of fashion. I am glad sodas don’t cost $10 any more. Hasta manana banana split.

Comment by IDIAT — December 13, 2013 @ 10:47 am

11. Did I actually just misspell “right?”

Comment by IDIAT — December 13, 2013 @ 10:50 am

12. I assume that’s a kitten drinking milk with a straw. (And why not.) I saw something similar yesterday; went into the dining room and found a kid using a straw to drink the last bit of juice out of a grapefruit half.

Comment by Amy T — December 13, 2013 @ 10:52 am

13. It’s “pop” not “soda.” [wink]

Comment by David Y. — December 13, 2013 @ 11:08 am

14. It’s as much fun reading your nutty responses as playing the game!

The $10 soda [er, pop] sign is floating above its nail, and the flower pot is floating above the window sill. The girl on the left has one short sleeve and one long sleeve.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 13, 2013 @ 11:12 am

15. If nothing else, Ardis, this post has flushed out all the comedians among Keepa’s loyal followers.

Comment by Mark B. — December 13, 2013 @ 11:30 am

16. I was raised in the south. When guests arrived, we would ask “Do you want a coke?” If the response was “yes,” the next question was “What kind?” Then the answer might be Sprite, Dr. Pepper, or even Coke!

Comment by IDIAT — December 13, 2013 @ 12:00 pm

17. Banana is misspelled as “Bannana,” the girl on the right would never wear a polka dot bow with a striped dress, and the girl in the center is from the “Community” TV series alternate time line with evil Jeff, and as such has no right arm.

And it took fifteen years after moving from Utah to Seattle, but I now totally say soda instead of pop.

Comment by kevinf — December 13, 2013 @ 3:47 pm

18. To summarize, it looks like:

1- Sweetshop mis-spelled
    2- left child is chained to chair
    3- Toothpaste on dress/squeezed from the middle
    4- No glass under teapot/spiderweb (depending on the viewer!)
    5- busted floor plank,
    6- stool on right only has one leg,
    7- standing girl is on roller skates.
    8- table is floating in the air with no legs at all.
    9- “Chained girl” has mismatched socks
    10- Curtains mismatched/out-of-fashion.
    11- Sodas cost $10.
    12- kitten drinking milk with a straw
    13- soda sign is floating above its nail,
    14- flower pot has no window sill.
    15- The girl on the left has one short sleeve and one long…

Comment by The Other Clark — December 13, 2013 @ 5:14 pm

19. 16- Banana is misspelled as “Bannana,”
    17- polka dot bow w/striped dress?
    18- girl in the center has no right arm?

Here are my contributions
    19- Malt glass on left has a tap/spigot in the base
    20- Ice cream and toppings on right are on table instead of in the cup

21- Flowers on table are in dirt, but not in a pot
    22- Area between teapot and teapot handle has been veiled with a cloak of invisibility.

Comment by The Other Clark — December 13, 2013 @ 5:17 pm

20. The girl on the right is wearing one high heeled shoe, which is totally inappropriate to her age, and one flat shoe which is. Also, the kitten is drinking from a straw while sitting up like a squirrel. And I’m not sure what the teapot would even be for, since the girls seem to be drinking cold treats.

Comment by LauraN — December 13, 2013 @ 5:24 pm

21. Thanks for summarizing that, TOClark. I had lost track.

Girl on left has one knee sock and one ankle sock. Curtain on left side of window doesn’t match curtain on right. The standing girl’s collar halves are different sizes (but maybe that’s poor drawing?)

I’m glad some of you identified that beast as a kitten. I thought it was a rat when I posted this.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 13, 2013 @ 5:34 pm

22. None of them are wearing a BYU Jersey.

Comment by andrew h — December 14, 2013 @ 8:56 am