Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Mormon History in Pop Culture

Mormon History in Pop Culture

By: Ardis E. Parshall - October 18, 2013

Hard on the heels of the Mormon clues on Jeopardy! comes another pop culture Mormon reference.

Mark B. tells me that today’s New York Times crossword puzzle (unfortunately hidden behind a paywall) gives this clue for 29 Across: “Informal name of the 45th state.”

The answer is seven letters.

How fast can you solve it, even without the crossing words?

1. And, if you’re just dying to see the puzzle and complete it yourself, make yourself known in the comments and I’ll be happy to send it. By the way, either I’m getting rusty in my old age, or the puzzles are getting harder. But you should all be able to get 29 Across.

Comment by Mark B. — October 18, 2013 @ 10:34 am

2. Start with a “B” and end with an “E”?

Comment by Gary Bergera — October 18, 2013 @ 11:12 am

3. That would make sense — but this time it isn’t “Beehive.”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 18, 2013 @ 11:26 am

4. I haven’t seen the crossword puzzle, but the obvious answer starts with a “D” and was also one of the Jeapordy! questions.

Comment by lindberg — October 18, 2013 @ 11:31 am

5. I’m disappointed in Gary. I’d say it starts with a D and ends with a T.

Comment by John Hatch — October 18, 2013 @ 11:32 am

6. Yeah, you can say that, but you waited for Gary to get one of the very real possibilities out of the way!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 18, 2013 @ 11:46 am

7. I’ll give y’all a hint: 29 Down is Mary _____ (doomed ship).

Five letters.

Comment by Mark B. — October 18, 2013 @ 12:06 pm

8. I was a little disappointed in the Jeopardy question with this answer. For $1000 it should have been more like what the crossword puzzle clue was.

Oh, and Mark, I’d love to have a copy of the puzzle. (iguacufalls at msn dot com) I’m too stingy to get past their paywall, but I love free stuff and crosswords.:)

Comment by iguacufalls — October 18, 2013 @ 12:23 pm