Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Without Purse or Scrip in Texas: 21 February – 15 March 1902

Without Purse or Scrip in Texas: 21 February – 15 March 1902

By: Ardis E. Parshall - January 27, 2013

(Previous installment)

Friday February 21, 1902

I arose feeling very good. Ate a hearty breakfast. Spent the day about the house getting the genealogy of my relatives. Noon came. Ate a nice dinner. After supper we talked until 9 p.m. when we retired to rest again.

Saturday, February 22, 1902

Soon after breakfast and the work was done, Uncle Decker hitched on to the buggy and Aunt Nancy and myself drove to Verdon and called on another cousin, Lide Simpson. While there we had a nice time and a good dinner. At 1:15 p.m. I bid them goodby. Uncle George G. Howland took me to the depot in the buggy, and I took the train for Falls City, 25c. Arrived there all okay. Walked up to Uncle Robert’s and found the folks well and glad to see me. During the forenoon Nettie and I took a walk uptown for a while. Returning, we ate supper and, in a short time, Miss Morgan, Miss Graves, and Mr. Morgan came in and spent the evening with us. The girls sang and played on the piano. I also talked to them on the ways of our country. After they left Nettie and I talked on the gospel until nearly 11 p.m. Retired to rest.

Sunday, February 23, 1902

After breakfast we prepared and went to the Methodist Church and listened to the pastor for about 40 minutes. Returning home again, Mr. Morgan came over and wanted me to go over and take dinner with them, but the folks would not let me go. After dinner, I helped Nettie wash up the dishes and we then went over to Mr. Morgan’s and spent the afternoon with the young people. Mr. Morgan took me over town and showed me the sights. Returning home again, we ate a cold lunch and spent the evening at home talking upon different subjects.

Monday, February 24, 1902

We arose quite early as I was expecting to catch the morning train at 8 a.m. Soon after breakfast, I went over and bid the Morgan folks goodby. Returning, bid Uncle Robert and his family goodby. Got into the buggy with Mr. Morgan and he drove me to the depot. Bought a ticket to Weston, Mo., $1.45. Took the train at 8:15 a.m. and stopped in St. Joe for a few moments. Arrived at Weston at 11:15. Walked out to Aunt Tealitha Wells, about a half a mile. She was glad to see me. About 4 p.m. we ate dinner and supper. After they had finished all of their work we sat down in the parlor and talked on the gospel until nearly 10 p.m. and then retired. I slept in a nice warm room where there was a nice fire. Rested well.

Tuesday, February 25, 1902

I arose feeling very well. After breakfast I went into the parlor where I remained all forenoon writing letters home and to the office, also got some of the names of the family. After dinner I walked up the road a half mile and met Aunt Susan Evans. Spent the remainder of the day and night with them. After supper I went upstairs with Mr. G.W. Evans and in his room we spent the evening in conversation, mostly on the gospel. At 9 p.m. we retired. I had a room to myself. Rested good.

Wednesday, February 26, 1902

Soon after breakfast Mrs. Evans was coming to town in the buggy so I concluded to come with her and go to Kansas City. Took the train at 9:20 a.m. for 50c. Came back to the Union depot on the street car and bought a ticket for Carrollton, 99c. Arriving there at 7:20 p.m. Took a street car uptown and as luck would have it, I found cousin Mary E. Jarboe’s house without any trouble. She had me a nice supper prepared and then we talked until 10 p.m. when we retired to rest.

Thursday, February 27, 1902

It was late when I arose. After breakfast her married son came in and after a short conversation I walked uptown with him. Visited their roller mill and remained with them until noon when we returned to the house for dinner. It began raining in the night and continued all day. I spent the afternoon with Aunt Mary Eliza conversing upon the gospel. Found it very hard to show her anything as she was so tangled up in Christian Science.

Friday, February 28, 1902

Rested well during the night. Spent the forenoon at home talking with cousin Mary E. After dinner I walked over the town. Came back by the mill where I talked for a while. Returning home, I engaged in a gospel conversation with cousin Mary again. Also presented her with a Book of Mormon and Durrant’s book. There was to be a show in town so after supper her son and myself took it in. Was very good. He paid my ticket, 50c.

