Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Conference Wordles, October 2013

Conference Wordles, October 2013

By: Ardis E. Parshall - October 11, 2013

Welcome to our traditional post-Conference puzzlefest!

East of the word clouds below represent a talk, a hymn, or some bit of business that occurred at the recent Conference. Words that appeared most frequently in a talk appear in the largest type; words that appeared less frequently in smaller type.

Your challenge: Identify one of the word clouds by naming the speaker and his talk title (you can check for titles here; there’s also a “Show Music” link there to remind you of the hymns that were sung). It would also be nice if you pointed out which words in the cloud helped you identify the talk to help some readers who might be mystified — this isn’t always easy.

Please solve only ONE puzzle. There will undoubtedly be unsolved puzzles this evening or even tomorrow morning – once latecomers have had a chance to play, I’ll open it up for you to solve additional puzzles.

Let the fun begin!

[Update: The puzzles have all been solved, with a complete answer key in comment 45.]

10.

19:

20.

21:

22.

23:

24.

1. 5: Bishop Gérald Caussé, “Ye Are No More Strangers”.

Comment by Alison — October 11, 2013 @ 6:54 am

2. Number 2: Called to Serve. You know, if you get here early enough, you get to pick the easy ones :).

Comment by Jeannine L. — October 11, 2013 @ 7:06 am

3. 13: I’m going to go out on a limb and say ‘Put Your Shoulder to the Wheel’.

Comment by gomez — October 11, 2013 @ 7:26 am

4. I’m guessing that “Valjean” may have been a clue for Alison … but I can’t guess how in the world Jeannine and gomez ever managed to solve their impossibly difficult puzzles! :P Congratulations for starting us off well today.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 11, 2013 @ 7:38 am

5. Spot on, Ardis! Gomez, you made me laugh out loud there :-)

Comment by Alison — October 11, 2013 @ 7:41 am

6. #8 is True Shepherds by President Monson on Sat night. Home Teaching caught my eye, but Hammer was the clincher

Comment by Carl C. — October 11, 2013 @ 8:07 am

7. Right you are, Carl — thanks for pointing out what helped you recognize it.

A recap:

2. “Called to Serve”
    5. Gérald Caussé, “Ye Are No More Strangers”
    8. Thomas S. Monson, “True Shepherds”
    10.
    11.
    12.
    13. “Put Your Shoulder to the Wheel”
    14.
    15.
    16.
    17.
    18.
    19.
    20.
    21.
    22.
    23.
    24.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 11, 2013 @ 8:44 am

8. 18 = “Abide With Me, ‘Tis Eventide” Hey, I’m on vacation! (sorta)

Comment by Grant — October 11, 2013 @ 9:03 am

9. Sometimes it takes shutting down an entry country to get Grant to take a break … but he can still solve puzzles.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 11, 2013 @ 9:13 am

10. Is #3 Christofferson?

Comment by queuno — October 11, 2013 @ 9:14 am

11. I think 6 is Elder Uchtdorf’s Saturday morning.

Comment by Dovie — October 11, 2013 @ 9:20 am

12. Right on both counts, queuno and Dovie.

2. “Called to Serve”
    3. D. Todd Christofferson, “Moral Force of Women”
    5. Gérald Caussé, “Ye Are No More Strangers”
    6. Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “Come, Join with Us”
    8. Thomas S. Monson, “True Shepherds”
    10.
    11.
    12.
    13. “Put Your Shoulder to the Wheel”
    14.
    15.
    16.
    17.
    18. “Abide with Me”
    19.
    20.
    21.
    22.
    23.
    24.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 11, 2013 @ 9:22 am

13. #21 has to be Elder Cook’s talk. I don’t think any other speaker mentioned “opera.”

