Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1933

Peru, Indiana
Primary

Relief Society Monument, Nauvoo

New South Wales, Australia
District Baseball Team

(sitting, left to right:) J. Cooper; K. Rule; C. Heusckel, W. Bailey, S. Denton
(standing:) C. Claxton; Elder Robinson, President Tingey, Elder Allen, C. Turner.

Blue Ridge, Pennsylvania
Missionaries

(front, left to right:) Irma N. Peterson, Clifford J. Peterson, Louise E. Bernard
(back:) Evan P. Call, Evelyn Green, J. Lynden Mather, Edna Mae Coleman, S. James Smith

Chattanooga, Tennessee
Sunday School

Portland, Oregon
Branch Members Who Are Returned Missionaries

Utah State Training School, American Fork

British Columbia
Missionaries

(front, left to right:) Erma Taysom, Barbara Watkins, Alice Venema, Harriet Wells, Roxie Jensen.
(back:) Marion Turley, William R. Sloan, John N. Margetts, James L. McDougal

M-Men of Afton, Wyoming

Spokane, Washington
Gold and Green Ball Queen and Attendants

Outing at Salamander Lake, Mt. Timpanogos

Panguitch, Utah
Pageant of Biblical Mothers

Moroni, Utah
Music Festival

Denver, Colorado
Missionaries, including District Presidents from throughout the Western States Mission

(front, left to right:) Orpha Kay, Margaret Luke, Alice Geary, Elias S. Woodruff, Mary Hortnagl, Ruth Winegar, Emma T. Whipple
(second:) Virgil Gray, Kenneth G. Wiseman, Floyd H. Jensen, Frank Warren, Edward E. Morgan, Alma L. Davis, William L. Reece, Stanley E. Best
(back:) Don C. Pierce, Wilford T. Whipple, Philander Hatch, Ray F. Kohler, Walter L. Wiltbank, W. Wilson Norris, George M. Jones, Claude B. Lamkin

Palestine-Syrian MIA
Pageant

Fort Bridger, Wyoming
Visitors (including George Albert Smith) examining remnant of Mormon-built wall

Oquirrh, Utah
Gold and Green Ball Queen and Attendants

Netherlands Mission
M-Men

Relief Society Conference, Pageant
Assembly Hall (Temple Square)

Belvedere Ward, Grant Stake (Salt Lake)
Cast of Roadshow, “Ode to Youth”

Heber J. Grant
Dedication of Social Hall Marker, Salt Lake City

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Missionary Basketball Team

Salt Lake 28th Ward
Adult Aaronic

Roseville, California
Relief Society Pageant

1. The photo of “Panguitch, Utah Pageant of Biblical Mothers” will have me smiling all morning. Love it!

Comment by Carl C. — December 10, 2013 @ 8:46 am

2. Another great set of photographs, Ardis. Thanks.

The picture of the Training School in American Fork is both nice and sad.

Also, is it just me or does everyone, except maybe some of the children, look older than they probably are?

Comment by Gary Bergera — December 10, 2013 @ 8:58 am

3. Oooh! A Tennessee photo! Cool! (quickly saves to hard drive)

Comment by Bruce Crow — December 10, 2013 @ 9:09 am

4. Is that Eulalie MacKecknie Shinn in the Assembly Hall Pageant?

Comment by Grant — December 10, 2013 @ 9:42 am

5. Carl, that’s a great picture, isn’t it? So homemade!

I wonder if it’s the hairdo’s that make them all look older, Gary? I think what I like about the Training School picture is that these boys were acknowledged in this context as Latter-day Saints, the same as any other Sunday School class or MIA group, without the label “handicapped” (or whatever word would have been used) marking them as different.

I wondered if you’d like that, Bruce!

