Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Lorna Call Alder (1906-2013)

Lorna Call Alder (1906-2013)

By: Ardis E. Parshall - March 14, 2013

Although I am not prepared at the moment to say anything beyond her obituary, I draw your attention to the passing of Lorna Call Alder. She takes with her a keen mind and memory that reached back longer than virtually any other Latter-day Saint of our day, and she leaves behind the record of a noble personal life and a legacy that has influenced the Church itself.

Rest in Peace, Sister Alder.

1. Looking forward to whatever hides behind that inscrutable “not prepared at the moment to say.”

Speaking of influence, her younger son was a year ahead of me in school. During my sophomore year of high school, I happened to have a free hour the same time he did. We and a few others hung out in the library most days, but did very little studying, and I began to build up a reservoir of ill will in the librarian that led my being banished from the library for good during my senior year.

But, on the positive side, I did learn the rudiments of playing poker from Br. Alder.

Comment by Mark B. — March 14, 2013 @ 11:38 am

2. A biograpy of Sister Alder’s father , Anson Call was recently published.(The Fourth Wife by Carolyn O’Bagy Davis). I have met the author and she indicated that Sister Call was an important source for the book.

I would recomend the book, highly.

Comment by john willis — March 14, 2013 @ 11:48 am

3. Knowing nothing else about her, just reading her obituary points out that she was a remarkable woman, indeed. A full life, well lived.

Comment by kevinf — March 14, 2013 @ 12:12 pm

4. Ardis,

I added her to the Dictionary of Mormon Biography:

I’ve got some bugs to work out with user registration (let’s just say it’s not working right now) but would love to have you expand the article in the future.

Comment by Tod Robbins — March 14, 2013 @ 12:41 pm

5. Oh, so sorry to hear of her passing! We sure enjoyed learning about her incredible life listening to the Legacy episode on the Mormon Channel – Life of a Century: http://www.mormonchannel.org/legacy/79. What an amazing legacy she has passed on!

Comment by Chocolate on my Cranium — March 14, 2013 @ 12:43 pm

6. What Mark B. said–the first sentence anyway.

Comment by The Other Clark — March 14, 2013 @ 2:04 pm

7. Inasmuch as she was on the General Sunday School board I wonder if she would be mentioned at the next General Conference in notable members of the Church who have passed away? I guess we will see!

Comment by Cameron — March 14, 2013 @ 8:51 pm