Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » “Men and Women of Faith”: Church History Library Lecture Series, 2013

“Men and Women of Faith”: Church History Library Lecture Series, 2013

By: Ardis E. Parshall - January 15, 2013

The Church History Library announces its Lecture Series for 2013. Lectures are held in the Assembly Hall on Temple Square, at 7:00 p.m. (with parking available in the Conference Center underground lot – ask for a parking token from the lot attendant as you drive in).

Dates, topics, and speakers are:

14 February 2013
“Erastus Snow, Faithful Servant”
by Elder Steven E. Snow, Church Historian and Recorder

14 March 2013
“Faith of Latter-day Sisters: A Personal Perspective”
by Julie B. Beck, former Relief Society general president

11 April 2013
“Bruce R. McConkie: A Special Witness”
by Joseph Fielding McConkie

9 May 2013
“Julia and Emily Hill: Sisters in Zion”
by Debbie J. Christensen

13 June 2013
“My Mother Was Always Praying: Latter-day Saint Women in East Germany during World War II”
by Jay A. Parry

11 July 2013
“Iosepa: Utah’s Pacific Islander Pioneers through an Archaeologist’s Eyes”
by Benjamin Pykles

8 August 2013
“Amy Brown Lyman’s Mission in Europe: Ministering to the Saints amid the Gathering Storm
by David Hall

12 September 2013
“Bread, Water, Oil and Cloth: Religious Objects, Mormon Women, and Ritual
by Kris Wright

17 October 2013
“Bathsheba W. Smith: Woman of Great Faith”
by Heidi S. Swinton

14 November 2013
“Faith to Persevere: The Southern States Mission, 1875-1898”
by Heather Seferovich

The Church History Library has prepared a trifold brochure with abstracts of each lecture – pick it up on your next visit to the Library.  (I know, I know … one more perk available to Salt Lakers that is denied to the rest of the world. But past lectures have been recorded and eventually posted on the Internet, so I presume that is the plan for the 2013 series as well.)

1. Kris Wright’s presentation sounds fascinating and I would be interested to hear Elder Snow – would this be his first public presentation since being called?

Comment by Aaron R. — January 15, 2013 @ 12:22 pm

2. How nice to see that Elder Snow is jumping in, feet first, and what better topic than the beloved apostle Erastus Snow. I wish I could attend some of these, particularly the East Germany one, the lecture by Kris Wright, and Heather Seferovich on the Southern States Mission.

Wouldn’t a webcast of this series be just the thing???

Comment by Amy T — January 15, 2013 @ 12:46 pm

3. I’ve spoken with someone at the Library who assures me that this year’s lectures will be recorded and, if all goes as expected, posted on teh interwebz about two weeks following their delivery.

Aaron, I know Elder Snow has given several internal presentations, but I’m not sure whether or not he has spoken publicly. Certainly this will be a great chance for the public to meet him in a way that is a little less formal than General Conference, with, as Amy T mentions, a topic he’s sure to speak warmly about.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 15, 2013 @ 1:28 pm

4. Didn’t David Hall speak in Calgary last summer on that same topic? I’ll have to pull out my notes. It was an interesting presentation then, and my memory is patchy enough I could probably listen again and think it was all new!

Comment by Mark B. — January 15, 2013 @ 1:45 pm

5. I do hope video of the lectures gets posted online. Joseph Fielding McConkie is a fascinating speaker and can I just add that he was the only speaker at the sacrament meeting at which my son was given a name and a blessing, and included him in his talk. That is all.

Comment by Alison — January 15, 2013 @ 3:55 pm

6. Ardis, have you been able to hear any of those internal presentations? It would be great hear anything you feel it would be appropriate to share.

Comment by Aaron R. — January 16, 2013 @ 2:34 am

7. How do I view this online?

Comment by Kevin Marler — January 26, 2013 @ 6:01 am

8. Kevin, after each lecture (usually within a week or two), the Library posts a link on its website to the recorded broadcast. I’ll add the link to my sidebar, and it will no doubt be posted on some of the other Mormon blogs as well.

