Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Conference Wordles! April 2013

Conference Wordles! April 2013

By: Ardis E. Parshall - April 11, 2013

[Update: All puzzles have now been solved (answers in comment 52). But you can still play, by looking at the Wordles before you read any comments.]

Welcome to our traditional after-Conference puzzlefest.

If you’re new, here’s the background: Each puzzle represents one talk, hymn, prayer, piece of business, or other part of the recent General Conference; puzzles may come from any session, including the Young Women meeting held one week before Conference. The text of each talk, etc., has been run through the machine at Wordle.net, which analyzes how many times each word was used. The words used most often appear in the largest type, with lesser-used words in smaller type.

Your task is to identify the talk, etc. – maybe there are key words that appear in very large type, or maybe the speaker referred to an unusual name or place which shows up in the puzzle.

When you identify a puzzle, please give us the number of the puzzle, the name of the speaker, and the name of the talk. A directory of the talks and music, with links to each talk, can be found here.

Please solve only one puzzle. Later in the afternoon, after most of our regular readers have had a chance to visit and solve a puzzle, we’ll open up all the unsolved puzzles for you to solve as many as you want.

Ready … set … go!

19:

20:

21:

22:

23:

24:

1. First one I think is Elaine S. Dalton, Saturday morning,”We are Daughters of our Heavenly Father”.

Comment by Dovie — April 11, 2013 @ 6:50 am

2. I’ll do the one that makes me laugh.

13: Nearer, my God, to Thee from the Priesthood session.

(I haven’t double checked it closely, but I don’t think I’m wrong. If you’re playing a trick with it, it’s a good one.)

Comment by Carol — April 11, 2013 @ 6:53 am

3. Thanks for that easy one up top. It was my one tiny reward for getting up and going so darn early this morning. I think I know a few others and so I’ll check back later and see if they are solved.

Comment by Dovie — April 11, 2013 @ 7:12 am

4. 23 is the business of the conference: the sustainings and so forth.

Comment by Daniel — April 11, 2013 @ 7:13 am

5. I laughed out loud at #13, too!

#5 is Elder Nelson: Catch the Wave. (This one is on my mind since in Early Morning Seminary this morning this talk was featured in conference Jeaopardy.)

Comment by Paul — April 11, 2013 @ 7:30 am

6. Well, I’ll snag 23 as pretty easy. President Uchtdorf’s sustainings and releases of Saturday Afternoon

Comment by Grant — April 11, 2013 @ 7:38 am

7. I’ll take the easy one. #15, Audit Report

Comment by Matt W. — April 11, 2013 @ 7:43 am

8. So the low-hanging fruit of the conference business (sustainings,audit) are picked off early! Dovie and Paul are correct with their identification of the two talks.

And Carol, I had to run the Wordle program a dozen or more times to get those three huge words to appear in precisely that arrangement. You’d have got it anyway, but it took effort to make the puzzle THAT extra easy! :D

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 11, 2013 @ 8:32 am

9. #8 is Sister Jean A. Stevens’ closing prayer from the Saturday morning session.

Comment by Alison — April 11, 2013 @ 8:36 am

10. Yes, Alison! (This is the first time a prayer has appeared in these Wordles. We make history!)

Recap:

1 – Elaine S. Dalton, “We Are Daughters of Our Heavenly Father”
    2 -
    3 -
    4 -
    5 – Russell M. Nelson, “Catch the Wave”
    6 -
    22 -
    23 – Sustaining of Church Officers
    24 -
    25 -
    26 -

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 11, 2013 @ 8:43 am

11. Daniel’s comment (4) with his recognition of the Audit Report was caught in the filter until just now, meaning that Grant hadn’t seen it when he re-solved that puzzle. Want to take a crack at another one, Grant?

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 11, 2013 @ 8:52 am

12. Number 14 is Elder Holland’s amazing talk. And, if I hadn’t been in court this morning, I would have identified #1 as the talk that so many people were crabbing about over at some other blog.

