Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1951

Latter-day Saint Images, 1951

By: Ardis E. Parshall - October 08, 2013

Chief Blue, Catawba Nation (South Carolina)
Visiting Primary Festival at Augusta, Georgia

Monroe North Ward (Utah)
Gospel Doctrine Class

North Ogden 2nd Ward
Children’s Friend Promotion

Iowa City, Iowa
Primary

Jordan Stake (Salt Lake Valley)
Primary Pageant

Lordsburg, New Mexico
Primary Parade

George Albert Smith
Ringing the Liberty Bell

Nampa, Idaho
Primary Valentine’s Day Dance

Lanakila Ward, Oahu Stake
Primary Temple Baptisms

Holbrook Indian Primary
Snowflake, Arizona

1. A few comments.

First, “Navajo Latter-day Saint Men, Rock Springs, Wyoming”? What is the connection between Navajo and Wyoming?

Second, I won’t say anything about the spelling of “Eagar.” A couple of years ago during the wildfires NPR called it “Edgar,” and it was the only funny thing about the whole situation.

Third, what’s the occasion for having the Liberty Bell in the open air? Pres. Smith looks too old for that to be from the 1915 tour. Wikipedia says, “Since the bell returned to Philadelphia [in 1915], it has been moved out of doors only five times: three times for patriotic observances during and after World War I, and twice as the bell occupied new homes in 1976 and 2003.” Either Wikipedia’s wrong (wouldn’t be the first time) or that’s a replica. (But it sure looks like the real thing.)

Comment by Amy T — October 8, 2013 @ 7:07 am

2. I only know what my captions tell me … and sometimes not even that much.

I wondered if perhaps the Navajos were a work crew temporarily in Wyoming, but that’s only a guess. A guess, like my misspelling of that Arizona town. And I won’t even fathom a guess about what GAS was doing with the Liberty Bell, or when or how or why.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 8, 2013 @ 8:07 am

3. Is “Chief Blue” a real Native American, and if so is he the one about whom the story is occasionally told of how another person on the reservation who did not like him “accidentally” shot and killed his son and he forgave the person?

Comment by andrew h — October 8, 2013 @ 8:33 am

4. By the way the “Chief Blue” to whom I refer was Samuel Taylor Blue, of the Catawba Tribe. He was baptized on May 7 of 1897, and may have been the last speaker if the Catawba language. He served as a Branch President and spoke in the April 1950 General Conference.

I met a descendent of his about 10 years ago the was one of the higher ups with CES who told the story of Blue’s life at a training when I was looking into working for CES.

Comment by andrew h — October 8, 2013 @ 8:39 am

5. Chief Blue’s talk can be found here on pages 141-142 http://ia700704.us.archive.org/35/items/conferencereport1950a/conferencereport1950a.pdf

Comment by andrew h — October 8, 2013 @ 8:49 am

6. As always, enjoy these. Nothing of substance to say, just thanks.

Comment by David Y. — October 8, 2013 @ 9:16 am

7. I can’t remember what he looks like, and I only met him under duress, but I strongly suspect that Officer Roberts, the North Ogden police officer when I was in high school, is in that North Ogden 2nd Ward photo. But I would recognize his car anywhere. I had to work off a fine for speeding once by selling North Ogden dog licenses door to door, at $1.50 an hour.

Comment by kevinf — October 8, 2013 @ 9:29 am

8. My grandchildren who live in Iowa City could make up nearly half of that primary all by themselves! I wonder if the men in the back are missionaries, and if was mainly a missionary primary.

Comment by Mark B. — October 8, 2013 @ 11:29 am

9. “Primary Temple Baptisms” reminds me that there was a time you only had to be a member in good standing to do baptisms for the dead. Eight was old enough. Obvious in 1951 that was still the case.

Comment by Bruce Crow — October 8, 2013 @ 2:05 pm

10. Neat pictures! That must be Viers Mill, Maryland.

Comment by Rose — October 8, 2013 @ 4:48 pm

11. Thanks, Rose; I’ve corrected my misreading of the itty bitty type in the magazine from which I scanned this. :)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 9, 2013 @ 9:28 am