Grant, you’ll have to explain — is Eualie someone I should know? (Great name, in any case.)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 10, 2013 @ 10:35 am

6. Loved the variety of photos. One common theme: we sure liked our pageants! (And even in Syria? Wow!)

Comment by David Y. — December 10, 2013 @ 10:45 am

7. Whoa! I stumped Ardis! It’s an irreverent reference to Mayor Shinn’s wife in “The Music Man.” I guess we should call her “Sister” Shinn.

Comment by Grant — December 10, 2013 @ 11:01 am

8. I wonder if the Syrian pageant backdrop is supposed to represent the Hill Cumorah? And the two houses at the upper left, — one log, one frame — built by the Smith family. The backdrop reminds me of this picture(or one like it). The interesting anachronistic tell-tale is the inclusion of telegraph poles in the backdrop painting. Fascinating insight on people who may never have seen or could imagine what upper New York might have looked like.

Comment by Coffinberry — December 10, 2013 @ 11:17 am

9. Grant, I’m sure you’re right. That’s exactly what I thought!

Comment by Carol — December 10, 2013 @ 11:26 am

10. We did love our plays and pageants, David. The one in Syria a few years earlier, by the way, the one with the Saints in Book of Mormon costumes? That one was titled “Death of a Drunkard, and Five Weddings in One Night.” Beat that!

Musta been the sound of 76 blaring trombones that drowned out the euphonious sound of Eualie’s name, Grant. *sheepish* (Carol piles on …)

Coffinberry, absolutely, that’s the Hill Cumorah. Good eye, and even better idea or question on what this meant to the Saints under those conditions. Thanks.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 10, 2013 @ 11:30 am

11. The Panguitch pageant was definitely my favorite from this set, but I also enjoyed the one of the Roseville women dressed up as pioneers. And the rest of them, of course, but those were my favorites.

Comment by Amy T — December 10, 2013 @ 11:53 am

12. My favorites are the Palestine-Syrian pageant and the pioneer women pageant. I had a first cousin who lived at the American Fork Training School, but it would have been after this time. I’m also interested in the group of Adult Aaronic Priesthood men agreeing to be pictured. I would assume that it was almost embarrassing to be known as not worthy to be an Elder. Just me, maybe it wasn’t so bad to those in the photo.

Comment by Maurine — December 10, 2013 @ 2:57 pm

13. Maurine, the Adult Aaronic group doesn’t ever seem to hesitate or be embarrassed, that I can see — I find regular reports of their activities, with names and pictures. In those days, most of the men had been born in the Church, but because of family circumstances had become inactive as children or teens. The AA program wasn’t a “holding pen” (for lack of a better term); these were men who wanted to become involved in the Church and realized that they had a lot of catching up to do in terms of knowledge and practice. It was kind of like an investigators’ class for men who were already baptized.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 10, 2013 @ 3:44 pm

14. Wow, for the first time I found somebody I know! I’m pretty sure that’s my great-great-aunt on the front row of the Denver, CO missionary photo. I don’t think I knew that she served in Denver. I wonder if she ever met my grandmother (from a different line), who would have been about 20 and living in Denver at the time this photo was taken?

Anyway, very cool. Thanks for posting these, Ardis.

(Any chance I could get a higher-res copy of that photo?)

Comment by lindberg — December 23, 2013 @ 5:08 pm

15. lindberg, I’ve sent a copy of the picture to the address you leave when you comment. I hope it’s a little better than appears on blog — but remember that these are scanned from itty bitty half-tone photos printed on cheap paper in old magazines, so the quality isn’t high to begin with.

Always glad to share photos with anybody who spots someone familiar — just ask!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 23, 2013 @ 5:56 pm

16. Thanks, Ardis! Unfortunately, I’ve had all sorts of e-mail problems the last couple of weeks, and managed to lose the photo… is there any chance you could indulge me with a re-send? I promise not to bug you again. Thanks!

Comment by lindberg — January 2, 2014 @ 5:31 pm

17. On its way! (And ask whenever and however often you need to.)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 2, 2014 @ 5:51 pm