Comment by Mark B. — April 11, 2013 @ 8:56 am

13. These are all either too easy or too hard. I intend to write a sternly-worded letter to the Times. Something must be done!

Comment by Adam G. — April 11, 2013 @ 9:53 am

14. I think 22 is Pres Uchtdorf’s priesthood talk about the Four Titles. I love that man!

Comment by Kerri — April 11, 2013 @ 10:12 am

15. 22 is uchtdorf’s amazing gift of a talk.

Comment by anonlds — April 11, 2013 @ 10:23 am

16. Two more talks identified (thanks, Mark B. and anonlds), and a disguised admission by that rabblerouser Adam G. that he doesn’t know what the heck is going on.

Recap:

1 – Elaine S. Dalton, “We Are Daughters of Our Heavenly Father”
    2 -
    3 -
    4 -
    5 – Russell M. Nelson, “Catch the Wave”
    6 -
    7 -
    8 – Benediction, Jean A. Stevens
    9 -
    10 -
    11 -
    12 -
    13 – Nearer My God to Thee
    14 – Jeffrey R. Holland, “Lord, I Believe”
    15 – Auditing Report
    16 -
    17 -
    18 -
    19 -
    20 -
    21 -
    22 – Dieter F. Uchtdort, “Four Titles”
    23 – Sustaining of Church Officers
    24 -
    25 -
    26 -

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 11, 2013 @ 10:29 am

17. #3 is also a song “Don’t forget to pray” formerly known as “Ere You Left your Room This morning” ?

Comment by The Other Clark — April 11, 2013 @ 10:30 am

18. OK, I’ll take a harder one then. #4 is President Uchtdorf in the Young Women’s session the week before – “Your Wonderful Journey Home.” I only knew that as it was fresh on my mind having followed your link on his incredible story of his family’s escape to the West.

Comment by Grant — April 11, 2013 @ 10:37 am

19. 17. We Believe in Being Chaste by Elder Bednar

Comment by Jami — April 11, 2013 @ 10:41 am

20. Hey no fair!! I got it first at #14!!!

Comment by Kerri — April 11, 2013 @ 10:45 am

21. @19– lol you know youth and young adults the world over are gonna change that to “We Believe in Being Chased”…

Comment by Kerri — April 11, 2013 @ 10:46 am

22. Is number 2 Richard G Scott – for Peace at Home? This one was top of mind since I just read Tracy M.’s post over on BCC.

Comment by iguacufalls — April 11, 2013 @ 10:52 am

23. Kerri, I’m sorry — for some reason your comments are being caught in the spam filter, resulting in you and anonlds solving the same puzzle. I’m sorry I didn’t notice that earlier. Take a crack at another one, both of you.

TOClark, Grant, Jami, iguacufalls, you are all correct — and thanks for tackling some the harder ones, too.

1 – Elaine S. Dalton, “We Are Daughters of Our Heavenly Father”
    2 – Richard B. Scott, “For Peace at Home”
    3 – Ere You Left Your Room This Morning
    4 – Dieter F. Uchtdort, “Your Wonderful Journey Home” (Young Women meeting)
    5 – Russell M. Nelson, “Catch the Wave”
    6 -
    7 -
    8 – Benediction, Jean A. Stevens
    9 -
    10 -
    11 -
    12 -
    13 – Nearer My God to Thee
    14 – Jeffrey R. Holland, “Lord, I Believe”
    15 – Auditing Report
    16 -
    17 – David A. Bednar, “We Believe in Being Chaste”
    18 -
    19 -
    20 -
    21 -
    22 – Dieter F. Uchtdort, “Four Titles”
    23 – Sustaining of Church Officers
    24 -
    25 -
    26 -

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 11, 2013 @ 11:15 am

24. 18. “It’s a Miracle” by Elder Andersen

Comment by Jami — April 11, 2013 @ 11:29 am

25. 21. Rosemary Wixom, The Words We Speak. A couple of my kids loved her talk.

