Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » This Is the Place … Sort of …

This Is the Place … Sort of …

By: Ardis E. Parshall - October 28, 2013

Kevin Folkman spotted this advertisement a while ago. If you don’t see the point in the first picture, you’ll certainly see it by the last one.

1. It’s like naming an attack submarine after Corpus Cristi: when religion is infused into civic life, it gets carried along wherever the citizens want to go.

Comment by John Mansfield — October 28, 2013 @ 8:00 am

2. I have the feeling it’s part of a series. (Collect all 50. They probably wouldn’t have one for the District of Columbia due to the DC gun laws.) If I’m going to collect art, I really want to make sure it won’t explode. And if I really wanted a weapon for some reason, I think I would be more concerned about function than decoration. So another advertisement falls flat for me.

Comment by LauraN — October 28, 2013 @ 8:36 am

3. Take a close look at the decoration itself, y’all.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 28, 2013 @ 8:38 am

4. Why did you obscure the phone number? Now I’ll have to look it up on-line!

Comment by Eric B — October 28, 2013 @ 8:47 am

5. wrong temple

Comment by Grant — October 28, 2013 @ 8:50 am

6. Whoops! The Ogden temple doesn’t look like the first picture anymore, and certainly not how it’s depicted in the second and third pictures.

Comment by Chad Too — October 28, 2013 @ 8:54 am

7. And I don’t think Peter Skene Ogden had much to do with either one.

Comment by Grant — October 28, 2013 @ 8:55 am

8. which just inspired a new blog post when I get to it.

Comment by Grant — October 28, 2013 @ 8:57 am

9. Wow.

Comment by J. Stapley — October 28, 2013 @ 9:11 am

10. If you want to be nit-picky, besides the obvious temple error, John Moses Browning’s image should be on a Winchester Model 94, not a Mossberg.

Comment by Yet Another John — October 28, 2013 @ 9:16 am

11. A post like this cries out for nit-picking, YAJohn.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 28, 2013 @ 10:50 am

12. Last time I checked online with the seller, this particular gun in that series had been withdrawn, apparently due to the Ogden Temple, uhh, “artistic interpretation.”

However, I wonder if Moroni’s inclusion on this is “so that my aim might be true.”

This was included as an advertising supplement to the Ogden Standard Examiner last summer. This is just so, so, weird, that I had to bring it to Ardis’ attention, and thus to all the keepaninnies out there.

Comment by kevinf — October 28, 2013 @ 12:42 pm

13. And Moroni should be engraved on all our guns lest they become slippery and we can’t find them under our pillows.

This is funnier than the temple slip-up.

Comment by The Other Clark — October 28, 2013 @ 3:16 pm

14. Compared to the fine work of serious engravers and custom gun stock makers, this looks like a color-by-number special.

Comment by Mark B. — October 28, 2013 @ 3:45 pm