Saturday March 1, 1902

March came in like a lion. The wind was blowing. It was awful cloudy and once in a while it would snow for a while. I spent the forenoon at the house talking most of the time. After dinner I made preparations to go. Went up to the mill and bid the folks goodby. Came back to the house where I remained until 4 p.m. and then I bid cousin Mary goodby. She and all of them expressed themselves as being glad that I had called to see them and wanted me to stay longer. At 4:30 I took the Santa Fe for Kansas City, 90c. Arriving there about 7:30 p.m. Took a street car uptown to 1421 Locust Street, where I met the President and elders. Feeling well. Talked with them until 9:30 when we retired. I had a bed to myself.

Sunday, March 2, 1902

The first I did was to take a good bath and get ready for the Sabbath. Elders Bennett and Howard and Sisters Carling and Giles were going out to Independence to hold meeting with the Saints. So I concluded to go with them. Took the street car. Got there in time to hear the Josephites preach and it was awful. We then walked over the Temple block and down to Bro. Andrew Hime’s, where we spent the day. At 2 p.m. we met with them in Sunday School for an hour. After a short intermission, we held a fast meeting in which all present bore their testimonies. Had a pleasant time. We then ate supper and at 7:30 p.m. commenced meeting again. I was asked to speak, which I did. Talked on the necessity of inspired men for 40 minutes. Sister Carling then spoke for a few moments, also Elder Howard. Had an enjoyable time At 11:30 we retired to rest. I slept with Elder Bennett.

Monday, March 3, 1902

Soon after breakfast we took the street car and came back to Kansas City and to my surprise I met Elder Huntsman ready to start home. As I was through visiting my relatives, we made preparations to leave for Zion on the 6:30 p.m. train. During the day we visited the public library and Swift’s packing house. We went through all the departments and saw the hogs and cattle from the time they were killed until they were packed up ready for shipping. Returning to the office, we got us a lunch put up and at 5 p.m. bid the elders goodby. Took a street car for the Union depot and at 6:30 p.m. we started for the West, feeling thankful that we had been blessed with the privilege of filling a 28-month mission. We were on the train all night.

Tuesday, March 4, 1902

When daylight came, we were sailing over the plains of western Kansas. At 12:30 p.m. we arrived at Pueblo just in time to catch No. 1 train going over the Rio Grande Western. It was so crowded we could not get a seat together until nearly night and we had to go up in the smoker to find a place at all. Remained there until about night when I managed to get a seat in the coach. Did not rest very well during the night as the seats were straight backs.

Wednesday, March 5, 1902

When morning came, we were away up on top of the mountains and had started down towards the valley. At 11 a.m. we arrived at Provo City. I got off. Took a hack to Josephine’s place, 25c. Arriving there she was very glad to see me. Spent the afternoon with her.

Thursday, March 6, 1902

I remained home most of the day talking with the folks. At 12:30 David came home from his work at the asylum.

Friday March 7, 1902

Soon after breakfast, Josephine and myself walked up to Aunt Caroline’s, where we spent the day. Had a pleasant time. At 8 p.m. we went to a dance and supper given by one of the lodges. While there I got into a conversation with one of the members and very near ran him up a tree.

Saturday, March 8, 1902

While at Kansas City Miss Giles requested me to visit her parents in Provo, so I went and called on them for a while. They were glad to see me and, as I went to leave, I was given an invitation to return sometime when their daughter was at home. I then went down where Ed Cox and other Bunkerville students were boarding and spent the remainder of the day with them. Came back home for the night.

Sunday, March 9, 1902

Sunday School time came. David and myself went to the BY Academy and attended Sunday school. Came home for dinner. David was not feeling well, so I went alone to the Tabernacle and attended meeting. Was quite a treat to hear a good choir once more. After closing, Albert Bunker came home with me. After supper we went to the Academy and listened to Prof. Mills of the L.D.S. College lecture on the Book of Mormon, was very interesting.

Monday, March 10, 1902

About 10 a.m. I walked uptown to the dentist and had one tooth filled. Cost 75c. The first time I had ever had anybody work in my mouth. I then went down to Aunt Caroline’s where I spent the day and night with her, talking upon different things.

Tuesday, March 11, 1902

After breakfast I bid Aunt Caroline goodby. Went down to the depot and found when my train left. Came back to Josephine’s. Ate dinner and then had Bro. Martin come in and he gave me a patriarchal blessing. I then went up and visited through the Academy. Came back and spent the evening with the folks.