Comment by Amy T — April 11, 2013 @ 11:44 am

26. 6. President Monson, “Come, All Ye Sons of God” from the Priesthood session. Which I actually went to this time.

Comment by John L — April 11, 2013 @ 11:47 am

27. Right, right, and right.

1 – Elaine S. Dalton, “We Are Daughters of Our Heavenly Father”
    2 – Richard B. Scott, “For Peace at Home”
    3 – Ere You Left Your Room This Morning
    4 – Dieter F. Uchtdort, “Your Wonderful Journey Home” (Young Women meeting)
    5 – Russell M. Nelson, “Catch the Wave”
    6 – Thomas S. Monson, “Come All Ye Sons of God”
    7 -
    8 – Benediction, Jean A. Stevens
    9 -
    10 -
    11 -
    12 -
    13 – Nearer My God to Thee
    14 – Jeffrey R. Holland, “Lord, I Believe”
    15 – Auditing Report
    16 -
    17 – David A. Bednar, “We Believe in Being Chaste”
    18 – Neil L. Anderson, “It’s a Miracle”
    19 -
    20 -
    21 – Rosemary M. Wixom, “The Words We Speak”
    22 – Dieter F. Uchtdort, “Four Titles”
    23 – Sustaining of Church Officers
    24 -
    25 -
    26 -

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 11, 2013 @ 12:19 pm

28. #9 is Elder Christofferson from the Sunday afternoon session. Great talk.

Comment by lindberg — April 11, 2013 @ 12:29 pm

29. I just checked lds.org — Elder Christofferson’s talk was titled “Redemption.”

Comment by lindberg — April 11, 2013 @ 12:32 pm

30. Number 7 is President Monson’s welcome talk in the Saturday morning session.

Comment by Elaine Thatcher — April 11, 2013 @ 12:37 pm

31. #10 is Russell Ballard, “This is My Work and Glory.”

Comment by Maurine — April 11, 2013 @ 12:49 pm

32. Two more talks identified. 7 *does* come from Saturday morning, and the words are exactly what you would expect from a welcoming talk, but the wordle was actually made from another Saturday morning event. Try again (I’m tricky!)

1 – Elaine S. Dalton, “We Are Daughters of Our Heavenly Father”
    2 – Richard B. Scott, “For Peace at Home”
    3 – Ere You Left Your Room This Morning
    4 – Dieter F. Uchtdort, “Your Wonderful Journey Home” (Young Women meeting)
    5 – Russell M. Nelson, “Catch the Wave”
    6 – Thomas S. Monson, “Come All Ye Sons of God”
    7 -
    8 – Benediction, Jean A. Stevens
    9 – D. Todd Christofferson, “Redemption”
    10 – M. Russell Ballard, “This Is My Work and Glory”
    11 -
    12 -
    13 – Nearer My God to Thee
    14 – Jeffrey R. Holland, “Lord, I Believe”
    15 – Auditing Report
    16 -
    17 – David A. Bednar, “We Believe in Being Chaste”
    18 – Neil L. Anderson, “It’s a Miracle”
    19 -
    20 -
    21 – Rosemary M. Wixom, “The Words We Speak”
    22 – Dieter F. Uchtdort, “Four Titles”
    23 – Sustaining of Church Officers
    24 -
    25 -
    26 -

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 11, 2013 @ 1:09 pm

33. If I’m correct (and I’m pretty sure I am), #7 was NOT on Saturday morning, but during another session. I’ve already guessed, but I thought I’d correct your obviously intentional misdirection. :)

Comment by iguacufalls — April 11, 2013 @ 1:54 pm

34. Thank you, iguacufalls — you’re right! #7 was on Saturday AFTERNOON. Sorry for misleading anybody!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 11, 2013 @ 2:20 pm

35. Oh, I think I figured out one more that wasn’t an easy one, at least for me! Someone that hasn’t guessed needs to guess 25 so I can find out if I’m right.

