Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » “My Code”: The Gaynote, Firelight, Merrihand Song

“My Code”: The Gaynote, Firelight, Merrihand Song

By: Ardis E. Parshall - January 31, 2013

There has been some demand in the past few months via comments added to the old Bandlo post for the the girls’ Primary class song from the 1960s. I finally remembered to look it up – I must have sung it when I was in Primary, but I don’t remember it at all:

To make them visible to search engines, the words are:

My Code

Words by Mabel Gabbott;
Music by Faye Glover Petersen

The first thing in the morning and all day long
I shall be a Gaynote and sing a happy song;
I shall greet the new day and all it brings
With a cheerful face and a heart that sings.

Like blossoms in the springtime and firelight bright,
I shall fill the home with radiance and light;
Giving joy to others in all I do
I shall be a Firelight the whole day through.

Like sunshine lifting shadows throughout the land
I will serve with gladness and be a Merrihand;
I will give full measure of love each day;
When my hands are willing my heart is gay.

1. Thank you so much! It’s great to finally have it in it’s correct and original form. You wouldn’t happen to know anything about the Pilot song? What I remember is :

In my plane I’ll fly today.
    Zoom I am a pilot.
    My right-way compass shows the way.
    Zoom I am a pilot.

All day long I’ll fly, fly, fly.
    I can , I will, if I but try.
    Zoom, zoom, zoom.

Comment by Teri Snedegar — January 31, 2013 @ 4:00 pm

2. I remember my sisters singing that song–at least the first verse. Of course, if they were acting crabby, we’d sing it back at them and change the words of the second line to “I shall be a crabber and sing my crabby song.”

As you might expect, that would cause them to stop crabbing immediately and start smiling and being happy again.

Comment by Mark B. — January 31, 2013 @ 4:21 pm

3. Many, many thanks!! You get the gold star for the year. I can’t tell you how much I have been trying to rack my brain in remembering the last two lines of the Merrihand song and I would never have come up with them. Now I can focus on something else. You are fantastic!

Comment by Terri Potts — January 31, 2013 @ 6:50 pm

4. Hurray! We have been trying to find the complete, correct words to this. Thank You!

Comment by Julie Hansmann — January 31, 2013 @ 10:37 pm

5. :)

If I had realized how easy it would be to make so many people so happy, I’d have done this long ago!

Teri, I’ll see what I can do about your Pilot song.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 1, 2013 @ 6:55 am

6. Thank You! Trying to remember this has driven us crazy lately. My sister and I appreciate you posting this. :)

Comment by Nola G — February 1, 2013 @ 7:49 am

7. Ardis comes through. Again. As Usual. Thanks for all you do in the name of Mormon History.

Comment by Rachelle — February 1, 2013 @ 8:05 am

8. Teri, click for the Pilot Song.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 2, 2013 @ 3:56 pm

9. I just discovered your blog and I’m thrilled! So much great stuff! Wow! For a week I’ve been trying to remember (don’t ask me why) how the “Firelight” verse began–I remember this song well from my primary days. As an added bonus, I found your discussion of primary bandelos–just this week my sister-in-law and I were trying to remember what the various items and jewels represented. Thank you, thank you! I’ve just signed up as a permanent fan.

Comment by Marilyn Olson — February 6, 2013 @ 8:33 am

10. Thanks so much for putting this up. As I was out walking this morning, a small snatch of the song and code came back to me and I was trying to remember it. Sigh ~ good times.

Comment by Laura Hickman — September 13, 2013 @ 12:30 pm