As of now, there are no plans for the lectures to be watchable in a livestream.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 26, 2013 @ 6:05 am

9. To Ardis E. Parshall or anyone who can help me and others-I have not been able to find the “link you describe in comment 8.I called the FamilyHistory Library, but knowone on the phone seemed to even know about the series. I hope you will follow through with the link in your sidebar, but could you also give me the link to the Library’s website where you say they have published it? I would love to hear the past speakers. I have searched for it, but not able to find it. No reference seems to be available on FamilySearch Blog and no independent website seems available for the Family History Library. I would greatly appreciate yur help.

Comment by Joyce Jensen — February 5, 2013 @ 11:49 am

10. Joyce, since none of the lectures have yet been given (the first one is next week), there are not yet any links to post. A week or two after each lecture is given, a recording of that lecture will be made available, and those are the links I will post.

Note, too, that these lectures are sponsored by the CHURCH History Library rather than the FAMILY History Library (they’re two separate organizations), which explains why the the person answering the phone at the FHL was unable to help. The main page for the CHURCH History Library is here. It’s down for maintenance at the moment (the entire lds.org system appears to be affected) — and that is where I expect the lecture links to be made available, after each lecture is given.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 5, 2013 @ 11:58 am

11. Ardis, Thank you for posting this. I heard about this series the other day by someone who had attended Elder Snow’s lecture. I looked in vain for a listing under “events” on lds.org. So I sent in an e-mail. The response gave me a link to your website. So you’re more on the ball than the Church is. I hope they get this posted on their web site soon. They also have not listed the Church History Symposium that will be in the Conference Center Little Theatre next month.

Comment by Sharee Hughes — February 17, 2013 @ 3:48 pm

12. I’m glad you found this, Sharee — I hadn’t realized the Church hadn’t yet posted this information online. They do have a lovely printed brochure available in the Library … but that wouldn’t help people who don’t haunt the library the way I do.

As soon as they post the recording of his talk online (they’re trying to do that very quickly following each lecture in this series), I’ll post a link in my sidebar.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 17, 2013 @ 6:13 pm

13. Do you know if they have put the talks given so far online for us to hear? I’m not sure if I’m looking in the right place. I have searched the church history website and have not been able to find anything and never received a reply when I emailed them about it.

Comment by Shaie — May 28, 2013 @ 8:32 pm

14. Shaie, they’ve put up the first one (February’s lecture by Elder Nash). The later ones don’t seem to be posted yet — I’ll ask about them this week, as soon as I see the woman who has done so much to put the series together.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — May 28, 2013 @ 8:57 pm

15. have they put the talks given on line and if so where. The series in Oct is about one of my ancestors but I won’t be able to attend-would love to hear it

Comment by Elizabeth — September 17, 2013 @ 2:08 pm

16. Elizabeth, the first one of the year (Elder Snow’s) was posted, but they don’t yet seem to have posted any of the others. I don’t know what the delay is, but will ask tomorrow.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — September 17, 2013 @ 5:04 pm

17. did they ever publish the lectures on line? if so where?
    I’m interested in the one of Bathsheba Wilson Smith

Comment by elizabeth — January 31, 2014 @ 2:33 pm

18. Elizabeth, they keep telling me they’re going to post the videos, but I don’t see that it has ever been done. I don’t understand what the problem is, and am as disappointed as you are!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 31, 2014 @ 3:43 pm

19. I’ve watched a few of these online, but now I can only find the last one, which I haven’t watched yet:

Oh, here are some more:

Hope the link works. The East German one is excellent, and if you watch it, make sure you watch through to the very end.

And here’s Bathsheba, if you want to go straight to her lecture:

Comment by Amy T — January 31, 2014 @ 4:45 pm

20. I bow to Amy’s greatness!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 31, 2014 @ 5:08 pm

21. LOL. One of them was on the history.lds.org home page awhile back, so I suspected that unless they had taken them down, they were still there somewhere.

Comment by Amy T — January 31, 2014 @ 5:35 pm