Comment by Dovie — April 11, 2013 @ 3:57 pm

36. It’s been long enough to give most ‘ninnies a chance to play, so go ahead and offer your second solution, Dovie.

Open season, all. Solve a second and third puzzle if you want to.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 11, 2013 @ 4:20 pm

37. #11 is “These Things I Know” by Elder Packer. ‘Twas the ivy that gave it away!

Comment by Alison — April 11, 2013 @ 4:48 pm

38. #7 is the church statistical report

Comment by iguacufalls — April 11, 2013 @ 4:50 pm

39. it was the only talk that mentioned Manaus, Brazil

Comment by iguacufalls — April 11, 2013 @ 4:51 pm

40. And since you said we could do a third, I’ll say that #12 is Elder Hales, Stand Strong in Holy Places. The word “armor” was my clue, since he talked about the whole armor of God.

Comment by iguacufalls — April 11, 2013 @ 4:58 pm

41. Great progress! And it’s fun to see which keywords you found.

1 – Elaine S. Dalton, “We Are Daughters of Our Heavenly Father”
    2 – Richard B. Scott, “For Peace at Home”
    3 – Ere You Left Your Room This Morning
    4 – Dieter F. Uchtdort, “Your Wonderful Journey Home” (Young Women meeting)
    5 – Russell M. Nelson, “Catch the Wave”
    6 – Thomas S. Monson, “Come All Ye Sons of God”
    7 – Statistical Report
    8 – Benediction, Jean A. Stevens
    9 – D. Todd Christofferson, “Redemption”
    10 – M. Russell Ballard, “This Is My Work and Glory”
    11 – Boyd K. Packer, “These Things I Know”
    12 – Robert D. Hales, “Stand Strong in Holy Places”
    13 – Nearer My God to Thee
    14 – Jeffrey R. Holland, “Lord, I Believe”
    15 – Auditing Report
    16 -
    17 – David A. Bednar, “We Believe in Being Chaste”
    18 – Neil L. Anderson, “It’s a Miracle”
    19 -
    20 -
    21 – Rosemary M. Wixom, “The Words We Speak”
    22 – Dieter F. Uchtdort, “Four Titles”
    23 – Sustaining of Church Officers
    24 -
    25 -
    26 -

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 11, 2013 @ 5:24 pm

42. #16 is “Beautiful Mornings” by Elder Bruce D. Porter.

Comment by lindberg — April 11, 2013 @ 5:38 pm

43. 25. Obedience to Law Is Liberty, Elder L. Tom Perry, Sunday morning. The words war and gift and book were the key, if I am correct.

Comment by Dovie — April 11, 2013 @ 5:49 pm

44. I think #24 is Dallin Oaks “Followers of Christ.”

Comment by Maurine — April 11, 2013 @ 5:51 pm

45. Bingo, bingo, and bingo!

1 – Elaine S. Dalton, “We Are Daughters of Our Heavenly Father”
    2 – Richard B. Scott, “For Peace at Home”
    3 – Ere You Left Your Room This Morning
    4 – Dieter F. Uchtdort, “Your Wonderful Journey Home” (Young Women meeting)
    5 – Russell M. Nelson, “Catch the Wave”
    6 – Thomas S. Monson, “Come All Ye Sons of God”
    7 – Statistical Report
    8 – Benediction, Jean A. Stevens
    9 – D. Todd Christofferson, “Redemption”
    10 – M. Russell Ballard, “This Is My Work and Glory”
    11 – Boyd K. Packer, “These Things I Know”
    12 – Robert D. Hales, “Stand Strong in Holy Places”
    13 – Nearer My God to Thee
    14 – Jeffrey R. Holland, “Lord, I Believe”
    15 – Auditing Report
    16 – Bruce D. Porter, “Beautiful Mornings”
    17 – David A. Bednar, “We Believe in Being Chaste”
    18 – Neil L. Anderson, “It’s a Miracle”
    19 -
    20 -
    21 – Rosemary M. Wixom, “The Words We Speak”
    22 – Dieter F. Uchtdort, “Four Titles”
    23 – Sustaining of Church Officers
    24 – Dallin H. Oaks, “Followers of Christ”
    25 – L. Tom Perry, “Obedience to Law Is Liberty”
    26 -

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 11, 2013 @ 5:54 pm

46. 19 is Elder Cook’s talk “Personal Peace”, I mean, PEACE!

