Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » “I Take Up My Pen … “: From Syria, 1908

“I Take Up My Pen … “: From Syria, 1908

By: Ardis E. Parshall - July 18, 2013

Our two largest branches in the Turkish Mission, Aintab and Aleppo, were actually in Syria, which was part of the Ottoman (or Turkish) Empire until the end of World War I. Two of our missionaries had this letterhead printed for use in 1908-09:

1. This is cool, partly because I believe the William A. Budge listed is the same man who later became a patriarch in Ogden in the 1960s. My wife and I both received our patriarchal blessings from him.

Comment by kevinf — July 18, 2013 @ 2:59 pm

2. Cool find!

Comment by David Y. — July 19, 2013 @ 12:16 am

3. 3 votes for “cool”

I have got to design me some letterhead!

Comment by Grant — July 19, 2013 @ 6:54 am

4. My Arabic reading isn’t the greatest of all time, but it looks like the top line is just a transliteration of the missionaries’ names; the next line down starts with the word “Mormon” and, after the star, is the place-name. My one missing word HAS to mean “missionaries,” but it is neither a transliteration of the English “missionaries” nor is it the Arabic word for “missionaries” that I remember learning (but it’s been thirteen years…).

Comment by S — July 19, 2013 @ 7:11 pm

5. That’s because it isn’t Arabic, it’s Turkish. Or rather, it’s a transliteration of “missionar” + the Turkish plural suffix -lar.

Comment by Lennart Sundelin — July 21, 2013 @ 7:24 pm

6. The Church has records of the Turkish mission written in the Turkish language but in the Armenian alphabet. Someone with the right language skills could make a real contribution to our knowledge of that mission and the early Saints there.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — July 21, 2013 @ 7:38 pm