Comment by David Y. — October 11, 2013 @ 9:53 am

14. #22 is Quentin L. Cook and “Lamentations of Jeremiah”

Comment by kevinf — October 11, 2013 @ 9:54 am

15. Rats! David beat me to it by about 5 seconds, and he also read the wordles numbering correctly!

Comment by kevinf — October 11, 2013 @ 9:55 am

16. You have to watch those organists when it comes to anything to do with opera, kevinf — they’re slick.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 11, 2013 @ 10:33 am

17. I like the font you used for the sustainings as 16., it fits somehow.

Comment by EmJen — October 11, 2013 @ 10:45 am

18. #1 must be Boyd K. Packer’s “The Key to Spiritual Protection.” SCRIPTURES is so big and also mansion and Joseph gave away the story his told about Joseph F. Smith.

Comment by Chocolate on my Cranium — October 11, 2013 @ 10:58 am

19. #24 is Look Ahead and Believe by Elder Dube. Sledge was the give away word for me.

Comment by mahana — October 11, 2013 @ 11:02 am

20. # 20 = Elder Holland’s “Broken Vessels”

Comment by Coffinberry — October 11, 2013 @ 11:12 am

21. Fun! (All the ones I knew are taken, but still–fun!).

Comment by SteveP — October 11, 2013 @ 11:37 am

22. # 19 The Windows of Heaven by Elder Bednar

Comment by marva — October 11, 2013 @ 11:51 am

23. #4 with its prominent “teach” and “teachers” is probably David McConkie, “Teaching with the Power and Authority of God.” It was a little hard to follow during conference, but I’ve been meaning to read through the written report.

Comment by Amy T — October 11, 2013 @ 12:00 pm

24. I go away to work for a while, come back, and find lots of puzzles solved! Hurray! And thanks, especially, to those of you who pointed out the words that gave away the solution to you.

A recap:

1. Boyd K. Packer, “Key to Spiritual Protection”
    2. “Called to Serve”
    3. D. Todd Christofferson, “Moral Force of Women”
    4. David M. McConkie, “Teaching with the Power and Authority of God”
    5. Gérald Caussé, “Ye Are No More Strangers”
    6. Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “Come, Join with Us”
    8. Thomas S. Monson, “True Shepherds”
    10.
    11.
    12.
    13. “Put Your Shoulder to the Wheel”
    14.
    15.
    16. Sustaining of Officers
    17.
    18. “Abide with Me”
    19. David A. Bednar, “Windows of Heaven”
    20. Jeffrey R. Holland, “Like a Broken Vessel”
    21. Quentin L. Cook, “Lamentations of Jeremiah: Beware of Bondage”
    22.
    23.
    24. Edward Dube, “Look Ahead and Believe”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 11, 2013 @ 12:58 pm

25. #7 looks to me like Elder Oaks, No Other Gods. Prominence of Marriage and Children hit me as I was looking through the list.

Comment by Hugh — October 11, 2013 @ 2:02 pm

26. Hugh wins #7.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 11, 2013 @ 2:10 pm

27. So, how did you translate the “sustaining of the officers” into a Wordle? Did you transcribe it from the audio? Oh my! But clever.

Comment by David Y. — October 11, 2013 @ 2:38 pm

28. Naw — they actually did post a transcription to that bit of business! They made it easy for me, although I’m glad to take the credit for everything else. :)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 11, 2013 @ 3:04 pm

29. Still a few easy ones left… I’ll take #17, “When He Comes Again.”

Comment by lindberg — October 11, 2013 @ 5:24 pm

30. that’s right, lindberg!

I hope some of you have been working on the harder ones, ready to post the solutions when I open it up to multiple answers.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 11, 2013 @ 5:51 pm

31. 1. Boyd K. Packer, “Key to Spiritual Protection”
    2. “Called to Serve”
    3. D. Todd Christofferson, “Moral Force of Women”
    4. David M. McConkie, “Teaching with the Power and Authority of God”
    5. Gérald Caussé, “Ye Are No More Strangers”
    6. Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “Come, Join with Us”
    7. 7. Dallin H. Oaks, “No Other Gods”
    8. Thomas S. Monson, “True Shepherds”
    10.
    11.
    12.
    13. “Put Your Shoulder to the Wheel”
    14.
    15.
    16. Sustaining of Officers
    17. “I Wonder When He Comes Again”
    18. “Abide with Me”
    19. David A. Bednar, “Windows of Heaven”
    20. Jeffrey R. Holland, “Like a Broken Vessel”
    21. Quentin L. Cook, “Lamentations of Jeremiah: Beware of Bondage”
    22.
    23.
    24. Edward Dube, “Look Ahead and Believe”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 11, 2013 @ 5:52 pm

32. Being a night owl and licking my wounds from watching the Dodgers lose has its advantages. I get a chance to figure out one of the remaining wordles after many people have gone to sleep.

