Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » “I Take Up My Pen”: Spanish American Mission, 1945

“I Take Up My Pen”: Spanish American Mission, 1945

By: Ardis E. Parshall - August 13, 2013

This mission overlapped other missions, geographically: it was directed toward Spanish-speakers almost anywhere they lived in the southwestern-ish United States.

1. Interesting font choice.

Comment by Amy T — August 13, 2013 @ 2:11 pm

2. ¡Que viva la misión!

Comment by Grant — August 13, 2013 @ 9:31 pm

3. My grandfather Morris Wilson would have served under President Jones. I am currently compiling a history of his mission using his mission journals and his mission photo album.
    For the introduction to this history, I have been trying to find a brief description of the Spanish American mission (when it was organized, mission boundaries, mission presidents, etc. from 1941-1944). This tidbit is really helpful, I hadn’t realized this mission overlapped other English speaking mission boundaries. Thanks!

Comment by Pamela Wheeler — November 5, 2014 @ 11:30 pm

4. Pamela, David F. Haymore was president in 1941; he was replaced in January 1943 by Lorin Jones, who was there beyond the time your grandfather was there. The mission was organized in June 1936, when the Mexican Mission was divided between the Republic of Mexico (continuing as “the Mexican Mission”) and territories in the United States where Spanish was a common language, from Texas to California, and up into Colorado and Utah. Mission headquarters was at El Paso, Texas.

Glancing through the mission history, I see your grandfather’s name here and there. There’s a story in the Deseret News, 16 January 1943, with a picture of your grandfather and some companions standing in front of a chapel they had built at Llano, New Mexico. You probably have that picture if your have your grandfather’s album, but if not, let me know and I’ll get it for you.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 6, 2014 @ 3:12 pm

5. Ardis and Pamela,

So glad to have found you. I am doing some research to help put together a history of the Church in Pecos, Texas. I am interested in finding the mission boundaries, mission presidents, etc. from 1948-1960.

Ardis,

When you say, “Glancing through the mission history, I see your grandfather’s name here and there.” When is this mission history available?

Comment by David E. Alba — June 12, 2015 @ 8:39 pm

6. David, I live near the Church History Library in Salt Lake and have spent a lot of time there. The history I’m speaking of was assembled by the Church Historian’s Office, a separate history for every branch, ward, stake, and mission in the Church. It is not a published history, but remains in manuscript form in the Church History Library. It is available for you to read in person at the Library in Salt Lake; I’m not sure, though, whether the Library will digitize it for you.

By going to the online catalog (https://history.lds.org/section/library?lang=eng) and plugging in /pecos texas/ as a search term, I see they have bot this manuscript history (LR 6823 2) and a number of minutes and other items. On the main library page (the link at the beginning of this paragraph), you’ll see an “Ask Us” button where you can ask a librarian for help in getting access to materials, if you can’t come to the Library in person.

Good luck.