Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1941 (4)

Latter-day Saint Images, 1941 (4)

By: Ardis E. Parshall - March 28, 2013

Avard Fairbanks Sculpting Bust of Heber J. Grant

LDS Chapel at Basel, Switzerland, Erected 1939-40
First Church-Owned Chapel in the Swiss Mission

South African Mission
Primary

West Glendale, California
Trail Builders

Vermont Ward, South Los Angeles Stake

Great Falls, Montana– Missionary Conference

(front row, left to right:) Ruth Marsden, Naomi Everton, Florence G. Smith, Pres. Nicholas G. Smith, Bernice Tidwell, Peggy Squires
(center:) Donald D. Noel, Glen M. Reeder, L Ross D. Jackson, T. Kirkwood Collins, Boyd Squires, W. Rudger Thornock
(back row:) J. Grant Burk, Grant Gerber, H. Levern Reynolds, Dan L. Petersen, Alma M. Argyle, Jr.,James L. Johnson, Albert G. Everett

Manti (Utah) Center Ward
Ward Welfare Potato Party

Lovell, Wyoming
Deacons

Stockholm, Sweden
Branch MIA Spring Festival

Garvanza, California

Spanish-American Mission
Los Angeles
Mexican Singing Mothers

Oregon
Missionaries

Holladay Ward, Salt Lake City
Improvement Era-sponsored Cooking Class

Hercules Ward, Bacchus Stake (Utah)
Relief Society

Provo 1st Ward
Genealogical Class

(front row, left to right:) Vera Nilson, Julia R. Brown, George A. Brown, Etta Whitehead, Walter P. Whitehead, Douglas T. Page, George T. Jones, Lucile Slaughenhoup, Clyde A. Carter
(second row:) Mrs.— Allen, Arthur H. Johnson, Myrtle Weight, Rosa Ann Jones, Erma Josie, Bertha Weight, Mary Losee, Francis Callahan, Sarah E. Jones, Albert S. Jones
(back row:) Romona Cottam, Eliza White, Sarah Stagg, Nellie Robinson, Mrs.— Allman, Elizabeth Pratt, Thomas Allman, Perry A. Burr, Claude F. Weight, Eugene Tuckett

Cumorah Pageant

Japanese Mission, Hawaii

Adams Ward, Los Angeles Stake

1. Bacchus seems like an odd choice to name a stake after.

Comment by HokieKate — March 28, 2013 @ 7:15 am

2. That picture of Pres. Nicholas G. Smith, he was one of the first five newly called Assistants to the Twelve in 1941, along with Pres. Romney. He was I think a half brother of Pres. George Albert Smith and only served for 4 years.

Comment by Cameron — March 28, 2013 @ 7:23 am

3. Bacchus (and Hercules, where my dad worked when I was born) was an explosives testing facility in the middle of nowhere. It was actually named after an ordinary guy by that name, not the Greek god … But yeah, it IS an unexpected church-unit name!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — March 28, 2013 @ 7:35 am

4. Love the sculpture pic!

I really enjoy these even if I don’t find anyone I know (well, I mean since that one of my father-in-law as a missionary in England at the time of the London Temple dedication).

Comment by Grant — March 28, 2013 @ 9:23 am

5. Thanks again, Ardis, for another great selection of photographs. By the way, that Basel chapel looks especially nice.

Comment by Gary Bergera — March 28, 2013 @ 9:57 am

6. I really like that Basel building. I wonder if they’re still using it.

Comment by Amy T — March 28, 2013 @ 10:59 am

7. I can’t embed a photograph from Google Streetview here, but it appears, Amy T, that the answer is yes. At Google maps, go to Sankt Johanns Platz 8, Basel, Switzerland, and switch to Streetview.

Comment by Mark B. — March 28, 2013 @ 11:57 am

8. From Mark’s instructions. The name of the Church (in German) is on the building. Hooray!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — March 28, 2013 @ 12:05 pm

9. Wonderful! Danke! Now I’ll have to visit Basel. Or perhaps we could hold a Keepa retreat there. : )

Comment by Amy T — March 28, 2013 @ 12:29 pm

10. That won’t work for those of us who listen only to the trumpet that will never call retreat.

Comment by Mark B. — March 28, 2013 @ 2:42 pm

11. The missionaries in Oregon look so old compared to our missionaries going out today. I don’t know if they really were a lot older or maybe the way they dressed makes them appear older.

Comment by Maurine — March 28, 2013 @ 11:40 pm