Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1918 (2)

Latter-day Saint Images, 1918 (2)

By: Ardis E. Parshall - September 04, 2013

General Authorities at April Conference:

Seated (left to right): Rudger Clawson, Heber J. Grant, Anthon H. Lund, Joseph F. Smith, Charles W. Penrose, George Albert Smith, Charles W. Nibley

Standing (left to right): Orrin P. Miller, Anthony W. Ivins, Charles H. Hart, Orson F. Whitney, David O. McKay, Rulon S. Wells, Joseph Fielding Smith, J. Golden Kimball, James E. Talmage, Stephen L Richards, Joseph W. McMurrin, Hyrum G. Smith, Richard R. Lyman, Levi Edgar Young, David A. Smith

Absent: Reed Smoot (in Washington, D.C.); George F. Richards (in England), Seymour B. Young (ill), B.H. Roberts (at Camp Kearny, California)

Fort Thomas, Arizona

Tahiti

Relief Society General Board

Alamo, Nevada
Beehive Girls

Columbia, South Carolina
Relief Society

1. I hadn’t realized how much I miss these. Thanks.

Comment by Bruce Crow — September 4, 2013 @ 7:31 am

2. Yeah, Bruce, I always enjoy these, too.

Comment by David Y. — September 4, 2013 @ 7:51 am

3. Wonderful set of pictures and a rich, diverse snapshot of our history. My absolute favorite (love it!) is the picture of the Relief Society General Board. What a great picture.

Comment by Amy T — September 4, 2013 @ 8:00 am

4. Another great selection. Thanks, Ardis! I like that there are so many photos of women. And also that apostles and seventies are mixed up together in the first photo. Any idea who the women in front is (in the Relief Society General Board photo)? Emmeline B. Wells?

Comment by Gary Bergera — September 4, 2013 @ 9:22 am

5. Thanks, Ardis. I always love these posts, as well.

One question (that you may well have answered in a previous iteration of the LDS Images series): were these photos—the formal, arranged ones, anyways—typically taken with the intent to have them published by the church? Do you know?

Comment by Christopher — September 4, 2013 @ 9:49 am

6. Let me add my thanks.

Ardis, is the Brooklyn Relief Society photo from the Improvement Era? Or is it just an undated photo in the archives?

I know that the source doesn’t always indicate the date of the photo or who is in the photo, but if you have that information, I’d sure like to know.

Comment by Kent Larsen — September 4, 2013 @ 10:34 am

7. Gary, the one with the fur collar, being supported by two others? Yes, that’s Emmeline B. Wells. It *is* a great shot, isn’t it, Amy?

Chris, since virtually all of those I’ve posted (including all in this issue) were scanned from LDS publications, I think publication was the intent. Or, at least, copies were sent in with the hope of publication, even if a group photo was primarily taken so that members of the group could have copies. I occasionally see the same group shot of missionaries in both the Liahona and in the papers of one or two missionaries in the group.

Bruce and David, I suddenly realized it had been quite a while since I’d run photos. I’ve missed them, too.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — September 4, 2013 @ 10:37 am

8. Thanks, Ardis. Part of what I’m wondering is whether these sort of staged group photos were used elsewhere (personal albums/keepsakes, local advertisements, ward histories, etc) or taken with the express intent of sending them to Salt Lake. It’s just not the sort of thing most wards, Sunday Schools, etc. do today (at least not wards I’ve attended/belonged to) and I was curious.

Comment by Christopher — September 4, 2013 @ 10:41 am

9. Kent, that one is from the Relief Society Magazine. Although I didn’t track them originally, for the past several years I’ve posted names here when they were available. The magazines hardly ever identified people in group shots, though, except in the rare case of naming a bishop or Sunday School superintendent or other leader. Unless a photo was taken to commemorate something obvious, dates are also generally unavailable. I date these according to the year they were published, although of course it’s possible that they were actually taken in the preceding year, especially for photos published in the first few months of a year.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — September 4, 2013 @ 10:42 am

10. I suppose the one exception in my experience comes from my mission, where each year at the annual Christmas conference we’d take a giant group shot of all the missionaries.

Comment by Christopher — September 4, 2013 @ 10:42 am

11. Always terrific. In the first photo, I am surprised that Joseph Fielding Smith appears to be much shorter than the rest of them. Even though I recall seeing him in real life on a couple of occasions, I would have pegged him at about 5″ 11″ or so, but he appears quite short compared to David O. McKay and J. Golden Kimball. Of course, both of them were always larger than life characters anyway.

Comment by kevinf — September 4, 2013 @ 1:06 pm

12. I love, love, love this series! keep it up!

Comment by Cameron — September 4, 2013 @ 1:49 pm

13. A wonderful set of photographs. Thanks, as always, Ardis.

I’ve tried comparing some of the women in that Brooklyn picture with the photos I have–and I just cannot see clearly enough to tell if any of them are a match. Maybe in the resurrection I’ll have better vision. Or the pictures will be restored to their proper clarity!

Comment by Mark B. — September 4, 2013 @ 1:52 pm

14. I thought that the Relief Society General Board was a photo of prospective nannies queuing up, outside Mr. and Mrs Banks house.

Comment by Carl C. — September 4, 2013 @ 7:18 pm

15. I have missed these pictures, too. Keep sending them.

Comment by Maurine — September 5, 2013 @ 12:03 am

16. #14 Carl: Yes, practically perfect in every way.

Someone has better eyesight than me to be able to identify the GAs in that top photo.

Comment by The Other Clark — September 5, 2013 @ 1:41 pm

17. I am trying to figure out what is going on in the left side of the first image. A woman is standing in profile to the camera; she seems to be wearing an apron, and has something in her arms, as if she is handing it to the man in front of her. He looks as if he were holding balloons… or something large and lumpy. Any thoughts?

Comment by Coffinberry — September 6, 2013 @ 7:02 pm