Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » John Taylor

John Taylor

By: Ardis E. Parshall - January 17, 2013

From the Children’s Friend, 1945 —

1. This seems like it would be a good idea today.

Comment by Aaron R. — January 17, 2013 @ 3:22 pm

2. I wonder if there would be any significant differences, if these cartoons had been done today.

Comment by Niklas — January 18, 2013 @ 12:39 am

3. Aaron, do you mean the motto “The Kingdom of God or Nothing”? I like that.

Interesting thought, Niklas. What is John Taylor remembered for today that isn’t in this graphic, or what is in this graphic that would seem too unimportant to speak to today’s audience? My first thought is that the bits about his mission, his published defenses of the Church, and his presence at Carthage would certainly be reproduced today, but that his connection to sawmills in Utah would not be — the first half of the 20th century saw a great emphasis on the temporal business of creating an “intermountain empire” that we have left behind today for an emphasis on building the kingdom throughout the world. What’s missing? Perhaps something representing his defense of plural marriage and his death while on the Underground? My sense is that most of us think of that when John Taylor’s name is mentioned — but would we include that in a graphic intended for children?

What ideas do you have?

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 18, 2013 @ 1:42 am

4. Ardis, although I do like the motto, I actually just meant that these are quite a nice idea. I think that I could use this with my kids; it would be a nice set of FHE lessons (if we had them all) and I sure they would fit in with primary too. Plus, they have the advantage of being easily translated and shipped all over the world. It just seems like a nice way for kids to meet the leaders of our church.

Comment by Aaron R. — January 18, 2013 @ 2:59 am

5. Hiding in the Underground is something people indeed do think, but I guess it really isn’t something to include in a kids’ cartoon. Sawmills were news to me. This is actually pretty much what I would expect and so were mostly the others too.

Snow would probably have reference to “windows of heaven” (although I’m glad that the emphasis on thiting was there without that reference).

JS sounds pretty correlated, especially the frace “missions were established in foreign lands” make it sound like the church was worldwide already then. “BoM is the record of forefathers of American Indians” would get edited today.

Comment by Niklas — January 18, 2013 @ 3:16 am

6. Oh! I agree, Aaron. Well, we have them through George Albert Smith. I wonder if kids might not like to complete the set — if you gave a lesson on David O. McKay, being careful to include points that would be easily illustrated, and maybe had looked up some photos online and printed them out for the kids to use … Now you have ME thinking.

Thanks, Niklas.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 18, 2013 @ 7:15 am

7. no never. No Never! NO NEVER!!!
    (not suitable for children)

Comment by The Other Clark — January 18, 2013 @ 10:21 am

8. Niklas, by the time Joseph Smith died in 1844, there were (or had been) missionaries in Canada, England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Australia, the Netherlands, Germany, Turkey, and Israel/Palestine. By the time the first ordained elder arrived in Australia in 1840 and baptized the first Australian convert, a future president of the Australian Mission, it would be hard to make a case that the Church wasn’t a worldwide church.

Comment by Amy T — January 18, 2013 @ 11:37 am