Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1941 (3)

Latter-day Saint Images, 1941 (3)

By: Ardis E. Parshall - February 13, 2013

Sunday School

Pioneer Day Parade, Salt Lake City
Relief Society Float

North Logan Ward
Home built by them for High Priest Group Member

Saskatchewan District Missionaries

(front row, left to right:) Haskell V. Stradling, F.A. Nelson, Edith Richards, George F. Richards, Jr., Hilda Mae Stutzman, Dennis I. Stutzman
(center row:) Howard H. Carter, William J. Craig, G. Gordon Whyte, Burnard Dawe, Albert Rueckert, Kay Thornock
(back row:) Freeman Stewart, Arnold P. Maughan, John K. Russell, Keith D. Miller, James V. Terry

San Pedro, Mexico

Yalecrest Ward (Salt Lake City)
Children’s Chorus

Homestead, California
Primary

LeGrande Ward (Salt Lake City)
Primary Parade

Kehaka, Hawaii
Primary

1. Vale, Oregon! We’re getting closer . . .

Comment by Grant — February 13, 2013 @ 7:00 am

2. Ardis, Would you guess that the boys in Pocatello’s Second Ward were all wearing bandaloes? Also, I’ll bet most of the children in Yalecrest’s chorus are still with us.

Comment by Gary Bergera — February 13, 2013 @ 9:16 am

3. Yup, Gary, those are bandlos — do you still have yours?

This post was written before you started reading Keepa — you might like it.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 13, 2013 @ 9:29 am

4. Good ol’ LeGrande Ward! My grandmother grew up in it, as did my father though 1941 was in between their childhoods. I also was in LeGrande Ward as a child. Too bad it is no longer a ward having been changed last year, I think? My grandmother is 90 years old and still lives in the house she grew up in.

Comment by Chocolate on my Cranium — February 13, 2013 @ 9:36 am

5. Primary trip to the temple for baptisms? Were children under 12 allowed to serve as proxies for baptisms back then? Is this something I should have known?

Comment by Mark B. — February 13, 2013 @ 10:14 am

6. Ardis, Thanks for the link. Yes, photographs like these (bandalos included) function for me much like Proust’s madeleine–they’re fully operating time machines.

Comment by Gary Bergera — February 13, 2013 @ 10:14 am

7. The Pocatello boys are not only wearing bandelos, but also uniform hats, as well as white pants and shirts. I wonder if this was the result of some suggestion from SLC or the efforts of a local leader.

I checked Wikipedia re “Garvanza” and found that it is considered the birthplace of the arts and crafts movement in Southern California. The Judson stained glass studio was located in that area of Los Angeles. The ward house does have an arts and crafts look to it. It would be nice to know what it looked like in the 30’s and 40’s. Googling produces a photo from the 70’s, which does not look like the same building to me.

Comment by Stephen Taylor — February 13, 2013 @ 11:03 am

8. Glendale and the Garvanza ward are not that far apart, I served 9 months of my mission in Glendale and loved every minute of it. Neat to see missionaries out in Saskatchewan!

Comment by Cameron — February 13, 2013 @ 11:30 am

9. Uh oh, Gary, you’re showing your age by noticing the bandlos…

Comment by Kevin Barney — February 13, 2013 @ 11:35 am

10. Mark, my mother was baptized in the St. George temple when she was eight, then baptized for 30 people before she left the font. She said that they often did it after age eight.

Comment by Carol — February 13, 2013 @ 11:39 am

11. Kevin (@9), More than noticing. Wondering where I put it …

Comment by Gary Bergera — February 13, 2013 @ 12:29 pm

12. I think we should try to set a record for the highest number of different spellings of bandalleaux.

Comment by Mark B. — February 13, 2013 @ 1:44 pm

13. My husband, Gary, has his bandalo, and I have mine.

Comment by Maurine — February 15, 2013 @ 2:34 am

14. My Dad spent some time in Saskatchewan on his mission from 1941-1943. It must have been a period of time after this, though I do see one of his companions in the photo. This was part of the North Central States Mission headquartered in Minneapolis. I love these old photos!

Comment by Julie — February 15, 2013 @ 10:20 am

15. I’m not sure which I like more, Julie — that you found a personally relevant picture, or that you actually know the names of your father’s mission companions! Either way is cool.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 15, 2013 @ 10:45 am

16. Julie-I live in the old boundaries of the North Central States mission right next door to Sask. Your father would be very proud of the growth of the Church in Saskatchewan! 2 stakes and a Temple!

Comment by Cameron — February 15, 2013 @ 11:04 am

17. Hi! What wonderful photos! I found this blog by Googling Vale, Oregon History… my parents moved to Vale when they were married in January of 1939, and I’m so curious to see if they are in the photo of the Vale Sunday School…but I can’t enlarge the photo. Is there any way for me to get a better copy of this photo?
    Thanks,
    Stefanie

Comment by stefanie — November 4, 2013 @ 2:30 pm

18. Stefanie, the pictures in this post were scanned from miniscule half-tone images in old magazines printed on cheap paper — there’s nothing that can improve the quality under those conditions, or make faces recognizable.

You can right-click on the photo and “save image as” to your desktop, where you can play around with it to see what you can do. Somewhere in your computer there’s a basic photo viewing program that will let you enlarge it … but don’t get your hopes up.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 4, 2013 @ 2:57 pm