Comment by EmiG — April 11, 2013 @ 5:59 pm

47. Oh! And 20 is President Eyring’s “Come Unto Me” talk on Saturday morning. That was a good one…

Comment by EmiG — April 11, 2013 @ 6:01 pm

48. 26.Text of Carole M. Stevens prayer.

Comment by Dovie — April 11, 2013 @ 6:16 pm

49. The above is a guess because I can’t find the text of it anywhere, I’m just going with the feeling the words in that one evoke and I can’t skip ahead and listen to it out loud right now. Also that feels a little weird, fast forwarding to listen to a prayer for a game. A fantastic game, but still.

Comment by Dovie — April 11, 2013 @ 6:21 pm

50. EmiG, you win with 19 and 20 (hard to overlook that PEACE!)

Dovie,I know what you mean about that funny feeling; it almost kept me from including the first prayer. On the other hand, how could I not? (I had to transcribe that one myself; lds.org doesn’t post the Conference prayers except as part of the overall recording.) 26, though, is another talk rather than the prayer.

I just realized that I’ve never actually played this game — I’ve always had the answers. I’m not sure how well I’d do!

So, 26 is the last puzzle still taunting.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 11, 2013 @ 8:11 pm

51. I’ll take a guess, #26 is Erich W. Kopischke, “Being Accepted of the Lord.”

Comment by Maurine — April 11, 2013 @ 8:26 pm

52. Yup! Elder Kopischke it is.

The full answer key:

1 – Elaine S. Dalton, “We Are Daughters of Our Heavenly Father”
    2 – Richard B. Scott, “For Peace at Home”
    3 – Ere You Left Your Room This Morning
    4 – Dieter F. Uchtdort, “Your Wonderful Journey Home” (Young Women meeting)
    5 – Russell M. Nelson, “Catch the Wave”
    6 – Thomas S. Monson, “Come All Ye Sons of God”
    7 – Statistical Report
    8 – Benediction, Jean A. Stevens
    9 – D. Todd Christofferson, “Redemption”
    10 – M. Russell Ballard, “This Is My Work and Glory”
    11 – Boyd K. Packer, “These Things I Know”
    12 – Robert D. Hales, “Stand Strong in Holy Places”
    13 – Nearer My God to Thee
    14 – Jeffrey R. Holland, “Lord, I Believe”
    15 – Auditing Report
    16 – Bruce D. Porter, “Beautiful Mornings”
    17 – David A. Bednar, “We Believe in Being Chaste”
    18 – Neil L. Anderson, “It’s a Miracle”
    19 – Quentin L. Cook, “Personal Peace: The Reward of Righteousness”
    20 – Henry B. Eyring, “Come Unto Me”
    21 – Rosemary M. Wixom, “The Words We Speak”
    22 – Dieter F. Uchtdort, “Four Titles”
    23 – Sustaining of Church Officers
    24 – Dallin H. Oaks, “Followers of Christ”
    25 – L. Tom Perry, “Obedience to Law Is Liberty”
    26 – Erich W. Kopischke, “Being Accepted of the Lord”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 11, 2013 @ 8:37 pm

53. Are you going to do any more? I confess to being somewhat disappointed not to see a really large DARKNESS in any of the puzzles. :)

Comment by iguacufalls — April 11, 2013 @ 9:05 pm

54. Ooo, I could have done that one with a black background and in a spooky font …

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 11, 2013 @ 9:41 pm

55. How do you make those word things?
    Very good representation btw.

Comment by Sarina — July 19, 2013 @ 11:52 am

56. Sarina, from the original post: “The text of each talk, etc., has been run through the machine at Wordle.net”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — July 19, 2013 @ 11:59 am