Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » “I Take Up My Pen”: Phillips & Kimball Co., 1900

“I Take Up My Pen”: Phillips & Kimball Co., 1900

By: Ardis E. Parshall - December 11, 2013

(Andrew and Olive Woolley Kimball were the parents of Spencer W. Kimball, who was five years old when this letterhead was used.)

1. This is a great series. Need to get my company to improve on their letterhead. This one takes the cake, wow. I took a printing class in Jr High and we had to create these types of things. All that has gone by the wayside now as we use computers to generate all the graphics now. Thanks.

Comment by Mex Davis — December 11, 2013 @ 10:43 am

2. I’m glad to know you enjoy them, Mex. It’s been fun to be on the watch for examples to post, a little bit of our history that isn’t often noticed.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 11, 2013 @ 11:17 am

3. It looks as if the other people on the letterhead, Ed[ward] C. Phillips and Selena Phillips, were also husband and wife.

It’s hard to know how much any of those four were personally involved in the business. Close corporations being what they are, it’s not unusual for family members to be appointed to fill necessary corporate offices without having any active role in the business.

Comment by Mark B. — December 11, 2013 @ 11:38 am

4. As the handiest person around to sign documents, my name appears as an incorporator and officer of hundreds of Nevada companies in the 1970s and ’80s … until the first stockholders’ meetings, where my resignation, signed and submitted in the same moment as I incorporated, was accepted and real officers were elected.

But I kind of think things were different in Thatcher in 1900, don’t you?

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 11, 2013 @ 11:53 am

5. I suspect that the territorial laws of Arizona made incorporation somewhat more difficult than it was in Nevada or Delaware 30 years ago. But Mrs. Phillips and Mrs. Kimball were not incorporators; they were treasurer and assistant secretary, respectively.

Maybe Mrs. Phillips did keep the financial records, as Treasurer of the company. And maybe Mrs. Kimball prepared the minutes of the board meetings, and filed necessary certificates with the territorial office that regulated corporations. It’s impossible to know based on what the letterhead says.

But there were seven children 16 and under in the Kimball home in 1900, which suggests that Mrs. Kimball wouldn’t have had much time to spend selling farm equipment.

Comment by Mark B. — December 11, 2013 @ 12:58 pm

6. We have been successful in “piercing the corporate veil” against dummy corporations holding mining claims in Nevada. Never saw your name come up, Ardis.

Comment by Grant — December 11, 2013 @ 1:14 pm

7. That’s a relief, Grant … when does the statute of limitations run, anyway?

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 11, 2013 @ 2:01 pm