Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Venus in Tahiti: 10 December – 31 December 1916

Venus in Tahiti: 10 December – 31 December 1916

By: Ardis E. Parshall - October 06, 2013

(Previous installment)

Papeete Sun. Dec 10, 1916

Went around to visit several families before Sunday School & as a result had an increased attendance. Took some medicine over to Terakis little niece. Hei gave me a nice photograph of herself after Sunday school.

Mon Dec. 11, 1916

Spent the morning mending. Prepared the meals & called to see Martha Krausser in the afternoon.

Tues. Dec. 12, 1916

Wrote letters & prepared meals. Went to the dentist with Sister, afterwards shopping and to call on Terai. Gave Tecopu a long talking about her misconduct & treatment to her old mother. Bought Sister and I each a white duck outing hat. Also a bead purse for Elder Burbidge to send home to his sweetheart for Christmas.

Wed. Dec. 13, 1916

Wrote letters, prepared meals & took some pictures. Bro & Sister Compton & I took a walk down town in the evening.

Thurs. Dec. 14, 1916

the St. Francois arrived at daybreak from Hikueru, & Pres. rossiter & Elders Monk & Orton came in and surprised us. Called to see Terai, Tuko ma, Tahiri ma, Pepe & Timi ma during the afternoon. Visited about an [hour] with the Mayors wife when we returned our sewing for the soldiers.

Fri. Dec 15, 1916

The Tubuai boat came, and brought us a large mess of popoi, a fermented preparation made of taro, done up in a roll of broad leaves. Penny Perrys daughter came in from [blank] to see us. The Moana arrived, bringing 41 Tahitian soldiers who were being returned from New Caledonia on account of their health. Mr Geo Evans who was 2nd mate on the Marama when we came down & who had been ever since in the front on a hospital boat was also on board. he had been promoted to 2nd mate.

Sat. Dec 16, 1916

Cleaned house, finished cards & letters, prepared meals. Went for a walk in the evening down to the wharf with Ern.

Sun. Dec. 17, 1916

Held Sunday School & Sacrament meeting. After dinner we & Comptons walked out to see Philip Poroi and family.

Mon. Dec 18, 1916

Sister and I went to the dentist & on the way home called in to see Tufe and Toaes girls. Martha & Tuka came over to spend the evening.

Tues. Dec. 19

Teata & Tepo came over and we practised songs & talked on the gospel about an hour. Afterwards Sister & I called to see Timi & Punau, Terai & the Drollett family. Timi and family had just come down from Marutea & rented a house in a small lane where all of the people were having a drunken fight. We didnt stay long, and told him he must move as soon as possible from such a terrible place.

Wed. Dec. 20, 1916

I felt very miserable & lay down off and on all day.

Thurs. Dec. 21, 1916

Washed in the morning. Went shopping with Ern in the afternoon, to buy supplies for the Elders in the upper Islands and several articles for the mission house. I also took the two dresses I have made for the soldiers’ family down to Madame Gardellos.

Friday, Dec. 22

We got up early and ironed with the new charcoal irons we had bought the day before. Elder Davis came down on the Hinano, from Takaroa, & the S.S. Maitai arrived with the mail from America.

Sat. Dec 23, 1916

I received a box of chocolates from Trise [?] from both Elders Stocks and Shaw. also received a beautiful guest towel from Sadie Rossiter, a crocheted edged handkerchief from Mrs. David Evan s& a magazine, several handkerchiefs and a boudoir cap from mother. Ern received a neck tie from mother. I also received some pictures of Zina & baby, Fred & Sadie & family, Russells wife & Lida & some of her friends.

Sun. Dec. 24, 1916, Papeete

Had a good sized turn out at Sunday School & afternoon meeting. Elder Compton was not feeling very well & when he was teaching Sunday School he fell in a faint. He was taken over to the house & Elder Davis continued conducting the class. We held a splendid Priesthood meeting at 8: am.

Mon. Dec. 25, 1916

Xmas day and sweltering hot.