Wednesday, March 12, 1902

The day had come for me to leave, so about 10 a.m. Josephine got ready and went to the depot with me. On the way she made me a present of a pair of cuff buttons, worth $1.25. At 11:10 I took the train for the City of Salt Lake. On the way up there, I met or saw a young man that I thought was a Mormon elder, so I made myself known to him. And he was just returning from a mission. So he and I spent the day together. Arriving at the City, we took a car uptown. Got us a room. Left our grips. Ate dinner, and then called at the Historian’s Office and reported. Then we went over to the President’s office, where we met Bro Reynolds. He made arrangements for our tickets. As I did not have money enough, I was given $5.00 to pay my fare. We then reported at the Deseret News office and wandered about the city for a while and returned to our room and ate supper. Then we went to the Salt Lake Theatre. Returned at 11 p.m.

Thursday, March 13, 1902

It was nearly 9 a.m. Before I arose. Ate breakfast, and then went uptown to Johnson’s Photograph Gallery, where I met Annie Perkins. Talked with her until 12 p.m. Bid her goodby and went to dinner. During the afternoon I walked over the city viewing the sights. Came to my room and made preparations to leave on the 7:05 train. It began snowing at 5 p.m. and continued all night. Took a street car for the Oregon Shortline depot. At 7:15 began sailing south toward the Muddy. Rode all night.

Friday, March 14, 1902

When daylight came, we were out on the desert south of Milford, traveling along very slow. At 12:40 p.m. we arrived at Caliente. I walked up to Dick Langford’s, where I made myself known, and spent the remainder of the day with them. Had a good time with the baby.

Saturday, March 15, 1902

I spent the forenoon about the place talking with the folks, and at 1:30 p.m. took the stage with Bert Angel for home. Rode with him until 1 a.m. in the night when we arrived at the pockets. There I changed and came on the rest of the way with Thomas Johnson, Jr. Before leaving, we ate supper. Took breakfast at Dave Huntsman’s, and at 3 p.m. Sunday, we arrived home.

Everybody was in meeting, but most of my folks and several friends came out as soon as we arrived. Spent the rest of the day shaking hands with people as they would come in to welcome me home. The fore part of the week I spent laying around home. Wednesday night a reception party was given me, and I had an enjoyable time with the young people once more. Sunday we had lady missionaries. They gave us some very good instructions. I made a trip over to Bunkerville and saw the folks and also had a good time with the girls. Returning, I remained around home working a little, getting used to hard knocks. After another week had passed, Crayton and myself made a quick trip over to Bunkerville again and attended a party given by the M.I.A. Had a good time. During the month of April, I put my time in about home, working at different jobs, attending to meetings, dances, and having a good time with the young people. The month of May entered nice and pleasant. The first day was spent very enjoyably. In the forenoon a program was given by the Sunday school children. In the afternoon foot races and dancing for the children, and at night a dance for the grown people.

(End of the Mission Journal of Willard Larsen Jones)



  1. The end? That’s the end? It’s become such a habit to read Elder Jones’s diary on a Sunday. I suppose he had to return to Nevada sometime, but too bad for us!

    Comment by Amy T — January 27, 2013 @ 10:05 am

  2. Fear not! :)

    We’ll get to know another missionary beginning next week, one very different, whose assignment couldn’t be further from the Texas hills.

    Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 27, 2013 @ 10:19 am

  3. This was very interesting to read. The details were grea. Thanks.

    Comment by Carol — January 27, 2013 @ 12:52 pm

  4. This has been a great project. Thanks for doing it. I look forward to whatever you’ll be giving us next.

    Comment by Edje Jeter — January 27, 2013 @ 9:13 pm

  5. An honorable end to an honorable mission. Do we know anything regarding the rest if his life?

    Comment by Chad Too — January 27, 2013 @ 9:27 pm

  6. It is sad to say goodby to Elder Jones. He seems like family to me. I would be interested in what happened to him after the mission also.

    Comment by Jeff Johnson — January 27, 2013 @ 10:54 pm

  7. This has been terrific! I’m going to miss him.

    Comment by Mark B. — January 28, 2013 @ 6:06 am

  8. Farewell, Elder Jones!

    Comment by Matt — January 30, 2013 @ 9:49 am

Leave a comment

RSS feed for comments on this post.
TrackBack URI