Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » “I Take Up My Pen”: Big Horn Basin Colonization Company, 1904

“I Take Up My Pen”: Big Horn Basin Colonization Company, 1904

By: Ardis E. Parshall - September 03, 2013

Mormon colonization projects: Not just for the 19th century:

1. Things were pretty well established by 1904. The original group left Ogden on 2 Feb 1900 to scout out the land and the prospects in the Big Horn Basin. The first settlers arrived in the vicinity of the final settlements 15 May 1900. The Big Horn Stake was organized 25 May 1901. I can remember my grandmother telling us about the trip by wagon and her pointing out campsites they’d used in South Pass. She was the first child baptized in the basin. Her father was one of the company directors listed above and part of the first stake presidency. Of course it still wasn’t the 19th century.

Comment by STW — September 3, 2013 @ 8:43 pm

2. That was fun to read, STW, thanks! I have an interesting report of a stake conference tour made through this area about this time, that I plan to write up as a post. Maybe you’ll recognize some of the names there when I do.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — September 3, 2013 @ 8:57 pm

3. Some of those names are familiar from my St. George project. I’d seen that some of the children of the original pioneers headed up to Wyoming, but I hadn’t been aware of any of the details of the settlements.

Here’s a good summary, copied from an article in the February 1950 Improvement Era. (Link.)

Comment by Amy T — September 4, 2013 @ 6:48 am

4. Another write up is here

Comment by STW — September 4, 2013 @ 2:37 pm

5. I apparently broke the link thingy.

Comment by STW — September 4, 2013 @ 2:38 pm

6. My 2nd great Grandfather was one of the directors listed in the ad. Does anyone know where I can further research this? I have already found some good information in this book, for those interested. “William F. Cody’s Wyoming Empire: The Buffalo Bill Nobody Knows”. If anyone knows of any additional sources they can point me towards I would much appreciate it.

Comment by CEK — September 4, 2013 @ 6:32 pm

7. One book if you can find it used.

History of the Big Horn Basin by Charles A Welch – January 1, 1940 (The family did a reprint within the last 10 years)

Myfamily.com has a Cowley, WY web site with some pretty good information in its historical sections.

Comment by STW — September 5, 2013 @ 11:01 am

8. This is a great beginning for a bibliography on the settlement of the Big Horn Basin. Thank you, STW.

I couldn’t find anything dedicated to the topic in BYU Master’s Theses on Mormonism.

Oh, History of the Big Horn Basin is available through Family History Books at FamilySearch. (I’ve been meaning to write a guest post about this new resource and should probably do it sooner rather than later.) The book is still under copyright, so you have to go to a FamilySearch Center to see the digital version. There are other books available through the website about the families listed here, including the Crosby and Woodruff families.

Comment by Amy T — September 5, 2013 @ 1:15 pm