Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1932 (2)

Latter-day Saint Images, 1932 (2)

By: Ardis E. Parshall - January 15, 2013

Wilmington, Delaware
Gleaner Girls
(only three are LDS; the others are friends drawn to the activities of the group)

Hollywood, California

Gleaners from Hyrum, Utah
Visiting Martin Harris Grave at Clarkston

Utah Stake Orchestra

University Ward, Salt Lake City
Colonial Ball

University Branch, Chicago

1. Great photos, as usual. Thanks, Ardis.

Comment by Gary Bergera — January 15, 2013 @ 9:03 am

2. The church no longer owned that building in Chicago when I arrived in 1977–but once our Sunday school class, studying church history that year, made the trip down south of the Midway (into what was then a pretty rough neighborhood) to tour the building.

I wonder, though, with all the changes in that neighborhood, if it’s still standing.

Comment by Mark B. — January 15, 2013 @ 10:05 am

3. The church no longer owned that building in Chicago when I arrived in 1977–but once our Sunday school class, studying church history that year, made the trip down south of the Midway (into what was then a pretty rough neighborhood) to tour the building.

Oh, and great pictures! Thanks, Ardis.

Comment by Mark B. — January 15, 2013 @ 10:06 am

4. That’s one way to run up the comment numbers!

Comment by Mark B. — January 15, 2013 @ 10:19 am

5. I’m going to send that picture to my son who is on his mission in Cardston. He says that the temple is on the city logo, so even the manhole covers have the picture of the temple.

Comment by Carol — January 15, 2013 @ 10:27 am

6. How can I post a picture in a comment?

Comment by Carol — January 15, 2013 @ 10:58 am

7. Carol (and all) — The system won’t allow commenters to add pictures, but I can do it as administrator. If you’d like to email me a .jpg or .bmp (not .pdf) of some image you’d like to post, I’ll post it in a comment with your name. (Use AEParshall [at] aol [dot] com)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 15, 2013 @ 11:32 am

8. I love the picture of the Guides and Trekkers shown here and in other blogs. They always appear to be such innocents. In reality, half of them were probably terrors!

Comment by Maurine Ward — January 15, 2013 @ 7:54 pm

9. Love the pictures. The Arizona scout troop pic reminds me of the scene in the Indiana Jones movie.

The L.A. Gleaners dinner is massive!

Comment by The Other Clark — January 17, 2013 @ 12:57 pm

10. Any names for the Wilmington Gleaners? I don’t think any are still alive, but some of their descendants could be in Wilmington stake.

Comment by John Taber — January 18, 2013 @ 1:54 pm

11. No, sorry, no names.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 18, 2013 @ 2:02 pm

12. Does anyone know if that building in Chicago was built by the Church? Or an approximate location of where it was/is?

Comment by Jonathan — September 23, 2013 @ 9:13 pm

13. Jonathan, this was an existing church building that the LDS Church bought. I think it must be the Logan Square building (corner of Wrightwood and Sawyer Avenues, at least by 1913 addresses) — I don’t know that absolutely, but I’ve seen quite a few references to activities of the University Branch at the Logan Square chapel. The other Chicago chapel owned by the Church at this time was also a purchased existing church, in South Chicago, 10723 Perry Street. Both were dedicated in the same week in 1913. I have no idea whether either building is still standing, or in what condition. If you find out more, we’d love to hear it here.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — September 23, 2013 @ 9:35 pm