Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » A Trip to the Sun

By Glen Mahoney
Merthyr Tydfil, age 10

A trip to the sun
Would not be much fun,
For you’d grow too old
On the way.
The sun’s heat is white,
It sends a great light,
To shine on our earth to make day.

The sun has no trees,

Near this star;
No, a trip to the sun
Would not be much fun,
It’s millions of miles
Too far.

(1969)

1. That’s one of the better poems I’ve seen you post, Ardis.

And his list of the disadvantages of the sun seem to apply equally well to most descriptions of the celestial kingdom–a great urim and thummim, streets paved with gold, etc., etc. :)

Comment by Mark B. — August 22, 2013 @ 12:34 pm

2. So pleased to have finally met your aesthetic, Mark! :)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 22, 2013 @ 12:59 pm

3. Sounds sort of like early John Ciardi. :)

Comment by Mark B. — August 22, 2013 @ 1:09 pm

4. It also can be sung to the tune of “Wien, Wien, nur du allein.” All we need is the refrain.

Comment by Mark B. — August 22, 2013 @ 1:14 pm

5. Mark, I am with you on this, threadjack/heresy though it may be. A celestial kingdom without mountains, rivers, beaches, canyons, or forests, makes me think of the line from “Monty Python and the Holy Grail,” where after a ridiculous bit of dancing and singing about Camelot, King Arthur turns to his companions and says something like, “Let’s really not go there; it’s rather a silly place.”

I haven’t seen the newest temple film yet, but my own observation is that the “lone and dreary world” is a lot more interesting place than the ultraminimalist celestial dwellings without chairs, tables, or walls, let alone natural scenery of any kind, and too many bright lights.

Comment by kevinf — August 22, 2013 @ 2:19 pm

6. Merthyr Tydfil. That sounds familiar. Okay, I had to do a search, but that’s where Philip Sykes was from. (He played the starring role in the poem “A True Story” by Hannah Last Cornaby.)

David O. McKay also had family connections to Merthyr Tydfil.

Comment by Amy T — August 22, 2013 @ 2:21 pm

7. I can’t help but notice a certain contrast between kevinf’s and Amy’s comments. (Both extremely welcome, of course.)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 22, 2013 @ 2:41 pm

8. Obviously, my comments were so outre that they can’t be compared or contrasted with any others.

Comment by Mark B. — August 22, 2013 @ 3:32 pm

9. Merthyr Tydvil “Martyr TUHD-vuhl,” was the center of the Industrial Revolution in Wales (not a pretty thing) and also the center of Dan Jones’s LDS missionary efforts (although there were earlier Welsh converts just a valley or two to the East).

Tydvil was one of the two dozen children of Brychan Brechniog, all of whom were early Christian saints, some martyred by non-Christians. The County of Brecknock or Breconshire (now part of Powys) was named for Brychan Brechniog. And, yeah, he’s an ancestor of mine – at least through mythological pedigrees.

Glen Mahoney must be about my age now (well, he was back then, too). So, I wonder what he’s up to these days? Did he become an astronaut? A poet? Hopefully, he remained active in the church. I only went to church in the Hereford Ward when I was over there.

As for heaven, I think it must look like Cymru (“Wales” for the heathen Saxons)- That would be the pre- or post-industrialized version. It probably will, if I use my urim and thummim right.

Comment by Grant — August 22, 2013 @ 3:56 pm

10. A class of their own, Mark, a class of their own.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 22, 2013 @ 4:04 pm

11. I don’t know about our poet Glen, but this is almost certainly his father, John Mahoney.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 22, 2013 @ 4:04 pm