#14 – Elder Richard J. Maynes – “The Strength to Endure”.

The word that tipped me off was “basketball.” I remembered wondering when he talked about playing basketball for “a well-respected coach and author at a college in California” if the coach was John Wooden. Don’t know if he did, but the story he told reminded me of my high school football coach and his beginning of the season practices.

Comment by Chris M. — October 12, 2013 @ 12:57 am

33. You’re right, Chris — that’s the one.

Okay, folks, we still have about a half dozen puzzles to solve, so feel free to solve a second and third one. (Unless this really drags on through the day, try not to solve them all in one fell swoop, or swell foop, or whatever.)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 12, 2013 @ 7:05 am

34. 22 is Sister Oscarson. Agnes and Isabelle were the keys for me.

Comment by Mark B. — October 12, 2013 @ 7:21 am

35. Mark B. scores! (Bonnie L. Oscarson, “Be Ye Converted”)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 12, 2013 @ 7:26 am

36. #11 “Do What Is Right” with its stout hearts? I don’t remember that being sung. I do remember the lovely Mack Wilberg arrangement of “Come, Ye Thankful People, Come,” “Called to Serve,” and “There is Sunshine in My Soul.”

Comment by Amy T — October 12, 2013 @ 7:47 am

37. “What What Is Right” was in the middle of the Priesthood session (not that I was — ahem — watching) — and Amy scores another one.

1. Boyd K. Packer, “Key to Spiritual Protection”
    2. “Called to Serve”
    3. D. Todd Christofferson, “Moral Force of Women”
    4. David M. McConkie, “Teaching with the Power and Authority of God”
    5. Gérald Caussé, “Ye Are No More Strangers”
    6. Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “Come, Join with Us”
    7. 7. Dallin H. Oaks, “No Other Gods”
    8. Thomas S. Monson, “True Shepherds”
    10.
    11. “Do What Is Right”
    12.
    13. “Put Your Shoulder to the Wheel”
    14. Richard J. Maynes, “Strength to Endure”
    15.
    16. Sustaining of Officers
    17. “I Wonder When He Comes Again”
    18. “Abide with Me”
    19. David A. Bednar, “Windows of Heaven”
    20. Jeffrey R. Holland, “Like a Broken Vessel”
    21. Quentin L. Cook, “Lamentations of Jeremiah: Beware of Bondage”
    22. Bonnie L. Oscarson, “Be Ye Converted”
    23.
    24. Edward Dube, “Look Ahead and Believe”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 12, 2013 @ 8:07 am

38. #9 is “Power in the Priesthood” by Elder Neil L Andersen. Brazil and Parrella reminded me of the story, but I admit I had to do some browsing to find who the storyteller was.

Comment by Carl C. — October 12, 2013 @ 8:35 am

39. I think #10 is Elder Scott’s talk. It was so good I listened to it twice. I had never looked at the story of the people of Ammon that way.

Comment by Jeannine L. — October 12, 2013 @ 8:45 am

40. You-all are GOOD! Both Carl and Jeannine correctly identify their puzzles.

That leaves us 12, 15, and 23 to solve.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 12, 2013 @ 9:11 am

41. 23 is Elder M. Russell Ballard, “Put Your Trust In the Lord”. I guess it was the size of the word “Missionary” that tipped me off.

