Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1941 (5)

Latter-day Saint Images, 1941 (5)

By: Ardis E. Parshall - June 06, 2013

Returned Missionaries, in the service at Fort Ord, California

(front row, left to right:) R.D. Kelly (German-Austrian,’32-‘36), Leo Merrill, H.E. Larsen (South African’38-‘40), James Unopulos, Dr. A.C. Sessions (president, Watsonville Branch), Sister A.C. Sessions, Hugh B. Brown (Church-Army coordinator), Sister Reuben E. Curtis, Chaplain Reuben E. Curtis (Central States,’26-‘28), George S. Walker (British Mission; now president of Pacific Grove Branch), Richard Crandall (California Mission)
(second row:) Philo E. Henricksen (Danish, ‘36-‘39), L. Thomas Long, Charles Wright(California, ‘35-‘37), M.P. Gunnell (British Mission,’30-‘31), Zemmeth Hale, M. Jensen, J.W. Harper, L. Noyes (Western States,’35-‘37), E.W. Nielsen (San Juan Stake, ‘39-‘41), J. Harold Call (Spanish-American,’37-‘40), R.S. Wilcox (California Mission)

Afton South Ward, Wyoming

Dedication of Monument on Site of Logan Temple Sawmill

South Sevier Stake
Past Stake Relief Society Presidents:

Matilda B. Ross, Nina Hanson, Ada Anderson, Anetta Christensen, Jetta Marquardson

Southern Australia
LDS Basketball Teams

Snowflake, Arizona
Oldest and Youngest Mothers, at Mother-Daughter Party

Sacramento Stake, California
Singing Mothers

Montgomery, Alabama
MIA Pageant: “Brigham Young Leads the Way”

Melvin Fisher, of Butte, Montana
World Speed Skating Recorder Holder (880 yards in 1 minute, 23.2 seconds)

Blackfoot (Idaho) Second Ward
Past Ward Relief Society Presidents

(standing, left to right:) Cecil Clifford Spindler (then of Sacramento, California), Jane Harward (Salt Lake City), Emma Merkley (Blackfoot), Jane Terry (Salt Lake City), Ida Eskelsen (Blackfoot), Afton Johnston (Blackfoot), Sarah Marshall(Blackfoot)
(sitting:) Mary E. Jacobs (Blackfoot), Flora Johnston (Blackfoot), Kathrine Heese (Blackfoot), Viola Goates (Blackfoot

North Hollywood, California
Beehive Girl Silver Jubilee

Hugh B. Brown
Addressing Servicemen at Fort Ord, California

Juab County, Utah
Harvesting Welfare Wheat

Weiser, Idaho
Aaronic Priesthood Chorus

Michigan Wards Junior Girls Queens

1. I had to download, zoom, and look closely on that Weiser Aaronic Priesthood Chorus to see if that guy on the far left could possibly be my Mom’s Uncle Joe. But, no, it doesn’t fit at all and I’m not sure exactly which year in the 40’s he moved up there anyway. I’ll have to ask my Mom. She probably won’t remember but it will jump start a lot of other stories. The best part is her Uncle Joe, brother to her dad, married her mom’s sister making the children of the two families double cousins and basically indistinguishable as to which parents they came from.

Comment by Grant — June 6, 2013 @ 9:37 am

2. Can’t read the caption on the Afton South Ward Primary, but I am wondering what the heck those costumes are supposed to be?

I am also finding it hard to find out anything about Melvin Fisher, the speed skater. Nothing of significance on Google. Anybody else know anything about him?

Comment by kevinf — June 6, 2013 @ 11:12 am

3. It looks to me like “The Land of Happy Hearts Operetta”.

The picture is much clearer here.

Comment by Carol — June 6, 2013 @ 11:18 am

4. Carol,

Thanks, the picture on your link is much clearer, but now I am even more confused, as the vague graininess of the photo here is traded for kids dressed in costumes, including some that look like jalapeno peppers, and at least one taco. Land of happy hearts, indeed.

Comment by kevinf — June 6, 2013 @ 1:59 pm

5. A great set of photographs! I suspect that it’s the fault of the original you’re scanning, but the youngest Snowflake mother doesn’t look all that much younger than the oldest one. I guess life was hard there.

Is there any clue about who they were?

Comment by Mark B. — June 6, 2013 @ 3:22 pm

6. And, that photo of Bro. Brown speaking at Ft. Ord doesn’t look at all like him, although the picture of him with the group of returned missionaries does. What happened to his hair in the second photo? Or is it really him?

Comment by Mark B. — June 6, 2013 @ 3:26 pm

7. I can only quote the captions provided, Mark — I wish I did know the mothers, but I still thought it was interesting to note they had asked the question about oldest/youngest. And it didn’t look like HBBrown to me, either, although the caption said it was — I’ve looked carefully at each of the men on the standard wondering whether they snapped a picture of the guy introducing HBBrown instead of taking a picture of the actual speech, but unless he’s directly behind the pulpit none of those seated men look any more like HBBrown than the speaker.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — June 6, 2013 @ 4:00 pm

8. I wondered too if Brother Hugh B. was behind the pulpit, since none of those men
    looked at all like him, including the one standing up.

Comment by Mark B. — June 6, 2013 @ 8:45 pm

9. Grant, my dad’s brother married my mom’s sister, so I have double cousins, also. It is really quite fun.

Comment by Maurine — June 10, 2013 @ 8:44 pm

10. I am intrigued by the hair style of Jetta Marquardson from the South Sevier Stake past RS presidents.

Comment by Maurine — June 10, 2013 @ 8:46 pm