Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Book of Mormon Alphabet (Puzzle)

Book of Mormon Alphabet (Puzzle)

By: Ardis E. Parshall - April 26, 2013

Book of Mormon Alphabet

Want to test your knowledge of Book of Mormon people and places? Identify one or two of the names in these rhyming clues. (A couple of them are a little odd:  “F” is for “Flower” but the name of the flower doesn’t begin with “F”; “Q” is similarly off.)  Remember, just one or two, to allow more people to play.

A was a martyr for God and the truth.
B was a prophet king, righteous from youth.
C was a Jaredite king left alone.
D was a land of which little is known.
E while around him his people were killed
Lived to see all his prophecies fulfilled.
F Of all flowers that bloomed in the sun
But one is mentioned, find out which one.
G was a robber band wicked and vile.
H was a builder whose ships reached far isles.
I was of Ephraim from a land far away;
J was so faithful, the waves did obey.
K was an anti-Christ seeking a sign;
L was an Israelite Patriarch benign.
M gave a name to people of God;
N in a vision saw “The Iron Rod.”
O righteous king with thirty-one offspring;
P was chief judge, when the Nephites were warring.
Q was a queen converted by dream;
R was a hill where the records were seen.
S his people all murdered, S lost his head;
T mighty general, the Lamanites dread.
U was a Bible king known by Isaiah;
Z mighty city, burned up with fire.

(1923)

1. Well, since I got here first, I’m going for Shiz. The only Book of Mormon name that’s become (more or less) a 21st century euphemism.

Comment by Mark B. — April 26, 2013 @ 7:39 am

2. We’re off to a great start: Shiz has been hit on by his fan.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 26, 2013 @ 8:15 am

3. M is Mormon

Comment by Carol — April 26, 2013 @ 8:40 am

4. O is for Orihah, first Jaredite King, and apparently, more literally than George Washington, the Father of his Nation.

Hung up on the Q for Qeen

Comment by kevinf — April 26, 2013 @ 10:19 am

5. I’m not sure why I remember this but how about “P for Pahoran”.

Comment by PJD — April 26, 2013 @ 10:35 am

6. Should I feel badly that I hit upon “Korihor” right away?

OK, full answer: “K for Korihor.”

Comment by David Y. — April 26, 2013 @ 10:50 am

7. Closest I can come on Q for Queen is the wife of King Lamoni, but it never mentions a dream specifically, so I could be wrong. Her servant Abish had either seen a vision herself of her father, or was told of a vision of her father’s, and she was key in the conversion of Lamoni and his queenly wife with no sense of smell. Or while Mrs. Lamoni was out in her swoon, that might be counted as a dream. Have I justified my answer enough?

Comment by kevinf — April 26, 2013 @ 11:03 am

8. C is Coriantumr, poor lonely soul

Comment by iguacufalls — April 26, 2013 @ 11:25 am

9. You are all correct, for C, K, M, O, P, Q, S.

The answer key from the magazine does list Q for Queen of Lamoni,without explanation. The clue doesn’t say her own dream, but merely “by dream,” so I think you’re right, kevinf,it works to have her conversion spurred by a dream at several degrees of separation.

It’s funny what small stories and hard-to-recall names do come to mind!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 26, 2013 @ 11:30 am

10. “Shiz has been hit on by his fan.”

That line is worth the trip.

But:

I’m not above taking the easy one:

A is Abinadi.

Comment by Paul — April 26, 2013 @ 11:44 am

11. G must be Gadiantan.

Comment by Maurine — April 26, 2013 @ 2:57 pm

12. Paul and Maurine have added to the solution:

A, C, G, K, M, O, P, Q, S are known

B, D, E, F, H, I, J, L, N, R, T, U, Z are still open

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 26, 2013 @ 3:27 pm

13. T is for Teancum.

Comment by Alison — April 26, 2013 @ 5:23 pm

14. Desolation

Comment by Left Field — April 27, 2013 @ 2:41 am

15. I for Ishmael. And Flowers? Are there any but lilies mentioned by name? (3 Nephi 13:28).

And, isn’t about half of this list from the Book of Ether?

Comment by Mark B. — April 27, 2013 @ 7:20 am

16. There seemed to be a preference in the late 19th/early 20th centuries to teach the Book of Mormon in chronological order — i.e., beginning with the Book of Ether. I’ve seen that in some of the curriculum, and even into the 1950s when Phil Dalby was drawing his weekly Book of Mormon comic strip, he began with Ether (although I posted that where Ether is placed in the BoM, not first). Is it possible, then, that people were more familiar with Ether because they had read it more times before letting their reading lapse, just as there is a tendency today for people to be most familiar with the pre-Isaiah chapters of 1 and 2 Nephi because they keep starting, lapsing, and start over? (I emphasize that is a total speculation, not something I could demonstrate.)

The additional solutions are, of course, correct:

A, C, D, G, I, K, L, M, O, P, Q, S, T are known

B, E, F, H, J, N, R, U, Z are still open

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 27, 2013 @ 7:37 am

17. B is Benjamin

Comment by Carol — April 27, 2013 @ 9:33 am

18. Z is Zarahemla

Comment by Maurine — April 27, 2013 @ 7:14 pm

19. Late to the game and I can still play. Woo hoo!
    E is Ether.
    R is Ramah

Two more for the Ether First method of reading. When my Dad first read the BoM to me as a child, that’s how we did it, too (c.1982)

Comment by The Other Clark — April 29, 2013 @ 1:14 pm

20. Cheers for Carol,Maurine,and TOClark!

A, B, C, D, E, G, I, K, L, M, O, P, Q, R, S, T, Z are known

F, H, J, N, U are still open

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 29, 2013 @ 1:47 pm

21. F? Was “Lilies” wrong?

Comment by Mark B. — April 29, 2013 @ 2:04 pm

22. Hagoth, Jesus, Nephi and Uzziah?

Comment by Mark B. — April 29, 2013 @ 2:04 pm

23. H=Hagoth
    N=Nephi

Comment by iguacufalls — April 29, 2013 @ 2:04 pm

24. Whoops – you were right with F, Mark, and all the others. You, too, iguacufalls.

There’s you’ve put me out of my misery.

Thanks!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 29, 2013 @ 2:09 pm

25. U must be Ur. J would be Jacob.

Comment by lindberg — April 29, 2013 @ 3:16 pm

26. Did we miss L for Lehi?

Comment by Julie — May 1, 2013 @ 9:16 am