Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » “I Take Up My Pen”: National Anti Mormon League, 1918

“I Take Up My Pen”: National Anti Mormon League, 1918

By: Ardis E. Parshall - October 30, 2013

1. a “League” of their own? I knew they didn’t let us play baseball in South Carolina, but I never knew they were that organized. Does the DAMU have a letterhead? Or just hectographs?

Comment by Grant — October 30, 2013 @ 10:24 am

2. OK, you’re testing us right? Besides the nice letter head, etc., I didn’t know there was an Anti Mormon League. Now you’ll have to do a piece on this group.

Comment by Mex — October 30, 2013 @ 10:50 am

3. I’ve got a piece in mind, Mex. :)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 30, 2013 @ 11:09 am

4. And do they have a Hall of Injustice?

Comment by iguacufalls — October 30, 2013 @ 11:09 am

5. And, you’ll all be happy to know, the building at 51 East 42nd Street is still there (although I suspect that the Modell’s Sporting Goods store wasn’t on the ground floor back then).

Here’s a link to a Google Streetview photo of the building.

And here’s a terrific website which purports to show the age of all of the buildings in New York City. (I don’t know how they established the ages–was it the date of the issuance of a certificate of occupancy, or a building permit? So, with that one big caveat–”he might have been wrong”–this website shows that the building dates from 1913.)

If you’re not familiar with New York, good luck finding the location! Start at the lower right corner of Central Park, go SSW along 5th Avenue to 42nd Street, and then east a block and a half to Vanderbilt Avenue. If you roll your mouse over the map, windows will pop up with the buildings’ addresses and ages.

Should I go check the building directory to see if the NAML is still there?

Comment by Mark B. — October 30, 2013 @ 11:44 am

6. Meanwhile, here’s a reference to the National Anti-Mormon League:

September 2, 1918:

Scroll to the bottom of the left-hand page and look for the article “Suggests Mormons Should Be In Army”.

I got another hit, but the site wanted far more information than I was willing to give it.

Comment by bfwebster — October 30, 2013 @ 2:42 pm

7. Great quote from the article:

“They [the LDS missionary] here used all sorts of arguments to obtain converts to their polygamous faith,” Secretary Matthews charges. “We have also ascertained that the good-looking young Mormon missionaries are devoting the larger part of their energies to women, the assumption being that wherever women go the men will follow. Some of these women after conversion will be colonized in the Western states, where they will be furnished with husbands.”

Comment by bfwebster — October 30, 2013 @ 2:46 pm

8. Hey, I’m in the Western states! Why haven’t they furnished ME one?!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 30, 2013 @ 3:51 pm

9. I’m familiar with the Negro National League, but I had no idea that there were ever enough anti-Mormon baseball players to form their own segregated professional league.

Comment by Left Field — October 30, 2013 @ 5:26 pm