Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » See If You Can Find Them

See If You Can Find Them

By: Ardis E. Parshall - March 01, 2013

From the Children’s Friend, July 1945 –

“Joan, Fred and Terry are spending the afternoon with old Mrs. Jacobs, while their mother is downtown. They like to visit Mrs. Jacobs, for she always has an interesting story to tell them. Today she is recalling when the Indians used to live very close around her old home, and her father always kept a gun on hand, for protection. Her parents crossed the plains in a covered wagon and had many unusual adventures on the way. In the picture, see if you can find a covered wagon, an Indian, an ox, a horse, an axe, and a rifle.”– Mary De La Mare

(Psst! Tell us which ones you find, but don’t point out exactly where they are until others have had a chance.)

1. These were always my favorites in the Children’s Friend! I see the ax, rifle and covered wagon.

Comment by Carol — March 1, 2013 @ 8:55 am

2. Wagon, rifle, ax, indian, horse, and I just found the ox!

Comment by HokieKate — March 1, 2013 @ 8:59 am

3. I can’t see any of them as my mobile phone (android) won’ display the picture!

Comment by kevinf — March 1, 2013 @ 9:06 am

4. Android: The Official Do-Not-Buy Keepa Dis-endorsement.

This is an experiment. If there’s any enthusiasm — and these first comments seem to suggest there is — I’ll post more of these from time to time. Let’s unleash the inner Keepa’child!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — March 1, 2013 @ 9:10 am

5. An interesting presumption that a child would know what a horse and an ox looked like enough to recognize these stylized versions. It was a different, much more rural, day.

Comment by Coffinberry — March 1, 2013 @ 9:41 am

6. My over-achiever self had to find them all before looking at the comments. I like the lead-in story to the picture. It makes more sense to look for the items because it has to do with the stories that Mrs. Jacobs tells the children – who even have names. In children’s magazines now it is just look for this list.

Comment by mahana — March 1, 2013 @ 9:57 am

7. That’s a little tricky compared to the ones in the current Friend. My five-year-old found the rifle, but had to have some hints to find the others. I just realized that he’s probably not familiar with the iconography. If you don’t know what an ox and a covered wagon look like, it’ll take awhile to figure them out, especially after a tiring morning at kindergarten.

Comment by Amy T — March 1, 2013 @ 10:08 am

8. …and I see that I am confirming what Coffinberry said earlier about recognizing the items. (Need to remember the screen refresh…)

Comment by Amy T — March 1, 2013 @ 10:10 am

9. It took a while for me to find the Indian, but the others weren’t too very hard.

Comment by Bruce Crow — March 1, 2013 @ 10:37 am

10. Thanks for the memories! I always loved these.

Comment by Marilyn O. — March 1, 2013 @ 10:42 am

11. I would be easier if I were to pick up my monitor and turn it upside down.

Although the ax reminds me of a story of a pianist who was playing a concerto somewhere in Asia, and one of the legs on the piano broke. Which made it difficult to keep playing. But he kept on, with the piano rocking back and forth, until the first break, and then went off stage and came back with a fire ax. They thought he might use it to prop up the piano, but instead he took out all his frustration on the poor piano.

Now that’s classical music!

Comment by Mark B. — March 1, 2013 @ 10:54 am

12. Maybe just the head of an ox?

Comment by The Other Clark — March 1, 2013 @ 11:57 am

13. Finally I can see the picture, and see all the items. The Indian was the hardest for me. And don’t dis my Android phone, or my android tablet (Nook). If I hadn’t had them with me this morning, I wouldn’t have known I was missing something in the first place!

Comment by kevinf — March 1, 2013 @ 12:42 pm

14. Oh, okay, kevinf! Next puzzle should have an Android hidden in the cauliflower or something!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — March 1, 2013 @ 12:50 pm

15. For kevinf.

Comment by Carol — March 1, 2013 @ 3:18 pm

16. Just checked in. I found all of the items. I remember loving to do these puzzles when I was “young,”

Comment by Maurine — March 1, 2013 @ 9:23 pm