Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1929 (4)

Latter-day Saint Images, 1929 (4)

By: Ardis E. Parshall - March 11, 2013

Missionaries, Neiafu, Tonga

Missionaries, Tasmania

Missionaries, London

North Weber Stake, Utah
Junior (MIA) Girls

Union Ward, East Jordan Stake (Utah)
Winners of MIA Orchestra Contest

Missionaries, Honolulu, Hawaii

Beehive Girls of Nebo Stake, Utah
Cast of the Opera “Bohemian Girl”

Missionaries, Georgia

Tyrells Lake, Alberta
Sunday School

Pocatello Stake
Beehive Temple Trip

Baptismal Service in Wales

Missionaries, France

Dayton Ohio Chapel Dedication, 16 September 1929
Dedicated by Orson F. Whitney

Members and Missionaries, 24 July 1929
Opening of the Czechoslovakian Mission

Missionaries of the Mexican Mission

(front row, left to right:) Donald Holley, Marvin J. Bishop, Jesse E. Wood, Paul W. Rowe, Albert Crook, Marlin J. McLaws (second row:) Dorothy Giles, Beatrice Cowley, Thelma Carpenter, Zina Wheeler, Zetta Biggs, Melba Palmer, Carmen Garrison (third row:) L.S. Kartchner, Clyde H. Jeppson, Floyd Turley, Rey L. Pratt (president), Bruce M. Flake, E. Carlyle Bunker, Rulon W. Doman (fourth row:) David M. Haws, Percy D. McArthur, Virgil V. Peterson, Lawrence E. Shaw, Howard Lance, Deile Baldwin

Union City, New Jersey
Sunday School

1. If L.S. Kartchner in that picture from the Mexican Mission is Lafayette Shepherd Kartchner of Snowflake, Arizona, then he’s the brother of Thalia Kartchner, my grandfather’s third wife–whom she always referred to as “my brother Lafe.”

He would have been in his mid 30s and married in that picture. Were married men of that age still being called as missionaries in 1929?

Comment by Mark B. — March 11, 2013 @ 7:31 am

2. Lafayette Shepherd Kartchner? I just saw something the other day about the Kartchner family. What was it?

Oh. I still have it up in Reunion. Prudence Miller married Martin Ray Tanner in Snowflake in 1900. She was the daughter of Ninian Miller, the adopted son of Eminent Woman Ann Crosby Thomas, and Sarah Emma Kartchner.

I assume (without bothering to look) that Sarah would have been Lafe’s aunt.

And, with a name like that, Lafe would have been named after Marcus De Lafayette Shepherd, mayor of Beaver, Utah. (He, however, went by the name of “Fay.”)

Comment by Amy T — March 11, 2013 @ 8:19 am

3. He! I’ve seen other men named Marcus De Lafayette” Whoever, and it was only recently that I realized that Marcus = Marquis.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — March 11, 2013 @ 8:34 am

4. Mark, yes, that was still the era of married men as missionaries.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — March 11, 2013 @ 8:35 am

5. My daughter things that One Direction is on the back row if the Mexican Mission picture.

I see Rey L. Pratt who is a hero in Argentina mission history.

Comment by Carol — March 11, 2013 @ 9:05 am

6. *thinks

Comment by Carol — March 11, 2013 @ 9:09 am

7. It looks like John Widtsoe was busy–attending a mission conference in France, then helping to open Czechoslovakia. Ardis, any idea what “Bohemian Girl” was about?

Comment by Gary Bergera — March 11, 2013 @ 9:38 am

8. Operas in MIA and operettas in Primary were standard annual events in that era, as regular as roadshows and Gold and Green Balls and scout camp. What a different world it was!

Rey L. Pratt had helped to open the South American Mission (with headquarters in Buenos Aires) only three years before this picture was made, Carol — nice to think he was remembered so long afterward as your mission years.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — March 11, 2013 @ 9:43 am

9. Anybody know anything about that Dayton, Ohio Chapel? It’s surprised me to see such a beautiful (and large?) chapel in a place I would have assumed wouldn’t have supported such. Is it still around? (Nothing close to its age in that area comes up on the chapel locator tool at lds.org.)

Comment by David Y. — March 11, 2013 @ 9:50 am

10. I hope someone who does know will comment, David. My first hunch is that the local congregation bought an existing church building vacated by some Protestant sect moving on to newer and larger quarters. It just seems incredible to me that a presumably smaller congregation so far from the Mormon heartland could have afforded to build a new building with so much art glass.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — March 11, 2013 @ 10:13 am

11. David, I lived in Dayton for several years a few years back and I am not aware of any such beautiful LDS chapels, although I can’t say definitively. I am not surprised by its existence back in the 1920s in Dayton, however. Dayton has so many gorgeous buildings, homes, and parks from its moneyed heyday.

Comment by Gina — March 11, 2013 @ 11:10 am

12. No one has commented yet on the scandalously exposed shoulders of the YW in North Weber?

Rey L. Pratt is still fondly remembered in Mexico, too. When I served there in the mid ’90s, many congregations still used the 1948-edition hymnal, which frequently listed him as the translator.

Comment by The Other Clark — March 11, 2013 @ 1:04 pm

13. I like the occasional bow ties on the missionaries. “Bow ties are cool!”

Comment by Grant — March 11, 2013 @ 2:05 pm

14. Thanks, Gina.

Comment by David Y. — March 11, 2013 @ 5:05 pm

15. Re: Pocatello Beehives. How old would the girls in that picture be? I know that now Beehives are 12-13, but that name has not always been used for that age group. It seems like my experience was with Gaynotes and MerriMiss, or something like that.

Would it be an imposition for you to research the origins or progression of names for the Young Women’s age groups?

Comment by charlene — March 11, 2013 @ 6:05 pm

16. charlene, I’m not sure whether the 14-year-olds were still Beehives in 1929 or not — good question. It would be fairly easy to research and come up with a table of class names and ages, and the dates they changed. Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — March 11, 2013 @ 6:14 pm