Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » A Simple Prayer

A Simple Prayer

By: Ardis E. Parshall - April 06, 2013

“Our beloved Father in heaven. We come before thee at the conclusion of this magnificent opening session of our general conference, and we do so with an expression of our love for thee, and our great gratitude for the gifts thou hast given us, most importantly the gift of thy son Jesus Christ, our savior and redeemer. We are grateful for the restoration of the gospel, and with it the blessings of priesthood power, temple covenants, scriptures, and living apostles and prophets. We are grateful this day for President Thomas S. Monson, our beloved prophet. We pray for him. We support him and love him, as we do his counselors, the members of the Quorum of the Twelve, and all who labor to assist in this great work. We are so very grateful for the inspiring words and messages we’ve received, and the beautiful music that has all contributed to what we have felt this day. And as we come to a close of this session of conference, we pray that thy spirit will abide with us, and that we may take with us an increased faith and hope in Jesus Christ, a more certain witness of his redeeming love and his great atoning sacrifice, and a deeper conversion to living and sharing his gospel. We offer this prayer in humility and in the sacred name of thy son, Jesus the Christ. Amen.”

– Jean A. Stevens, General Conference, 6 April 2013

1. Thank you, Ardis!

Comment by Jared T. — April 6, 2013 @ 1:31 pm

2. Thank you.

Comment by HokieKate — April 6, 2013 @ 2:06 pm

3. This day has been one where tears seem to come in drenching showers, fairly regularly, and this was certainly one of the larger downpours. As I listened, and now read her words, I have a confirmation, (just as I do with a talks that are important to my life) through the power, love, and the palpable presence of the Holy Ghost.

I hope those who did not, or professed not to, care about a woman praying in conference, I won’t try to convince you that it is important. I won’t try to explain my feelings. Explaining spiritual experience are very hard ever when people agree on whether a spiritual experience could or should happen.

Thank you Ardis, I will bookmark this page so that I can come back and capture its beauty.

Comment by Juliathepoet — April 6, 2013 @ 4:27 pm

4. Before this weekend, I heard occasional comments about how having a woman pray in General Conference is really not that big a deal, some from feminists who felt like it was a de minimis change signifying next to nothing. Still, I was excited for the moment, because it was, well, history in the making.

And then, watching this morning’s session and listening to Sister Stevens’ prayer, I was surprised that the thing that actually “got” me wasn’t the history-making aspect of it at all. Listening to Sister Stevens’ prayer, I realized that it just felt so good to hear a woman’s voice, to hear a woman pray. Plus, her prayer was just so beautiful. I felt inspired and uplifted by the spirit of it all. THIS is a small change, yes, but it wasn’t de minimis; this was a small change that was meaningful and profound.

Thanks, Ardis for printing it. And thank you, Sister Stevens, for sharing your beautiful benediction.

Comment by David Y. — April 6, 2013 @ 10:32 pm

5. Thank you for your contribution to the historical record, Ardis. It was a blessing for me to hear a woman’s voice where I’d never heard one before.

Comment by MDearest — April 7, 2013 @ 2:07 am

6. How sweet it was to hear a woman’s voice, heard in prayer, broadcast around the globe!

A day to remember.

Comment by PJD — April 7, 2013 @ 11:46 am

7. Yes, Thank you Ardis

Comment by andrew h — April 10, 2013 @ 12:34 pm

8. 1) “…by small things…”
    2) “The first shall be last and the last shall be first.”

Comment by Stephen Taylor — April 10, 2013 @ 6:06 pm