We didn’t celebrate any more than having a nice dinner & taking a few pictures out on the lawn. Terai & Taife called to see us in the afternoon. Ern gave Sister Compton & I each a pongee silk parasol, mine embroidered in chrysanthemums & sisters in roses. Comptons gave me a flowered lawn dressing sack and cap to match & a shirt & two pairs of hose to Ern. I gave Sister Compton two hand embroidered dresses for the baby.

Tues. Dec 26, 1916

Printed a lot of pictures and helped in the office. Received a wireless message that the Maitai had run on the rocks at Rorotanga & sunk, but that the passengers, mail & most of the cargo was saved.

Wed. Dec 27, 1916

The Maitai being sunk means that we will only be able to get mail every two months now, until different arrangements can be made. There was a large English vessel in Port and the Governor immediately made arrangements to have mail sent on it so we all spent the morning writing letters to get off on it.

Thurs. Dec. 28, 1916

spent the morning marking garments & mending. Gave one of my dresses & hats to a young soldiers wife who lives neighbor to us. Princess Etwater called to see us. Later Sister and I called to see Terai & Timis family. They had moved now into a nice quiet place about a block from us. Pipi, Timis wife is a Catholic and I had quite a long conversation on Mormonism & Catholicism with her. Also talked some time with their daughter Virau about being baptized.

Fri. Dec. 29, 1916

A large 20 thousand ton English vessel on its way through the Panama canal from England to Australia, stopped at Tahiti. There were a good many disabled English soldiers on board being returned to their homes in Australia and New Zealand. Everything in Papeete was turned over to them, and they had all the first use of automobiles as well as free drinks from the saloons and by the time for leaving arrived they were a sorry looking lot. I am sorry to say, even the lady passengers on board as well. I wondered that they had not seen enough of the hard side of life, coming direct from the war zone, and acting in the disgraceful way they did.

Papeete, Dec. 30, 1916

Cleaned house & wrote letters. later went to the dentist. On the way home I met Timi a Punau and he gave me 2 francs to buy bread with he said. Called in to see Mrs Lund, and Tarere `who had come to live in the little house next to the church. In the evening went with Ern down to Terais to get the clothes & Tecopu was making a very pretty hat for a woman, so Ern ordered her to make one for me too. From Terais, we went down to Timis and spent the evening.

Sun. Dec. 31, 1916

Held S.S. & Sacrament meeting was usual and had quite a number of strangers present. In the evening Ern & I went down to Mr. Louis Drollets & to Timis. We had a long gospel conversation with Pepe, Timis wife. When we left they gave us a basket of fruit.

(To be continued)



  1. More trips to the dentist!

    Last week I worked on Venus’s Family Tree entry a bit, and added the picture that was in the post. It was easy to identify and label each of the missionaries, except I couldn’t figure out the identity of the Comptons. Any clues on their identity? Any relation to the historian?

    Er, never mind. Just figured out that one. Instead of trying to find the parents, I entered the baby into the search field. That was easy. The parents were George Albert Compton (1891-1986) and Margaret Estella Mattson Compton (1897-1982) and the baby was Marama “Bud” Compton (1916-2012).

    Here’s a blog post about the family with some lovely pictures of Venus and Margaret and Bud: (A Separation–Margaret and Bud Have to Return to the States, George Stays Behind in Tahiti).

    Comment by Amy T — October 6, 2013 @ 4:15 pm

  2. Wonderful post and pictures, Amy; thanks. I wonder if that blogger would pck up interest again if we sent her links to Venus’s comments on the Comptons?

    Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 6, 2013 @ 4:37 pm

  3. Perhaps. Do you want to leave a note, or should I? It sounds like both of the Comptons left extensive documentation of their mission.

    Comment by Amy T — October 7, 2013 @ 6:16 am

  4. Let’s both — you comment publicly about something you enjoy there, and I’ll write privately and offer copies of what I have.

    And anybody else who reads this, why not join us in showing the interest that might coax a revival there?

    Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 7, 2013 @ 7:07 am

Leave a comment

RSS feed for comments on this post.
TrackBack URI