Comment by Alison — October 12, 2013 @ 9:50 am

42. Right, Alison!

1. Boyd K. Packer, “Key to Spiritual Protection”
    2. “Called to Serve”
    3. D. Todd Christofferson, “Moral Force of Women”
    4. David M. McConkie, “Teaching with the Power and Authority of God”
    5. Gérald Caussé, “Ye Are No More Strangers”
    6. Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “Come, Join with Us”
    7. 7. Dallin H. Oaks, “No Other Gods”
    8. Thomas S. Monson, “True Shepherds”
    9. Neil L. AndersonSEN, “Power in the Priesthood”
    10. Richard G. Scott, “Personal Strength through the Atonement of Jesus Christ”
    11. “Do What Is Right”
    12.
    13. “Put Your Shoulder to the Wheel”
    14. Richard J. Maynes, “Strength to Endure”
    15.
    16. Sustaining of Officers
    17. “I Wonder When He Comes Again”
    18. “Abide with Me”
    19. David A. Bednar, “Windows of Heaven”
    20. Jeffrey R. Holland, “Like a Broken Vessel”
    21. Quentin L. Cook, “Lamentations of Jeremiah: Beware of Bondage”
    22. Bonnie L. Oscarson, “Be Ye Converted”
    23. M. Russell Ballard, “Put Your Trust in the Lord”
    24. Edward Dube, “Look Ahead and Believe”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 12, 2013 @ 10:02 am

43. Is 12 Pres. Eyring’s priesthood session talk, “Bind Up Their Wounds”? The word “Samaritan” is what I’m remembering.

Comment by Mike Rasmussen — October 12, 2013 @ 10:24 am

44. Going out on a limb here for #15 but the only one I know that used “body” that much was Elder Nelson in his talk “Decisions for Eternity.”

Comment by Chocolate on my Cranium — October 12, 2013 @ 10:46 am

45. Bingo! Mike and Chocolate come through with solutions to the final puzzles! (I started to write “… with the final solutions,” but that didn’t come out right …)

Thanks, everyone, for playing. We now adjourn the Conference Wordle tradition for six months, to reconvene in the days following April Conference, 2014.

1. Boyd K. Packer, “Key to Spiritual Protection”
    2. “Called to Serve”
    3. D. Todd Christofferson, “Moral Force of Women”
    4. David M. McConkie, “Teaching with the Power and Authority of God”
    5. Gérald Caussé, “Ye Are No More Strangers”
    6. Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “Come, Join with Us”
    7. Dallin H. Oaks, “No Other Gods”
    8. Thomas S. Monson, “True Shepherds”
    9. Neil L. AndersonSEN, “Power in the Priesthood”
    10. Richard G. Scott, “Personal Strength through the Atonement of Jesus Christ”
    11. “Do What Is Right”
    12. Henry B. Eyring, “Bind Up Their Wounds”
    13. “Put Your Shoulder to the Wheel”
    14. Richard J. Maynes, “Strength to Endure”
    15. Russell M. Nelson, “Decisions for Eternity”
    16. Sustaining of Officers
    17. “I Wonder When He Comes Again”
    18. “Abide with Me”
    19. David A. Bednar, “Windows of Heaven”
    20. Jeffrey R. Holland, “Like a Broken Vessel”
    21. Quentin L. Cook, “Lamentations of Jeremiah: Beware of Bondage”
    22. Bonnie L. Oscarson, “Be Ye Converted”
    23. M. Russell Ballard, “Put Your Trust in the Lord”
    24. Edward Dube, “Look Ahead and Believe”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 12, 2013 @ 10:49 am

46. Now that we’re done, here’s a shout out from the Danes–Elder Andersen’s name is spelled in the good Danish way, with an SEN at the end!

My Nielsen ancestors would want you all to get it right.

Comment by Mark B. — October 12, 2013 @ 11:36 am

47. When I saw your name in the Recent Comments box, Mark, after the puzzles were all solved, my instant reaction was, “Oh, no, what I have I got wrong this time?” It didn’t take long to find out.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 12, 2013 @ 12:06 pm

48. Fixed throughout.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 12, 2013 @ 12:10 pm

49. LOL. Nice of Mark to make sure Elder Andersen’s ancestors aren’t turning in their graves. : )

Comment by Amy T — October 12, 2013 @ 12:53 pm

50. You know those Danes–a truly great people.

Comment by Mark B. — October 12, 2013 @ 1:54 pm

51. And sticklers for spelling.

Comment by Alison — October 12, 2013 @ 2:50 pm