Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » “I Take Up My Pen …”: From the Historian’s Office, 1889

“I Take Up My Pen …”: From the Historian’s Office, 1889

By: Ardis E. Parshall - July 12, 2013

So much of our history (our scripture, even) is preserved in letters. We rightly concentrate on the words of that correspondence — but to those of us lucky enough to work with the original materials, the actual paper and ink of those letters is part of the experience.

Here, for example is the letterhead used by the Historian’s Office in 1889:

This may be the grandest letterhead I’ve run across in Church documents. Others, though simpler, are just as much a part of our heritage — imagine the history, the testimony, the news, that has been borne on these pages …

(This is the first of a new series.)

1. When you’re finished with the series, you should send a link along to the designers who came up with the church’s current logo. Let them read it and weep!

One request: could you include links to photos of the letterheads which we could then download, enlarge, and examine at our leisure? Please!

Comment by Mark B. — July 12, 2013 @ 11:58 am

2. Oh, and I should have said Thanks! And, That’s terrific!

Comment by Mark B. — July 12, 2013 @ 11:58 am

3. I don’t know how to do that, Mark. If someone will send me the code, I’ll be glad to make it so.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — July 12, 2013 @ 12:04 pm

4. Ardis, I notice there’s not a hyphen between “Latter” and “Day.” Do you happen to know anything about the history of this particular hyphen?

Comment by Gary Bergera — July 12, 2013 @ 3:26 pm

5. Nope, other than that I’ve seen the name with and without a hyphen, with an uppercase or lowercase D, up to at least 1950. I don’t know whether there was an announced preference that some people overlooked, or when the current style was insisted on.

Whenever the current style was dictated, I know the Church was frugal enough that they would have kept using old paper stocks until they were gone, regardless of what was printed, so the changeover must have been gradual.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — July 12, 2013 @ 6:46 pm